Foley heard rumblings Donovan wasn't happy...

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n219336 said:
Foley contacted Lon once he found out Billy D was unhappy and before he knew Billy D was wavering? That's smart...

Lon was contacted when Foley found out that Presti had come-a-knockin.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why would Foley have even the vaguest of interest in an over-the-hill retread like Lon Kruger? The guy's two years older than me, which makes him older than dirt.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n219342]Why would Foley have even the vaguest of interest in an over-the-hill retread like Lon Kruger? The guy's two years older than me, which makes him older than dirt. [/QUOTE]

:D

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n219338]Lots of theories, rumors and plain old speculation in this thread. No one knows for sure. I seriously doubt Donovan was as unhappy as some are alluding here, but I do think he was feeling the impact of years, to the point of possibly feeling stale. Not the first time I've said that, nor should it come as a shock to anyone who's been around the block a few times. Nineteens years is a long time to spend anywhere, let alone at a football factory trying to build your own legacy, for which Donovan succeeded beyond everyone's wildest imagination. He can leave with no regrets, and that's an important consideration here.

As for the impact of the suspended O'Dome renovations, I think it was icing on the cake rather than a precipitating factor. Donovan's probably known for three or four years that he wanted to try the NBA again. IIRC there was a five-year moratorium on his seeking NBA employment again after the 2007 fiasco, and I think the successive Elite Eight appearances coupled with the Final Four berth a year ago with a team that so epitomized what he was all about helped renew him somewhat, just not enough.

At age 50, and with the right opportunity knocking at his door, the timing was right for him to move. It wasn't out of spite -- he spoke of the difficulty in leaving behind the Gainesville experience and the many, many meaningful relationships he'd built over time -- but rather because this is where he wanted to be.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it has to be this way because the other way Foley would be ostracized for running off a HOF coach. How would you feel if he did that?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n219346 said:
Yeah, it has to be this way because the other way Foley would be ostracized for running off a HOF coach. How would you feel if he did that?
No way he ran him off. Did Donovan grow weary of the constant uphill battle involved in building a consistent national contender in Gainesville? That's a possibility, but, jeez, Foley brought him here. I just wish the O'Dome thing hadn't happened so it wouldn't be a point of discussion re Donovan's departure. I really, truly think Foley's reeling a bit over the Muschamp-McElwain 1-2 punch in terms of buyouts.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n219348]
No way he ran him off. Did Donovan grow weary of the constant uphill battle involved in building a consistent national contender in Gainesville? That's a possibility, but, jeez, Foley brought him here. I just wish the O'Dome thing hadn't happened so it wouldn't be a point of discussion re Donovan's departure. I really, truly think Foley's reeling a bit over the Muschamp-McElwain 1-2 punch in terms of buyouts. [/QUOTE]

Not on purpose but by action/inaction. So if Billy got stale after 19 years then what about Foley? How come the same comment doesn't apply to him?

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
T REX;n219349 said:
Not on purpose but by action/inaction. So if Billy got stale after 19 years then what about Foley? How come the same comment doesn't apply to him?

:burn:

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The rumblings are BD was tired of the recruiting. Ian O'Conner with ESPN tweeted that days ago, quoting a BD friend as a source. We heard back in February that the O-dome delay was disappointing because BD had been hyping it up on the recruiting trail and had been behind the scenes lobbying it for years. The sudden IPF may have had nothing to do with the delay, but the perception was there to people outside the program, including the high school coaches of the recruits in question. Remember Rick P's advice to BD before he was hired (stay away; it's a football school). Add this to 19 years at the same job, a strong itch for the NBA, and a good team wanting him, he's gone. I wish him well and thank him a 1000 times for all he gave.

My only concern is what the coaching candidates perceive as Foley tries to woo them to UF.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
i think Billy has wanted to jump ship since the 2nd title. timing was right. don't read too much into it

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I think Billy Donovan was looking at fifty years old. Something happens to you when you get to be 50. Billy Donovan came to a fork in the road. Yogi Berra said if you come to a fork in the road take it.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
He took the last NBA job in his early forties, so it has been something he has wanted to do. No doubt the clock was ticking.

Foley is 0-2 when replacing legends. I hope he gets the next one right. It would be a shame to waste 19 years.

Dec 10, 2014
T REX;n219325 said:
He really can't win here. Had he kept up with the jones's he wouldn't have had to choose. Again, if this is anywhere close to the truth then he should be forced into retirement. No one is going to fire him but it is apparent to me that's he's lost a step in the SEC. Too little too late.

People on this board are so good at spending other people's money. I think Ox should institute a policy. To bitch, moan, and whine about what projects our athletic department authorizes, what decorations we don't have compared to what we do have, what salaries new coaches get, what raises established coaches get, etc., etc., etc., you have to prove 1). You are a UF graduate, and 2). You are donating some form of money to the athletic department. Otherwise you get permabanned if you bitch.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n219342]Why would Foley have even the vaguest of interest in an over-the-hill retread like Lon Kruger[/QUOTE]
because he's the best damn ad in the country! period.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
dubster1;n219414 said:
because he's the best damn ad in the country! period.

You've finally come around. :exactly:

Congratulations! :yes:

And I concur.

:crickets:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n219381 said:
People on this board are so good at spending other people's money. I think Ox should institute a policy. To bitch, moan, and whine about what projects our athletic department authorizes, what decorations we don't have compared to what we do have, what salaries new coaches get, what raises established coaches get, etc., etc., etc., you have to prove 1). You are a UF graduate, and 2). You are donating some form of money to the athletic department. Otherwise you get permabanned if you bitch.

Did Foley not say he wasn't getting into an arms war? Did he say those exact words? Yes. Now we have a HOF coach leave the same year his facility upgrades are postponed. I'm not saying that was the only reason he left but it damn sure played a part.

Maybe Ox should institute a minimum IQ for posters on here...maybe a wonderlic test and if you score below a 30 you can't post. Some people are complete morons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator