Gainesville trip recommendations

Dec 22, 2017
I am planning a vacation for the end of the July. I want to take my kids to the Stadium and let them see the field. Do they still let you do that? I know growing up we would do that. I live in North Alabama so don’t know the ins and outs of things down there. If y’all have any other suggestions to do there please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I like to take out of state visitors to Lake Alice to see real, live gators. You can also do that at Payne’s Prairie. Kids that have never seen one live get pretty excited.

The Devil’s Millhopper is good to visit.

If you go into the stadium, go to the top to see the view.

And, of course, I love to walk through campus and bore people with the stories and memories that percolate with every step.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
You got the stadium down, head to Depot park and the Cade Museum. Although it will probably be hot as hell or raining outside, the Cade is a pretty cool place to spend an hour or two. Good for the kids, kinda neat to see all the history about how Gatorade was invented plus whatever other exhibits they have going on there. From there or maybe before lol walk over to First Magnitude to drink down some cold brews in their tap room. Depending upon when you go, they may have a food truck there with some good food. Otherwise, head over to the 4th Ave food park. They may have a band playing, plus right across the street is Dick Mondells which has some good old fashioned burgers, fries and shakes.

Devils Millhoper is a pretty cool spot, if a bit out of the way but it is a quick stop up and down the sinkhole. In addition to paynes prairie, or an alternative to it, you can go by Sweetwater Wetlands park which was opened a couple of years ago. Pretty cool place as they created it to restore the natural water flow to paynes prairie and recharge the Florida aquifer. Lots of nature, good pics.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The stadium is usually open, though not every gate is open. Your best bet is to try the N end zone (gate 6) or SW corner of the stadium (gate 1) to get in.

Also, next to gate 1 is the Heavener Complex (not to be confused with the new stand alone football facility) where they have the MNC and Heisman trophies on display and also several monitors that show highlights (you can choose season or player highlights, depending on which monitor you're at). However, it's usually closed to the public between semesters. If summer classes are open, I think you're in good shape.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
They may have a band playing, plus right across the street is Dick Mondells which has some good old fashioned burgers, fries and shakes.
Steve Russell, is that you? CUUF makes many good suggestions. Now more reality. The Gville you remember is quickly disappearing. Gdmmm developers and moronic city commisionser have destroyed most of it. If you like realtively tall buidlings you will love it now. If Sweetberries is still open its nice. Corner 5th ave and 13th st. Otherwise. take the kids to Rum Island on the Santa Fe, EXCELLENT spring for swimming and onlly 5 dollars a car load. Its beautiful out there. Then maybe hit up The Great Oudoor Cafe in the middle of High Springs on way back. Pesonally, if you have time head out to Cedar Key. Less than an hour on Archer Road. BUt Devils Millhopper and Paynes Prairie (if they still let you park) are good ones. If you need a tour guide i work cheap.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Steve Russell, is that you? CUUF makes many good suggestions. Now more reality. The Gville you remember is quickly disappearing. Gdmmm developers and moronic city commisionser have destroyed most of it. If you like realtively tall buidlings you will love it now. If Sweetberries is still open its nice. Corner 5th ave and 13th st. Otherwise. take the kids to Rum Island on the Santa Fe, EXCELLENT spring for swimming and onlly 5 dollars a car load. Its beautiful out there. Then maybe hit up The Great Oudoor Cafe in the middle of High Springs on way back. Pesonally, if you have time head out to Cedar Key. Less than an hour on Archer Road. BUt Devils Millhopper and Paynes Prairie (if they still let you park) are good ones. If you need a tour guide i work cheap.

Sweetberries sounds familiar, never been. But I think that’s where my wife met up with a friend and her kids when they passed through town. Odds are good it’s still open.

And yeah, after 29 years of CG service, the return home was a bit alarming. Didn’t have a need to drive down 13th st during our brief visits. Doesn’t feel the same. Can’t say it’s all bad, but I’m not thrilled either. Almost surprised to see the Krispy Kreme has survived…

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Corporate vs Corporate. My grandmothers house was right behind it. High rise now............

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
I was in Gator Country for the FL/LSU weekend basebal and got lost. I lived in Alachua county from '75-'85 and it aint your Grandpa's county anymore.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I hate what has happened to Gainesville. It’s no longer a college town at all.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Haha, no but I get your reference :) No doubt, Gainesville is rapidly changing, particularly from Midtown to Downtown. I believe Sweetberry is closed now for the construction of another 10 story luxury student apartment set. Hell, the Swamp is gone with another 5+ story luxury condo going up. But hey, we have a Dave and Busters and Bass Pro shop now!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The stadium is usually open, though not every gate is open. Your best bet is to try the N end zone (gate 6) or SW corner of the stadium (gate 1) to get in.

Also, next to gate 1 is the Heavener Complex (not to be confused with the new stand alone football facility) where they have the MNC and Heisman trophies on display and also several monitors that show highlights (you can choose season or player highlights, depending on which monitor you're at). However, it's usually closed to the public between semesters. If summer classes are open, I think you're in good shape.
Summer B just started and I think Preview is still going, so most things on campus should be pretty open.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
If you have time rent a tube and float down the Ichetucknee river, crystal clear river about an hour west of Gainesville.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@CU-UF UF covers most of it pretty well. Though I may swap out First Magnitude for Swamphead. Both are really nice, but I like the aesthetics of the latter.

As for the changes mentioned, yeah University from Main to the stadium is night and day. Really need a few Duane Reade’s to complete the transformation, but there are some decent bodegas at least.

One suggestion I’d make is Spurrier’s, just for the nostalgia. The food is good as well. I guess if Steven is trying to get you to take your kids to a place called “Rum Island”, there’s no harm in suggesting the outside bar at Spurrier’s, or the rooftop. The whole Celebration area isn’t my favorite, but it’s decent for kids and families.

Lastly, homeless people, mostly middle aged white men. Hope you’re as big a fan of them as I am. You’ll notice they’ve done some remodeling under the 75 overpasses, Archer and Newberry. I prefer the Newberry one, but just personal preference. In general though, you’ll see these people everywhere, typically within a hundred yards or so of multiple businesses announcing they desperately need workers. Most intersections have at least one person, usually with a sign crafted out of a cardboard box(Jimmy Johns seems to be the go-to for quality). I’ve never actually read what they say, but always assume it’s some type of encouraging message, rooting me on for my day, like in the bicycle races.

Anyway, it’s different overall, but still good, and the stadium/campus experience for them will be great. Hope you and the family have a blast.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Take the phamily to the legendary Satchel's Pizza on 23rd St. Great atmosphere, pizza and beer.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Take the phamily to the legendary Satchel's Pizza on 23rd St. Great atmosphere, pizza and beer.
They also have a location (satch squared) in the 4th Avenue Food Park already mentioned, and it is good. That whole little food park is a hidden jem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator