Gak ineligible

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I am in the "you rarely have too many bigs who can play" camp. (Though UF did get in that position when Kadji had to transfer.) So I wish Gak were getting experience this year.

As for guys in the shortest shelf-life sport going pro and having to settle for making six figures overseas, I support their decisions in general. The baseball peak is 27, but in basketball players tend to peak younger say 25, so your earning years are shorter and you should try to maximize your earnings.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really hope Egbunu stays for his senior year.
As to draftability : Among sophomore centers, Egbunu ranks 3rd in scoring at 11.5 ave and 9th
in rebs at 6.5 . John is slightly taller than the ave NCAA center and a bit heavier than the ave
NCAA center. So I'd say that makes him feasible for an impatient NBA to scarf up -- especially
if he has a strong junior season.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
1. Gak was probably going to redshirt or play mop up minutes
2. He is just out this first year, he will be back next year ready to go
3. If Florida wins the appeal then Gal will have all of his eligibility when he can play starting next season, so it's basically a redshirt year

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am in the you rarely have too many bigs who can play camp. (Though UF did get in that position when Kadji had to transfer.) So I wish Gak were getting experience this year.

As for guys in the shortest shelf-life sport going pro and having to settle for making six figures overseas, I support their decisions in general. The baseball peak is 27, but in basketball players tend to peak younger say 25, so your earning years are shorter and you should try to maximize your earnings.
Yeah I agree with ya on maximizing your earnings. If he wants to go ahead and get started on making 6figures in Europe then I understand that. But we have people thinking he's gonna actually make a nba roster and that's just not gonna happen.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My point form the beginning is that in today's college basketball, especially when you play up tempo like White does, you have to have a minimum of a two deep roster to have any realistic chance for success. In order to maintain any meaningful depth, you have to be grooming young front court players constantly since, like no other sport, everybody thinks they can play at the next level and they are all ready to move up now.

We can look at the roster at any time and project the future a couple of years out but in reality you can't assume anything beyond the current year because of the level of delusion when it comes to NBA viability. Whether the player is ready or not or will ultimately make a roster or not, is of no consequence since once they go (and sign with an agent) they are gone.

All I was saying was that for White to keep the pipeline of bigs going in the short term, it was crucial that Gak get meaningful playing time this year. It appears that he will not be able to get that experience this year and I view that as a problem after the 2016-17 season. I also stated that I think White has the makings of a good team this year, my concern is for 2017-18 when many of the guys playing now will convince themselves that they are ready for the NBA and we will have a huge gap in the front court.

That was my only point.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't be the coach that follows a legendary one. It never turns out well. It won't this time either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.