Gators breakdown article and stats from Will Miles

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When you are dirt poor the cost of attendance stipend makes a hell of a difference! That issue needs to be fixed YESTERDAY....

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When you are dirt poor the cost of attendance stipend makes a hell of a difference! That issue needs to be fixed YESTERDAY....
Don’t they get Pell Grant money too. If they’d stop buying weed and tattoos, that’d make a difference too. But I do agree with you

Mr.Breeze

Jul 18, 2018
Youre silly. Did you.actually read it? He covered exacrly that with a coiple of the people who had top 10 transition classes.

He also did some stuff earlier saying to compete in your conference you basically have to be top 3 in recruiting, and even that is marginal. MOST of the time the team that recruits best wins.

Mullinz was 7th in SEC and will be worse this year. We are currently 11th.

You can say Mullinz record doesnt matter bc he will do better w Florida talent, Ive been told. What do you expect, if he actually continues to bring home less than Cowbell talent?

What’s up with your obsession to always call him Mullinz? Did the guy do something to personally offend you? You know...mom cheats on dad, something like that?

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Wow, your fingers must be sore

You fail to acknowledge that Mullen established these stats, in the most undesirable university (little brother to Ole Miss), in an undesirable town, in arguably the most undesirable state in the country, playing in the toughest division in the toughest conference in all of college football.

I’m not going to the trouble to look it up, but I’ll wager 100 internet dollars that Franklin wasn’t significantly more impressive in his first years at Vandy, and Nashville seriously trumps Starkville in every possible way imaginable, including a straight-up comparison of the universities - in a comparatively weaker division.
Mullens recruiting fell to 41st after he won 9 games.
Vandy is also the worst program in the SEC and a private university with far more rigorous requirements than miss state
They also have less of a budget and recruiting ground

. On November 11, 2012 Vandy became bowl eligible in back to back years for the first time in its 123-year football history. This was the first time since 1935 that Vandy won five SEC games in a year and the first time in 30 years that they won at home against Tennessee. Vanderbilt finished the year with the longest current SEC winning streak. For the first time since 1948, Vanderbilt finished the season with a top 25 ranking.

Franklin became the first Vanderbilt head coach to lead a Commodore team to a bowl game as a first-year head coach. As Franklin is the first coach to bring a Vanderbilt team to a bowl game two years in a row, he also has the most bowl appearances as a Vanderbilt head coach. He has the most wins for consecutive years (15) since 1926–1927.[129]Vanderbilt went to a bowl in back-to-back years for the first time in its history in 2012 and had its first regular season winning record since 1981. It also included the first 9 win season since 1915,[130] and first 8 win season since 1982, including the longest winning streak (7) since 1948 and longest road win streak (4) since 1950. Vanderbilt scored 40 points or more points the most times (5) since 1915. The Commodores defeated rival Tennessee at home for the first time in 30 years; the 41–18 margin the largest since 1954. They also defeated rival Ole Miss in consecutive years for the first time since 1951; and beat rival Kentucky by the largest margin since 1916
. Kicker Carey Spear set a school of 81 points. Running back Zac Stacywas the first Vanderbilt football player to rush for over 3,000 yards in a career or 1,000 yards in back to back years. Receiver Jordan Matthews set a single-season record with 1,262 yards receiving. "Anchor Down" was established as the team's motto during the 2012 season and carried over into the 2013 season.

After the 2013 season Vanderbilt claimed the first back-to-back 9-win seasons in school history, again going to a bowl game, posting records of 10–2 in November under Franklin. Vanderbilt beat Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee in the same season for the first time in school history, including defeating Florida at "the Swamp" for the first time since 1945. Spear broke his previous season's record making 99 points and Jordan Matthews set SEC records of 263 career receptions and 3759 career yards, as well as 112 receptions in a season. Jerron Seymour set the single-season Vanderbilt record for touchdown at 14.
History of Vanderbilt Commodores football - Wikipedia

Franklin pulled in the #26 class AT Vandy in year 3, up from 46 in year 2. Mullen fell from 30 to 41.

No. 14 Vanderbilt: $26.78 million
It’s no surprise to see Vanderbilt football in last place again according to revenue. As the SEC’s only private school, Vanderbilt has a smaller fanbase than the rest of its peers. Vanderbilt even took a slight dip from the previous year’s revenue. It managed a paltry $4.6 million profit in 2015-16.

No. 12 Mississippi State: $35.47 million
Mississippi State’s football revenue continues to improve but it’ll likely always be in the latter-half of the rankings based on stadium capacity and fanbase size. Trying to close the gap with in-state rival Ole Miss should be a reasonable goal, though.
Ranking the richest and poorest SEC football programs

If Starkville is so bad and so undesirable how is it a coach who's never been a D1 coach or coached in the South can be out recruiting Mullen who has an SEC laden staff and a resume of success at. The same exact place?

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I not only read what was posted, but read the entire thing at the link. He did talk about high ranked transition classes. I did not see him make the link to high ranked transition classes affecting the bump class, but maybe I missed it. I looked for it when he talked about the top transition classes and I did not read it as him recognizing that issue.
This some great mental gymnastics

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Youre silly. Did you.actually read it? He covered exacrly that with a coiple of the people who had top 10 transition classes.

He also did some stuff earlier saying to compete in your conference you basically have to be top 3 in recruiting, and even that is marginal. MOST of the time the team that recruits best wins.

Mullinz was 7th in SEC and will be worse this year. We are currently 11th.

You can say Mullinz record doesnt matter bc he will do better w Florida talent, Ive been told. What do you expect, if he actually continues to bring home less than Cowbell talent?
Also the wait til he has Florida talent isn't working either:

1. People keep talking about Meyer’s “national” influence on Mullen and the west-coast recruiting, but this is not what Meyer did to build his roster. Meyer’s first two classes were made up of 65 percent and 63 percent in-state kids (as opposed to Mullen’s 45 percent in 2018). Meyer also landed 10 of the Florida top-25 in his 2006 bump class, giving him a Florida foundation which he augmented with out of state talent.
  2. UF’s highest rated in-state commit is Wardrick Wilson, the 43rd ranked player in the home state. Wilson is a really good player, and Florida needs a bunch more just like him because FSU and Miami have a combined 14 Florida commits ranked higher. Also, the following eight schools have commitments from Florida recruits ranked higher than Florida’s best: Florida State, Miami, Penn State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Clemson, Georgia and Ohio State.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
People are working extra hard to make that crystal ball work perfectly for them. There is a lot to consider when weighing the recruiting at UF today. Things such as still trailing in the amenities dept, almost of decade of mediocrity or worse on the field, especially offensively, the change in the conference balance of power and, also, state competition. There is a ton of rot to rebuild, and we have been asleep for too long.

This is an unique situation for this university, for this century, at least, due to the failings of the past decade, so I am not surprised things are not immediately shaping up.

Why don't we stop pretending we know what's going to happen, step back off the ledge (for now) and see if the program can stop the bleeding/sliding and start to trend in the right direction by the end of the season?

Exactly. Well put.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
What’s up with your obsession to always call him Mullinz? Did the guy do something to personally offend you? You know...mom cheats on dad, something like that?

You just haven't been around long enough to see that the donk insults anyone and everyone. Other forum members coaches and current and past players are not exempt. If you are planning to stick around, you will just have to get used to it but by all means feel free to call him out and shame him whenever possible....

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I think once you get it going there can be some momentum at least for a while. I think it is surprisingly non-transferable, as in Bielema seemingly had it going at Wisconsin, but could not transfer that to UAR.

Right place, right time for most. The notable exceptions are Saban and Meyer.

I was thinking this morning: We will find out in the next few years if Mullen is more like Gerry DiNardo or Jim Franklin.

Last edited:

Mr.Breeze

Jul 18, 2018
Mullens recruiting fell to 41st after he won 9 games.
Vandy is also the worst program in the SEC and a private university with far more rigorous requirements than miss state
They also have less of a budget and recruiting ground

. On November 11, 2012 Vandy became bowl eligible in back to back years for the first time in its 123-year football history. This was the first time since 1935 that Vandy won five SEC games in a year and the first time in 30 years that they won at home against Tennessee. Vanderbilt finished the year with the longest current SEC winning streak. For the first time since 1948, Vanderbilt finished the season with a top 25 ranking.

Franklin became the first Vanderbilt head coach to lead a Commodore team to a bowl game as a first-year head coach. As Franklin is the first coach to bring a Vanderbilt team to a bowl game two years in a row, he also has the most bowl appearances as a Vanderbilt head coach. He has the most wins for consecutive years (15) since 1926–1927.[129]Vanderbilt went to a bowl in back-to-back years for the first time in its history in 2012 and had its first regular season winning record since 1981. It also included the first 9 win season since 1915,[130] and first 8 win season since 1982, including the longest winning streak (7) since 1948 and longest road win streak (4) since 1950. Vanderbilt scored 40 points or more points the most times (5) since 1915. The Commodores defeated rival Tennessee at home for the first time in 30 years; the 41–18 margin the largest since 1954. They also defeated rival Ole Miss in consecutive years for the first time since 1951; and beat rival Kentucky by the largest margin since 1916
. Kicker Carey Spear set a school of 81 points. Running back Zac Stacywas the first Vanderbilt football player to rush for over 3,000 yards in a career or 1,000 yards in back to back years. Receiver Jordan Matthews set a single-season record with 1,262 yards receiving. "Anchor Down" was established as the team's motto during the 2012 season and carried over into the 2013 season.

After the 2013 season Vanderbilt claimed the first back-to-back 9-win seasons in school history, again going to a bowl game, posting records of 10–2 in November under Franklin. Vanderbilt beat Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee in the same season for the first time in school history, including defeating Florida at "the Swamp" for the first time since 1945. Spear broke his previous season's record making 99 points and Jordan Matthews set SEC records of 263 career receptions and 3759 career yards, as well as 112 receptions in a season. Jerron Seymour set the single-season Vanderbilt record for touchdown at 14.
History of Vanderbilt Commodores football - Wikipedia

Franklin pulled in the #26 class AT Vandy in year 3, up from 46 in year 2. Mullen fell from 30 to 41.

No. 14 Vanderbilt: $26.78 million
It’s no surprise to see Vanderbilt football in last place again according to revenue. As the SEC’s only private school, Vanderbilt has a smaller fanbase than the rest of its peers. Vanderbilt even took a slight dip from the previous year’s revenue. It managed a paltry $4.6 million profit in 2015-16.

No. 12 Mississippi State: $35.47 million
Mississippi State’s football revenue continues to improve but it’ll likely always be in the latter-half of the rankings based on stadium capacity and fanbase size. Trying to close the gap with in-state rival Ole Miss should be a reasonable goal, though.
Ranking the richest and poorest SEC football programs

If Starkville is so bad and so undesirable how is it a coach who's never been a D1 coach or coached in the South can be out recruiting Mullen who has an SEC laden staff and a resume of success at. The same exact place?

Holy crap man, you need help

Mr.Breeze

Jul 18, 2018
You just haven't been around long enough to see that the donk insults anyone and everyone. Other forum members coaches and current and past players are not exempt. If you are planning to stick around, you will just have to get used to it but by all means feel free to call him out and shame him whenever possible....

So he’s like 12, right?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Right place, right time for most. The notable exceptions are Saban and Meyer.

I was thinking this morning: We will find out in the next few years if Mullen is more like Gerry DiNardo or Jim Franklin.

How is Saban an exception? Saban was mediocre but playing politics at Mich State so every one said he was an up and comer. He did not raise Mich State to the level that Dantonio did in fact he trailed Dantonio by 11 games in the best 3 year run either had there. Saban was also only pretty good at LSU. He did begin showing his political skills in getting an INVITED to the BCS championship game despite losing AT HOME. Political skills and lobbying are to me the defining trait of Saban. Similarly he was not great in the NFL.

He has gotten it going at UAL and really honed those lobbying skills. That said, it is not at all clear that Saban translates any place else or not.

Meyer on the other hand clearly does translate any place. As much as I don't like his act, he is the best coach around when he is coaching.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

He is allowed (in his mind) to call Mullen Mullinz and UK, Kintucky but other people like me are not allowed to abbreviate the names of other programs they way they want without Donk and his various sock puppets coming after them. I am not really sure of his politics, but that level of hypocrisy smacks of being a leftist.

That aside to me the biggest issue is Donk's sock puppets. I am here for Gator conversation and there is a lot of good Gator discussion here. I do worry sometimes about what percentage of the conversation here is Donk and his various sock puppets, ie one person.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What’s up with your obsession to always call him Mullinz?
Nats Moore said Percy Harvins and Dan Mullinz were the most important part of the 06-08 teams.

Please don't act like you know more about the team than Nats.

I don't have an I'm pissed at him yet name. Maybe Shytters Full, I don't know. We will see when I am pissed. I didn't like the hire, but I will probably make up my mind depending on what he does with the assistants this winter if our recruiting continues to suck.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes.

895807bec91956f23e6c48be26558de7.jpg

Please note:

Same dashing figure

Same dopey expression

No one has EVER seen Fuller and The Grimace in the same room at the same time.

So.... related to Charley Cheeseburger, too, then?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, your fingers must be sore

You fail to acknowledge that Mullen established these stats, in the most undesirable university (little brother to Ole Miss), in an undesirable town, in arguably the most undesirable state in the country, playing in the toughest division in the toughest conference in all of college football.
This is no doubt true, but it is also no doubt true that Mullinz is recruiting worse than the new HBC in that trailerpark we call Cowbell. The theory that he will be better with Fla talent has problems if he can't recruit Florida talent, right?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
People are working extra hard to make that crystal ball work perfectly for them.
Wazzup, Jay! Welcome back!

It's still a message board, bro, in the off-season.

At least we arent talking about European kickball!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator