Gators Defense

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
What stopped Kentucky in the 4th was them taking their foot off the gas, in the 3rd our best D was their center hiking the ball over the QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Can you explain to me how we stopped them when it mattered? What stopped them from winning was the kicker not having enough leg. It was a penalty on defense that got them that far up field to begin with. What stopped them from winning was not 1 but 2 plays in which they left a Wr uncovered with no help up top. Also a missed fg earlier in the game it wasn't nothing that the defense did to win the game.

With all that said I'm stocked to get the W no matter how terrible it looked getting there.

Gladly, we succeeded offensively in similar play-styles that they succeeded vs us on occassions: by also clumsy defenders' mistakes taken advantage of. That is exactly what produced our 2 wide open forgotten WRs TDs. But the drive sustaining proper runs by Malik Davis powered that win where he slithered through vs decent stack-box run defense. That process should develop better as Davis & OL click better. Davis rewards each OLman's good block with drive sustaining run gains. That inspires the blockers when our HC's "pepzen" won't.

There are way too many flawed fundamentals/details practices not developing player position execution. Our players are being betrayed by their inept coach-staff. They & we fans deserve much better.

Last edited:

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Two of the TDs were over Washington and Dawson both in one on one coverage. Washington we all know isn't as good as some of the recent Safeties we've had when he's in one on one. Dawson is not a true corner. In comparison I think Wilson and Henderson have looked like shutdown, future NFL corners. Henderson has the two pick 6s and nearly got another one today. Wilson has been probably the most aggressive and solid player on the whole D. Somebody said we recruited three stars to replace NFL players. I don't think any of those guys were three stars. Maybe Wilson. LB is a different story. We're thin and it definitely shows. D line at times has been disappointing too. CeCe, Zuniga, Polite and some others all were over over pursuing at times. Plus I think everyone saw how poor the tacking was especially early in the game. This doesn't look like a Gator D. Gator Defenses swarm to the ball and tackle well. I actually have faith that Shannon and that side of the staff can maybe work with this young D and they'll improve.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Two of the TDs were over Washington and Dawson both in one on one coverage. Washington we all know isn't as good as some of the recent Safeties we've had when he's in one on one. Dawson is not a true corner. In comparison I think Wilson and Henderson have looked like shutdown, future NFL corners. Henderson has the two pick 6s and nearly got another one today. Wilson has been probably the most aggressive and solid player on the whole D. Somebody said we recruited three stars to replace NFL players. I don't think any of those guys were three stars. Maybe Wilson. LB is a different story. We're thin and it definitely shows. D line at times has been disappointing too. CeCe, Zuniga, Polite and some others all were over over pursuing at times. Plus I think everyone saw how poor the tacking was especially early in the game. This doesn't look like a Gator D. Gator Defenses swarm to the ball and tackle well. I actually have faith that Shannon and that side of the staff can maybe work with this young D and they'll improve.
Youth.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think we all knew the D was going to be like this. Didn't need a post after the third game to know that.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
If anyone thought our defense was going to be vaunted this year, then they know very little about football. Very similar to the 2007 defense with only Joyner and Harvey returning and mostly frosh and sophs who never played. And beating UT that year 52-20 early in the year was the worst thing that could have happened to a non-knowledegable fan.

With that said, I will take Shannon over SideHat any day, but I am not going to make excuses for him. He does need to make some adjustments. But let's state the obvious. We really do not have one single SEC LB on the roster or that is playing. Perhaps Johnson could be, but it does not appear he is coming back. Reese and Joseph are slow to react or pick up anything. Garcia is a good story but lets face it a walk on talent wise. Jackson is just not good. I said in another thread it is time to show the bench permanently to Washington and Gardner. Just let everyone of the true freshmen play and perhaps we might stumble onto a real safety. I think the young CB's are holding their own for the most part, but as usual a safety in a Gator uniform means no ball skills, no route recognition skills, blown assignments, etc. So basically Shannon is working with an under talented, non athletic group on defense, but it is still possible to have a more than serviceable unit with some better coaching.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Can you explain to me how we stopped them when it mattered? What stopped them from winning was the kicker not having enough leg. It was a penalty on defense that got them that far up field to begin with. What stopped them from winning was not 1 but 2 plays in which they left a Wr uncovered with no help up top. Also a missed fg earlier in the game it wasn't nothing that the defense did to win the game.

With all that said I'm stocked to get the W no matter how terrible it looked getting there.

Yep after watching that kicker on some kickoffs I thought he would have kicked it far enough for sure and it would just be an accuracy issue.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
If the LB are always lost, just blitz them :) simple task, get the guy with the ball. But if the can't tackle will that even work.. lol..

We do not have good enough coverage guys to allow ANY qb time. We are trying to play the odds on the bend but don't break theory that the other guy will make mistakes and implode. Well it barely freakin worked against KY and they gave us boat loads of implosions

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
We've taken a step back in every phase of the game all three's years this fk stick has been our coach. What area are we better in? So of course the D is worse, we have recruited like shyt compared to the rest of our SEC brethren. You couple that with incompetency at coaching and you got what we have now.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We're 2-1 with the 82nd defense and 179th offense. That constitutes magic. We need to extend David Copperfield another season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What stopped Kentucky in the 4th was them taking their foot off the gas, in the 3rd our best D was their center hiking the ball over the QB.
Yes, like Tinerc two years ago.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We're 2-1 with the 82nd defense and 179th offense. That constitutes magic. We need to extend David Copperfield another season.
I think we are ranked lower than 82nd on defense.

I guess not. I have to like our odds of catching North Texas though.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
1. No it was not targeting.

2. Yes it gets called every time, by idiots.

3. I defy anyone to intentionally hit an SEC level back in the head on a running play. You are trying to get what ever you can. An no player can not know in advance when a guy with the ball is going to go low.

The main problem I have with the targeting call is that a full-speed tackler launches himself into the air and during that the ball carrier ducks headfirst low.?? What could have been a chest-high "target" becomes head on head due to the runner.?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Shannon wasn't instrumental in recruiting defensive players?
touche but not completely. he wasn't DC then and he doesn't control the recruiting coordinator and staff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The main problem I have with the targeting call is that a full-speed tackler launches himself into the air and during that the ball carrier ducks headfirst low.?? What could have been a chest-high "target" becomes head on head due to the runner.?
guys it's no different than a fask mask or a horsecollar, used to be legal, isn't anymore. if these guys were playing backyard football with their cousins and brothers, would they launch face to face and risk snapping necks, breaking heads, busting teeeth and noses? no.

it's no different. they CAN control it.

moreover it isn't changing regardless. head to head and your are out. i would like to see penalties for rbs lowering their heads too though. the other option is the trial attorneys taking football from us altogether.

the added benefit is we may see better TACKLING and less formless hitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.