Gators passing game puts in extra time during offseason with eye on title

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
This story from the Orlando Sentinel is very encouraging when it comes to the intangibles that define a team.

When all your key skill players are committed to extra practice toward the next season that is a good thing. When that group includes all the star players along with all the up and coming players that is a great thing. When your team's leaders are the instigators of these sessions and are also using them to bring along the newer and younger players that is excellent. The most outstanding part of all, however, is the camaraderie they are establishing by having these sessions extend into just hanging out together and staying out of trouble. Not only does that keep everyone out of the late night clubs but it also creates the kind of mutual respect and devotion between teammates that is at the core of truly high performing teams.

Nice to see this kind of off season report after some of the off-seasons of recent years (ex. credit card fiasco). I really think Mullen's cultural influences are starting to settle in which is a very good thing given the priority he places on character and a team first mindset. I think it is stories like this that give me the most hope going into the coming season because it implies that sum of this team may be better than the parts. Given the increased value of those parts over years past, I believe this may indeed bode well for 2019.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The talent is there in the WR group, add in TE and RB that can catch, there should be a mismatch on every play. Guys will be open, just need the Oline to hold and Franks to get the ball to them,

Gawd it will be fun to finally watch some down field passing after the clusterfck decade.

Go Gators

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Waiting for the "Hedge" betters to speak up.

Nice thread....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
? Mullen the turnaround coach ?
I'm sure he knows how much it will help recruiting for players to shine at winning with leaps of joy, all smiles and laughter on TV games.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Waiting for the "Hedge" betters to speak up.

Nice thread....

Are you talking about me because I say the WRs will not have big numbers most likely due to Franks? I believe we have the 2nd best group in the SEC to Bama but I also am realistic and think due to Franks limitations their numbers while better this season won't come close to reflecting that.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
As you wish... note yards per pass play.
upload_2019-7-26_18-32-27-png.15962

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Back in the day I travelled SW2nd Ave several times a day. More often than not Id see Danny, Kresser and others w the receivers out there throwing passes, over and over and over. Fades especially. Tens of thousands. I posted that once on twitter and Quezzie said tens of thousands.

SOS had exact footwork for each position, an exact way to throw pass, exact place where it will be at an exact time. One guy had a stopwatch. It had to be perfect.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Footwork is so important for a passer. Franks' footwork was horrible when he arrived here. Curious how much DM has worked on it.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Back in the day I travelled SW2nd Ave several times a day. More often than not Id see Danny, Kresser and others w the receivers out there throwing passes, over and over and over. Fades especially. Tens of thousands. I posted that once on twitter and Quezzie said tens of thousands.

SOS had exact footwork for each position, an exact way to throw pass, exact place where it will be at an exact time. One guy had a stopwatch. It had to be perfect.

Great post swonk. Wish I could like it more than once.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This story from the Orlando Sentinel is very encouraging when it comes to the intangibles that define a team.

When all your key skill players are committed to extra practice toward the next season that is a good thing. When that group includes all the star players along with all the up and coming players that is a great thing. When your team's leaders are the instigators of these sessions and are also using them to bring along the newer and younger players that is excellent. The most outstanding part of all, however, is the camaraderie they are establishing by having these sessions extend into just hanging out together and staying out of trouble. Not only does that keep everyone out of the late night clubs but it also creates the kind of mutual respect and devotion between teammates that is at the core of truly high performing teams.

Nice to see this kind of off season report after some of the off-seasons of recent years (ex. credit card fiasco). I really think Mullen's cultural influences are starting to settle in which is a very good thing given the priority he places on character and a team first mindset. I think it is stories like this that give me the most hope going into the coming season because it implies that sum of this team may be better than the parts. Given the increased value of those parts over years past, I believe this may indeed bode well for 2019.
Maybe this reputation will overcome recruiting closing capabilities.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I used to love someone blitzing because generally a td.
I'm wearing O&B glasses, and my memory sucks, but it seems like in Dannys senior year, everytime he audibled, it resulted in a TD.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

One of my favorite HBC stories is that first year when Shane Matthews kept missing corner routes in practice SOS angrily grabbed the ball sent the receiver on the route and then dropped a dime on him and then stared down Matthews until he looked away.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One of my favorite HBC stories is that first year when Shane Matthews kept missing corner routes in practice SOS angrily grabbed the ball sent the receiver on the route and then dropped a dime on him and then stared down Matthews until he looked away.
I remember people saying SOS just wanted to play a few more years himself.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm wearing O&B glasses, and my memory sucks, but it seems like in Dannys senior year, everytime he audibled, it resulted in a TD.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
So, when they audibled, it was usually into exactly the right play for the defense bc the play itself didn't have an answer for whatever the D was doing. I posted the SOS playbook a while back and all the plays had adjustments for the defense, receivers ran different routes depending on what the DBs did without changing the play. It really is a simple playbook as far as college playbooks go.

It's much like Mullinz having Franks count the box, see only 5 or whatever and running a QB draw. It's going to work unless the QB just screws up completely with the read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator