Gervon Dexter needs better advisors

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I love Gervon and hope he wins just because of that. But this is why you can’t have kids and families of modest means negotiating contracts without legal knowledge. This will be the first of many.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nice spellcheck on (sic) Gainsville. :lol: When the NIL, federal income tax, state income tax and then the new lawyer's fee are all factored in, Gervon will wind up with less than minimum wage.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
25% of GROSS. Damn!!

25+25 FIT+5 SIT+8 FICA

63% gone before he gets anything.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Item #18, second paragraph.

"An athlete agent shall not enter into an agent contract that purports to or takes effect at a future time after the student athlete no longer has remaining eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Such a contract is void and unenforceable."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This looks like nothing more than a scumbag taking advantage of someone.

There are multiple Big League Advance Fund LPs registered. They're pooled investment funds and all offer upfront money for a percent of future earnings, generally up to 10%. There appear to be several active complaints against them.

At 15% Dexter really got taken for a ride.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This entity he entered into an agreement with is, for all practical intents, a hedge fund. So am I right in my understanding that Dexter went into this negotiation with no formal representation? I'd say he was fairly overmatched if so.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
There are multiple Big League Advance Fund LPs registered. They're pooled investment funds and all offer upfront money for a percent of future earnings, generally up to 10%. There appear to be several active complaints against them.

At 15% Dexter really got taken for a ride.
Sort of sounds like a version of a Structured Settlement.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Am I a dirtbag if I want to invest in the defendant’s business model?

Just curious, do all draft eligible players accept Oxbucks?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014

I thought the 50 million dollar Hawkins center that we built years ahead of a stand alone football facility was supposed to tutor and also educate the players about situations just like this. I'm obviously mistaken.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sort of sounds like a version of a Structured Settlement.

No, it's structured differently. It's a pooled fund. The firm, founded by a former major-league pitcher, is targeting young athletes by advancing large lump sums in exchange for future, market-adjusted scrapes against earned income, almost as if they're pedaling a flipping annuity. The scrape is so high that they're putting the financial future of young and financially unsophisticated athletes into jeopardy by what amounts to a form of indentured servitude.

It's that predatory and that likely to come under intense scrutiny. As I mentioned earlier, there are multiple suits of the nature of Dexter's filed against Big League Advance.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Item #18, second paragraph.

"An athlete agent shall not enter into an agent contract that purports to or takes effect at a future time after the student athlete no longer has remaining eligibility to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Such a contract is void and unenforceable."

It doesn’t appear to me that they are acting as his agent so I don’t think this applies. It looks like they agreed to front him money for a cut of future earnings. I’m not saying what they did is right but I don’t think the agent law applies here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator