Give Emmitt a statue

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree. Tim Tebow was a greater collegiate player. He did it with his arm, he did it with his legs. We damn well know he did it with his heart and from the sheer force of his will.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Emmitt was great at Florida. He was an icon in the nfl. He certainly earned a statue... outside Cowboys Stadium. And in Canton, Ohio.

There are many Gator greats that don’t have statues. Wilber Marshall and Jack Youngblood are HOF players (Wilber is in the college version, Jack is in the pro version) and they aren’t getting statues. The three that have them did something greater than the rest - they won CFBs most prestigious award. To me, the debate is silly.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Emmitt was great at Florida. He was an icon in the nfl. He certainly earned a statue... outside Cowboys Stadium. And in Canton, Ohio.

There are many Gator greats that don’t have statues. Wilber Marshall and Jack Youngblood are HOF players (Wilber is in the college version, Jack is in the pro version) and they aren’t getting statues. The three that have them did something greater than the rest - they won CFBs most prestigious award. To me, the debate is silly.
I agree all Gator greats but still he is the Best Football player to ever were a Gator Uniform. One of the greatest players to ever live , why not channel that type of Rock Star status to Florida's advantage, it wouldn't have to be with the others, I still abide by my original statement that a little racial diversity would only be a positive.
Ive never seen Young black kids getting their picture made with our current statues.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Disagree. Tim Tebow was a greater collegiate player. He did it with his arm, he did it with his legs. We damn well know he did it with his heart and from the sheer force of his will.

Yeah, but Timmy played four years which gave him another year to show his greatness, so...that's really not very fair, is it? I mean, wouldn't you have to remove Timmy's senior season from consideration in order to make it a more fair comparison? And what about the extra games Timmy played in each season? Huh? What about those? :dunno:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I agree all Gator greats but still he is the Best Football player to ever were a Gator Uniform. One of the greatest players to ever live , why not channel that type of Rock Star status to Florida's advantage, it wouldn't have to be with the others, I still abide by my original statement that a little racial diversity would only be a positive.
Ive never seen Young black kids getting their picture made with our current statues.
It’s an unwinnable argument because it’s subjective. I think Timmy is the greatest Gator football player. His skill set didn’t transfer to the NFL. That earns him a statue here but not in the pros.

Additionally, it’s not like Emmitt is out selling the Gator brand or acting like a Gator great. He acts like a Cowboy icon.... because he is. He doesn’t do a bunch of events. He’s one of the few players I can recall giving HOF speeches that didn’t mention their college team.

If you want diversity amongst the statues for some reason, there are better Gator great choices. Wilber is mine.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but Timmy played four years which gave him another year to show his greatness, so...that's really not very fair, is it? I mean, wouldn't you have to remove Timmy's senior season from consideration in order to make it a more fair comparison? And what about the extra games Timmy played in each season? Huh? What about those? :dunno:
It's the extra games that make me appreciate Tebow. It's the leadership like he showed after Ole Miss that makes me sure.

But, yes, having played one extra season does help his cause.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Depends on how you look at it. It certainly boosts Timmy’s stats but the argument isn’t only statistical. Timmy gave 4 years to this university. Those four years were probably the greatest 4 years in this school’s football history and he was the leader and face of that. Emmitt did his 3 great years and jumped. They weren’t particularly memorable other than the fact that they directly preceded the Spurrier era, the greatest total era in school history.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
What's the criteria for getting your postgame speech on the wall. I mean, was it necessary to have Timmy's blubbering, snot bubble blowing tirade bronzed and mounted on the stadium for eternity. Of course it wasn't, but Urban knew how to sell the brand.
.That's the argument here, we should capitalize on the fact that an icon at all levels of the game played here, and I don't think a single former player would have a problem with it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What's the criteria for getting your postgame speech on the wall. I mean, was it necessary to have Timmy's blubbering, snot bubble blowing tirade bronzed and mounted on the stadium for eternity. Of course it wasn't, but Urban knew how to sell the brand.
.That's the argument here, we should capitalize on the fact that an icon at all levels of the game played here, and I don't think a single former player would have a problem with it.
Blubbering and snot-bubble blowing? Was I watching the same post-game presser?

All I remember is we didn't lose again and we ended up claiming a national championship. Those kinds of things tend to earn special attention.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Like it or not Young black men need roll models that are black if you don't understand that you probably voted forTrump. Im just saying it would be a positive in recruiting, and since 75 percent of our player are black I can't see and negative in having more visible black role models.

So we should change the rules because the color of his skin?

He's one of the best pro football running backs of all time, he's not in the top 100 college running backs of the past 30 years. If we're putting up statues because someone made it big after they left then why not put up a statue of Cam Newton? Hell at least Newton won the heisman.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you erect a statue for Emmitt, you have to do the same for Nat Moore, Wes Chandler, Wilber Marshall and Percy Harvin. They were superlative athletes as well. You make the entire idea of having statues open for debate.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015

Yeah, he blew a big snot bubble on the way to another Natty. I know you're not attempting to denigrate the event but it was as iconic as it could get and I'll take it. I can only think of one other speech as well known and that would be the Gipper. Emmitt wearing a Dwag hat though is pretty iconic as well.

So no, I dont think Emmitt by himself deserves a statue, for all the aforementioned reasons although I would happily reminisce by it, because why you wanna' disrespect Jack Youngblood? Greatest defender in UF history, NFL HOF, played with a broken leg in three games, how much more iconic can you get than that?

What I think would be cool as hell, although it will never happen, would be to have a statue garden on the north lawn at the Swamp. What an attraction that would be! Only three SEC schools have player statues for football achievements: Auburn-3; UF-3; TAMU-1. Several have coaches though. A garden would be amazing but as we're arguing here how do you set the criteria for inclusion? And just football? What about the '04's? And so on and so forth. A UF Hall of Fame encompassing all sports would be such a draw, but a statue garden would be epic.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Blubbering and snot-bubble blowing? Was I watching the same post-game presser?

All I remember is we didn't lose again and we ended up claiming a national championship. Those kinds of things tend to earn special attention.
Trust me, it got special attention, but a bronze plaque, seriously?
A good portion of Gatornation actually believe Tebow willed us to that NC, not the hard work and dedication of 84 other players that were not asked to step to the podium that day. I'm sure every player to a man felt the same way he did, but Timmy is the one immortalized on the stadium wall and I'm also sure a lot of players have a problem with it.

It's my opinion, and that's all we have here, is it's things like this that divided the team a led directly to Urbans broken program.
78 we are down and we are trending down more every single day. We need change on many levels and if you and and the others here who I think are greatest fans we have can't see it then I really don't think we make it back.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure about the Greatest Gator.......close with Tebow or Danny, but by far the Greatest Football player to ever wear a Gator Uniform.
By far? Tim Tebow's stats and accomplishments absolutely dwarf what Emmitt did at UF.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trust me, it got special attention, but a bronze plaque, seriously?
A good portion of Gatornation actually believe Tebow willed us to that NC, not the hard work and dedication of 84 other players that were not asked to step to the podium that day. I'm sure every player to a man felt the same way he did, but Timmy is the one immortalized on the stadium wall and I'm also sure a lot of players have a problem with it.

It's my opinion, and that's all we have here, is it's things like this that divided the team a led directly to Urbans broken program.
78 we are down and we are trending down more every single day. We need change on many levels and if you and and the others here who I think are greatest fans we have can't see it then I really don't think we make it back.
If Tebow had teammates who harbored ill feelings over his words being immortalized in a plaque, you probably have succeeded in adding impetus to the notion that the Heisman criterion is spot on.

I mean, what about all the guys who made blocks for Emmitt?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Yeah, he blew a big snot bubble on the way to another Natty. I know you're not attempting to denigrate the event but it was as iconic as it could get and I'll take it. I can only think of one other speech as well known and that would be the Gipper. Emmitt wearing a Dwag hat though is pretty iconic as well.

So no, I dont think Emmitt by himself deserves a statue, for all the aforementioned reasons although I would happily reminisce by it, because why you wanna' disrespect Jack Youngblood? Greatest defender in UF history, NFL HOF, played with a broken leg in three games, how much more iconic can you get than that?

What I think would be cool as hell, although it will never happen, would be to have a statue garden on the north lawn at the Swamp. What an attraction that would be! Only three SEC schools have player statues for football achievements: Auburn-3; UF-3; TAMU-1. Several have coaches though. A garden would be amazing but as we're arguing here how do you set the criteria for inclusion? And just football? What about the '04's? And so on and so forth. A UF Hall of Fame encompassing all sports would be such a draw, but a statue garden would be epic.
I think it is an awesome idea and Jack, Wes and Wibur would be at the top of my list of inclusion, after Emmitt of course.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
If Tebow had teammates who harbored ill feelings over his words being immortalized in a plaque, you probably have succeeded in adding impetus to the notion that the Heisman criterion is spot on.

I mean, what about all the guys who made blocks for Emmitt?
I'm losing a little steam here, but I have to say I have a huge problem with the criteria as it stands now, there was a time when I trusted the sports writers to make a decision like this, but those days are gone, and in the future it could possibly be laughable. I mean do you really think it's a good idea to leave this decision in the hands of the Bowl and his internet blabbing millenials.

As for Emmitts line I watched the video and it stuck out to me how awesome they were and sadly I couldn't name a single one of them, but it also speaks volumes about the current criteria in that the automatically eliminated them before they ever play a game.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Tracy Daniels*
OL
John Durden* OL
Richard Starowesky* OL
David Williams* OL
Cal Dixon OL
Brad Hatcher OL
Hesham Ismail OL

and QBs like Kyle Morris and Herbert Perry and Mike McQuagge