Give me 11 Latskos and I'll trade you one Tebow

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I was looking back on some footage from "back in the day" and I humbly underestimated the caliber that Latsko brought to the table. The pass pick ups the blocks in the red zone something that made players like Tebow and Harvins shine. Imagine what this team would be like be like with a few more Latskos on here. And I know some will say it's the coaching or the play calls (I for one have criticized the moronic play calls), but plays don't score the points, plays don't make young kids want to want to play for UF, it's players who become legends like Tebow and Harvins and Wuerffel, that young players want to idolize, however it's the Latsko's of the team that dig deep pick up the blocks, take on 2 LBs at the 2 yard line to spring a score. So I'll take 11 Billy Latskos who gave their heart and soul for UF no matter their "star" as long as they gave everything they had to UF and never let up, gave up and made the SEC once again fear the gator...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I loved billy... he was a great gator and a role model, tough nosed and as fierce as they come. That pass out of the flat he took for big yards and trucked osuck defenders during the title game was classic hardnosed football at its finest.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Another example of how one coach made adjustments to his offense (adding a fullback) and another coach doing absolutely nothing to adjust his offense that obviously isn't working. Hardheadedness will get someone fired quickly.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Latsko was great... we also had a pretty good FB in 2012 under Muschamp... blanking on his name, but he took out two guys on Mike G's TD run in the 4th quarter.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Another example of how one coach made adjustments to his offense (adding a fullback) and another coach doing absolutely nothing to adjust his offense that obviously isn't working. Hardheadedness will get someone fired quickly.
meyer always adjusted... was good at halftime adjustments as well. now we just take naps during the break. butters pumps in soothing music to help them get in the mood.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The fact we have zero backs or TE's that can pass block says enough. Every time JC is in they know its pass just like every time Fullwood is in they know its run to his side. Still don't know how they couldn't find some goal line plays for a 6-5 receiver that is a match up nightmare even if that is all he does.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Imagine Perine and Scarlett with One Latsko or Joyner in the backfield or in motion....Wow.....

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Thompson has the size. Maybe not the willingness to give of himself for the sake of the team?
This was my point.... I don't think anyone does..... sad to say but strapping up in the orange and blue just isn't enough now...no pride no loyalty with grad transfers or transfers for that matter....bleed the Fn Orange and Blue like you were born there... (I was born at Shands)....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Having a great fullback like Billy Latsko would make a big difference IMHO.
I honestly think Joyer was slightly better but they are two of my favorites.

I have no faith that either would play for this HBC and OC.

meyer always adjusted... was good at halftime adjustments as well. now we just take naps during the break. butters pumps in soothing music to help them get in the mood.

That's a weird memory. What you should also remember is that they moved Lastsko first to H back, then to WR ( :lmao2:) then to LB before they moved him to FB when Meyer learned "you needed to have a fullback because of the size of SEC LBs. (Motioning a WR inside and using them to block worked in the WAC's 195-205 lb linebackers, but not in the SEC.)

THEN WE ABANDONED THE FB IN 2007
and never recruited another...even as our coaches complained about lack of production from the RBs.

Mike Gillislee is also another example of failing to adjust. We kept "pounding" the middle with Demps and Rainey, and bytched constantly about having no running game, all while letting Gillislee sit because he wasn't a scatback smurf.

Don't even get me started about trying to run the damn option with Leak and Brantley.

Adjust my azz. He never adjusted a damn thing.

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
After watching that video of GIlly our guys need to learn to break the shoe string tackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator