GNFP Film Break down v Tennessee

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

He likes Mullens play calling. EJ getting a little better but still frustrating decision making and stop patting the damn ball!

Haven't watched defense yet. Too late to start drinking.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
My eyes didn't deceive me: Emory is being effective in running this offense, but it could be so much better if he weren't consistently late on throws. This guy seems to think thats just what we'll get with Emory. I'm hoping playing time will speed him up.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Those offensive gnfp critiques show EJ doing many "things" wrong. Not setting to throw, throwing too late. not seeing the better reads etc.
Doing those after 3 years in this system. Would freshman AR be making those mistakes.? A team against whom EJ runs for 144, what would harder to catch, harder to tackle AR amass.? We should find out soon. Right.?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Emory Jones cannot anticipate the throw, he has to wait and wait and wait. Will bite you in the ass. The narrator here keeps calling Emory a RB playing QB, not the other way around.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Defense notes
Some better play
Helm…..
Giving receivers free releases
End containment
Hopper best LB, LB play is still, well you know
Who was supposed to cover that guy
Angles and tackling

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Emory Jones cannot anticipate the throw, he has to wait and wait and wait. Will bite you in the ass. The narrator here keeps calling Emory a RB playing QB, not the other way around.
It doesnt help that he is getting a rotation of nine receivers all of who run sloppy routes, and Shorter who is literally draped with a defender (even a LB) on every one of his slow motion routes.

I wish SOS would spend some time with Gonzalez and teach him that being a WR is more than blocking.

Each "pat" by EJ him relaxing his support hand thinking maybe I throw now (which is almost always correct) but he hesitates. Then he squeezes the ball again, for ball security in case he gets hit from behind, and usually repeats the process again.

He just isn't a natural throwing quarterback. it would help if he got conpetent quarterback coaching. Maybe we can hire that guy from Jax who taught AR and Beck. AR.looked ROUGH becore he went to that coach. Or the Juco guy that fixed Cam. Or whomever was the QB coach at Dallas that fixed Dak. Cam at UF was being earmarked for TE as was Dak at Dallas.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
EJ isn't a passer. He doesn't see targets coming open he only sees targets open. This is the key thing that made Trask very good and exactly what EJ is missing. Ive never played QB so I don't understand the process nor if this is something learned or innate but I do understand enough to see the difference. And I also think (uneducated of course) that Mullen did EJ no favors by just putting him games last season to run it.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
EJ stares down receivers. Interceptions will occur frequently as a result.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
EJ stares down receivers. Interceptions will occur frequently as a result.
Ahhh... yes....The sure sign of a true football analyst. HE IS STARING DOWN THE RECEIVERS!!!! I can see it right here! On my TV screen.

One of my favorites. #2 of the true football analyst is HE GOT BEAT BY A DEE TWO TEAM (G5 or 1AA team).

Actually EJ does not stared down his receivers most of the time, but he sort of scans the field without actually seeing. And he doesnt look away enough to move a safety or robber.

actually he seems like he's doing the right stuff, it just isn't confident and isn't doing it well. he's trying to look off the safety but isn't selling it. he seems to know where the ball should go but he hesitates and pats the ball instead. 5 interceptions to two touchdowns will do that.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Ahhh... yes....The sure sign of a true football analyst. HE IS STARING DOWN THE RECEIVERS!!!! I can see it right here! On my TV screen.

One of my favorites. #2 of the true football analyst is HE GOT BEAT BY A DEE TWO TEAM (G5 or 1AA team).

Actually EJ does not stared down his receivers most of the time, but he sort of scans the field without actually seeing. And he doesnt look away enough to move a safety or robber.

actually he seems like he's doing the right stuff, it just isn't confident and isn't doing it well. he's trying to look off the safety but isn't selling it. he seems to know where the ball should go but he hesitates and pats the ball instead. 5 interceptions to two touchdowns will do that.
Ok Obbewan

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
Jones threw a red zone interception in the second quarter, staring down the wrong receiver and throwing the ball flat when it needed to be lofted. On the next series, he didn’t realize Florida had fourth-and-goal inside the 5 and ran the wrong play (which failed), exasperating head coach Dan Mullen. That resulted in two consecutive red zone trips without points due directly to Jones’ miscues. He did bounce back to lead a 15-play, 88-yard drive that ended in a touchdown to start the third quarter, but Jones later stared down his receiver again, throwing late and short for a second interception on the next series. Jones’ final line: 17 of 27 passing for 113 yards with one touchdown, two interceptions and 74 yards rushing … as a redshirt junior … against FAU.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ok Obbewan
Saban-Yoda.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. On the next series, he didn’t realize Florida had fourth-and-goal inside the 5 and ran the wrong play (which failed).
No, he ran the play that Mullen called. Mullen SAID (live onnthe microphone) that someone (EJ I guess) failed to read something (like numbers in the box or gap pressures) which I guess was to recognize that Mullen's play call was fuchsing retarded.

Most of us could realize that Mullen's playcalling is retarded regardless.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It looked like Siamese twins trying to run up the middle.
Damn it. Im thinking of the wrong play. I meant the fuchsed up play where he kept the keeper and ran to right on 4th and goal was the "bad read" per Mullen. The play Mullen called but a "bad read". Maybe that was the other directional Florida school.

That play you mentioned, the Siamese twins fuchsing play, God only knows. That was Trailerbammer, wasnt it?

Everyone on the offense seemed to be running the inside version of our read option. I don't know what they call that play but the option man is still the DE. If the DE crashes, the QB keeps and goes to where the DE was. Not sure why he tried to pull the ball. The DE was home and not crashing. It wasnt going to work regardless because they were pinched into the gaps from the snap.

This is a staple of the Mullen offense which almost never works in the redzone but he calls it at least once every series, and often three times.

Douchebag Dan has been useless in the redzone most of his career, except when he had Tebow or Dak to just run over LBs. This is nothing new.

Last edited:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Once you get past the front four, the quality of our defense tanks the further into the defensive backfield you get.

Beyond the two wide open miscues by UT, there were several occasions with UT receivers running free that their QBs did not see only because of pressure from the down linemen.

As this dude and Gators Breakdown said, Grantham should be doing a lot better than the average to bad team he’s fielding.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Once you get past the front four, the quality of our defense tanks the further into the defensive backfield you get. .
I disagree. At the moment, our LBs are the real weakest link of this defense.

They are untalented, but seemingly completely uncoached. there's really no rhyme or reason to what they're doing, like in the secondary (where we are just lining up in stupid positions somewhat uniformly, playing soft and tentative).

It's almost like LBs are all out there freelancing completely.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
If AR is allowed enough work to be critiqued, this breakdown will be very interesting after the Kentucky game. The analyst is generous with his critique of EJ. Will he find that AR's performance is horrible, redeemed only by great talent as CDM has stated? Or will he suggest as many of us believe that CDM is simply playing the wrong QB?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Damn it. Im thinking of the wrong play. I meant the fuchsed up play where he kept the keeper and ran to right on 4th and goal was the "bad read" per Mullen. The play Mullen called but a "bad read". Maybe that was the other directional Florida school.

That play you mentioned, the Siamese twins fuchsing play, God only knows. That was Trailerbammer, wasnt it?

Everyone on the offense seemed to be running the inside version of our read option. I don't know what they call that play but the option man is still the DE. If the DE crashes, the QB keeps and goes to where the DE was. Not sure why he tried to pull the ball. The DE was home and not crashing. It wasnt going to work regardless because they were pinched into the gaps from the snap.

This is a staple of the Mullen offense which almost never works in the redzone but he calls it at least once every series, and often three times.

Douchebag Dan has been useless in the redzone most of his career, except when he had Tebow or Dak to just run over LBs. This is nothing new.
1) on the Siamese twins play, most of us thought the problem was the delay by EJ in giving the RB the ball. On the goal line those creases close fast and EJ has been known to make slow decisions.
2) so many of CDM's plays are options which depend on alignments and defensive decisions. How do you know he called the wrong play? Saying it over and over neither makes it true nor understandable.
3) CDM's failures in recruiting and staff management are not hard to see and they are seen by observers outside Chatter. By contrast, the rest of the football sees and explains why CDM calls plays brilliantly, including when in the red zone. Should we be concerned that only posters on Chatter see his failure as a play caller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator