Goldkamp: Move to 3-4 creates a tricky situation at defensive end

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can't find the tweet, but apparently Clayton tweeted he's up to 272lbs. That's great news! He could easily be 280 by the fall.

I’m not surprised. Him and Carter look like monsters. I believe those two, along with Conliffe will be okay at DE fir us.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can't find the tweet, but apparently Clayton tweeted he's up to 272lbs. That's great news! He could easily be 280 by the fall.

I think he may be a breakout player this upcoming season. He looked about as good as the DEs that started in front of him during the spring game anyway. I think he will play good once he gets on the field quite a bit.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

He's at 272 now....what if he gets to 280? Also, thanks for the long write up. Good stuff, informative....much appreciated.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

On the DL you left off Dunlap, the UNC DT transfer. Gives us another big body there (6'3 328).

Do you think K. Davis returns?

....and what happens if Clayton gets up to 280 (or bigger)?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Or maybe both Dunlap and Campbell stay there. And we just constantly rotate fresh bodies.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Polite tweeted yesterday about "4th Backer??" indicating he may be playing LB? I was hoping he'd get into the 280 range and stay at DE.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I think Polite was our best DE last year. He certainly does a better job than the 240 pounders holding the edge. According to the roster he lost weight between his freshman and sophomore year's (but I question the validity of that roster). He was listed at 271 as a freshman and 260 this past season. I prefer he puts on a little weight and stays at DE, but honestly this 3-4 is new to me so I enjoy reading your inputs.

On the other hand, who the hell knows what his tweet actually meant?

Here's the tweet:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Just saw that. Now let's see the announcement that he's going to play LB.

This kid has been a great gator from his signing day forward. Last staff never served him well and I hope the new one puts him in a spot where he can build a solid identity and get locked in on the role he will play in the pros.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sounds like he's going to possibly move...

Jefferson indicates he'll be back for senior year
Florida looks like it'll have a very key player back for his senior season.

https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/CeCe-Jefferson-indicates-hell-be-back-for-senior-year-113168280

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- It looks like Florida will have one of its key juniors that was considering a jump to the NFL back for his senior year.

Defensive end CeCe Jefferson tweeted Wednesday night that he's looking forward to his senior year.

"Senior Year about to be one to remember!" Jefferson wrote. "Road to Atlanta! Go Gators!"

Jefferson has been an integral part of the Florida defense for the past few years, and he's a perfect candidate to play a versatile role as an edge-rusher with the move to a 3-4 scheme under new coordinator Todd Grantham.

The move to that scheme may well have been pivotal in Jefferson's decision to return, as it'll allow him to show off his ability to play his more likely position in the NFL: an outside linebacker edge rusher type in a 3-4 scheme.

In his junior season at Florida, Jefferson racked up a team-high 13.5 tackles for a loss and 4.5 sacks. He also finished fourth on the team with 47 tackles, while also adding six quarterback hurries and a pass breakup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.