Golf ball rollback

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The new rule as I read it is as follows:

"A report by Golf Digest indicated that manufacturers would change the swing speed of testing from 120 to 125 mph, with the ball calibrated to travel the same distance of 317 yards. "

This means that for pros distance will be reduced maybe close to 5 percent.

Doesn't this present a huge opportunity for ball manufactures? Can they find a way to adhere to the rule above., but build a ball so that at slower swing speeds this upper limit doesn't make much difference. R&D for the Royal and Ancient.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014

"A report by Golf Digest indicated that manufacturers would change the swing speed of testing from 120 to 125 mph, with the ball calibrated to travel the same distance of 317 yards. "

Doesn't this present a huge opportunity for ball manufactures? Can they find a way to adhere to the rule above., but build a ball so that at slower swing speeds this upper limit doesn't make much difference. R&D for the Royal and Ancient.
Club/bat speed has a direct correlation to distance a ball will travel. I can't see how they accomplish what you're proposing.
It will be interesting to see how many balls, for instance the long and soft noodle I use will be affected. It will seem unfair if a duffer like me has to hit a 5 iron vs 6 iron into a green just because the pros hit it 400 yards off the tee.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Club/bat speed has a direct correlation to distance a ball will travel. I can't see how they accomplish what you're proposing.
It will be interesting to see how many balls, for instance the long and soft noodle I use will be affected. It will seem unfair if a duffer like me has to hit a 5 iron vs 6 iron into a green just because the pros hit it 400 yards off the tee.
The compression rate of a ball and mass will make a difference in distance traveled. The balls at Top Golf are limited flight balls.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I don't have any issues with these changes. I play in Colorado where we get a bit more travel anyway and it is getting to the point with the huge club heads, staff technology improvements and ball distance, a lot of the really nice mountain courses are turning into 3 wood and 9 iron/PW courses. I am not a great golfer, but I do like to use more of the clubs in my bag than those few when I am hitting them well.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

Dude, you are my friend but got to ask. Who gives a fxxk about golf balls?

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Five percent isn't a lot for 170 yard 5 iron. But as far as what I'm proposing, compression and recoil are components of distance. If somebody figures out how to make more favorable for slower clubhead speeds (make the ball speed nonlinear relative to clubhead speed) and still stay within the new rules, they are going to market the hell out of it and make money.

I don't know how you do it. If I did I'd be starting a company right now. But I'll bet somebody is already working on it. Will they succeed? I don't know. One of my mega mistakes in life was when I played persimmons and old fashioned irons. Like probably a hundred thousand other golfers I knew how to make clubs better. I didn't do anything with the idea because I didn't think golf nuts cared. Good Lord I was wrong.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
By the time the change rolls around I will be able to move up and play the 5900-6200 yardages.

I do believe the pros will still add length regardless.

Its all a waste of time and energy.

Yawn.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
The compression rate of a ball and mass will make a difference in distance traveled. The balls at Top Golf are limited flight balls.
I understand. My response was to @gator1and his wondering if these changes could be taken advantage of by players with slower swing speeds, with balls that still fall within the new rules.
I don't see how when so much technology has showed club/bat speed are so important. An example are baseball bats of -11 of wt. vs lenth were common until they changed the rules to -3 in an effort to slow down bat speed, and speed that the ball leaves the bat. I probably still did a bad job of explaining myself.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I'd think the ball manufacturer's will develop a specific line of balls that qualify for PGA/R&A events and leave the rest of their line alone for the average golfer. Unless someone is playing in a tournament that requires adherence to those rules people will continue to play their favorite ball. Much like people used to play the small diameter Slazenger for years after sizes were standardized.

Thinking more broadly, this is a symptom of a larger issue. Equipment technology (club heads, shafts & balls) has advanced to the point where today's players are rendering the majority of courses defenseless and not playing the way they were originally designed when distances were greatly reduced from today's levels. Jack Nicklaus broached this topic during an interview during this past Master's tournament when he was asked about the ever-increasing travel of the ball. He said courses are rapidly reaching their limits to compensate, many already having reached their limit, and don't have any more land to lengthen holes. When they were originally designed and built they matched the technology of that time and things like bunkers, water hazards, tree clusters, etc... were part of the course defense. Now they are ineffective in large part because the technology passed them by. He said this was the most pressing issues facing the game worldwide. Reigning back technology was considered one of the most viable methods of controlling this.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Courses can also end the fairway by not closely mowing the grass all the way from tee to green. Or at least make it neck down so the farther you hit the ball the tighter the fairway gets.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Courses can also end the fairway by not closely mowing the grass all the way from tee to green. Or at least make it neck down so the farther you hit the ball the tighter the fairway gets.
Yes, that would be one of the more cost-effective ways to compensate for the "less financially advantaged" courses. Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than relocating a green.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'd think the ball manufacturer's will develop a specific line of balls that qualify for PGA/R&A events and leave the rest of their line alone for the average golfer. Unless someone is playing in a tournament that requires adherence to those rules people will continue to play their favorite ball. Much like people used to play the small diameter Slazenger for years after sizes were standardized.

Thinking more broadly, this is a symptom of a larger issue. Equipment technology (club heads, shafts & balls) has advanced to the point where today's players are rendering the majority of courses defenseless and not playing the way they were originally designed when distances were greatly reduced from today's levels. Jack Nicklaus broached this topic during an interview during this past Master's tournament when he was asked about the ever-increasing travel of the ball. He said courses are rapidly reaching their limits to compensate, many already having reached their limit, and don't have any more land to lengthen holes. When they were originally designed and built they matched the technology of that time and things like bunkers, water hazards, tree clusters, etc... were part of the course defense. Now they are ineffective in large part because the technology passed them by. He said this was the most pressing issues facing the game worldwide. Reigning back technology was considered one of the most viable methods of controlling this.

You come at this like a really good amateur. You know the game isn't all about distance. I'm coming at it more like a mad scientist. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there are a bunch of guys who aren't very good but take pride in how far they hit it. If they can say new ball be damned I'm still really long (no double entendre intended), then somebody will market that ball and make money,. "Titleist XXXXX Pro Rocket V3".

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Just once I’d like to see pros play with sets of clubs and golf balls with same specs as the Ben Hogan era of golf.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Sure, just put a speed govenor on it. :lol:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sure, just put a speed govenor on it. :lol:
Believe it or not, simply futzing with the dimple design and pattern is kind of like that!

Anyone familiar with the ball design for courses on Cayman and a few other locations with restricted space?

1702051727684.jpeg

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Believe it or not, simply futzing with the dimple design and pattern is kind of like that!
I know. Remember, I R an Enganeur.

There's a way to optimize things like @gator1946 said.

Seems like the best way to handle things (within existing course footprint) would be to make the greens and short game more impossible?

Someone already mentioned pinching the fairway too.

I quit golf 25 years ago. Threw away my clubs. I haven't swung a new club since then. My "woods" looked like putter faces compared to the massive heads on the new drivers.

Am I old enough and wise enough to start playing again with the new equipment?

no yes GIF by The Blacklist

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.