Gonzalez and Hevesy meet w/ the media...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida assistants John Hevesy, Billy Gonzales explain long-standing connection with Dan Mullen

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-and-long-standing-connection-with-dan-mullen

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida assistant coach Billy Gonzales said his young daughter had the perfect response when she found out the family was moving back to Gainesville, where she had been born during Gonzales’ last stint with the Gators.

“When we found out we were coming back, she came running down — she’s 12 right now — she came down the steps running down and said, ‘Dad, I’m going home, I’m going home!’ ” Gonzales shared while mimicking his daughter’s Gator Chomping reaction. “And I started laughing, I’m like, ‘You don’t even remember any of it.’ But we’re excited.”

It didn’t take long for Gonzales and fellow assistant John Hevesy to “find out” they would be following Dan Mullen on yet another coaching move.

Gonzales, the Gators’ new wide receivers coach, and Hevesy, the offensive line coach, have been Mullen’s co-offensive coordinators the last four seasons, but the three have mostly been together since joining Urban Meyer’s staff at Bowling Green in 2001.

Hevesy has been with Mullen ever since as both followed Meyer to Utah (2003-04) and Florida (2005-08). Hevesy then headed to Mississippi State when Mullen got the head-coaching job there in 2009. Gonzales also was at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida. He stayed with the Gators for the 2009 season, followed by stints at LSU and Illinois before rejoining Mullen in 2013 at Mississippi State.

They had stayed in touch during those years apart, and when Mullen had an opening and made the call to see if Gonzales wanted to rejoin him, the answer was yes.

Just as when Mullen took the job at Florida back in late November, the answer was a quick yes. It wasn’t but two days later that Gonzales and Hevesy were announced as his first staff hires.

“As soon as he called us and said, ‘Get ready to rock and roll,’ without any hesitation it was, ‘Let’s get ready to go,’ ” Gonzales said. “This is a job where, I’ll be honest with you, some people probably say normally when you move somewhere [you have to] ask your wife and your family, and this was one of these deals, it was, ‘Let’s go.’ “

It’s unique in college football for a set of coaches to develop that kind of familiarity over such a long period of time together. It’s a transient career field by nature, most coaches looking for the next step up the ladder, the next promotion, the next pay raise.

Their relationship, meanwhile, evolved organically. All three got their big break together under Meyer, and as Mullen successfully rose up the ranks he’s been able to keep his loyal top lieutenants with him.

As Hevesy recalls, he first crossed paths with Mullen in 1996 when he was an assistant coach at Brown and Mullen was an assistant at fellow Ivy League school Columbia.

Hevesy became a graduate assistant at Syracuse in 1997, while Mullen followed him in the same role in 1998 after Hevesy had returned to Brown.

“So we started actually talking, talking on the phone just because he came in there, ‘Hey, here’s what the transition was going on.’ That was a big thing,” Hevesy said.

Mullen later would work as a GA at Notre Dame in 1999 and 2000, when Meyer was the wide receivers coach.

When Meyer got the top job at Bowling Green in 2001, he brought Mullen with him. Hevesy, who had worked a couple camps at Notre Dame and gotten to know Meyer that way, joined them at Bowling Green as well, along with Gonzales, who had been an assistant coach at Kent State for seven seasons.

With Mullen coaching the quarterbacks, Gonzales the wide receivers, and Hevesy the tackles and tight ends, the three formed a bond that continues today.

“When you start cutting your teeth and as a grunt kind of coming up the system together, you have a lot of time between myself, him and John,” Gonzales said. “With the exception of four years of me being away, we’ve been together for 18 years. And just having an understanding of what he wants done, how he wants it done, you’ve been in those battles, you’ve been in the fire with somebody for that many years, I think you’re on the same page. You guys start thinking alike, you start understanding what’s expected, and I think it’s a little easier, you know, obviously, to communicate when it comes down to situations when you’re in a tough moment.”

Said Hevesy: “Really, it’s a brotherly love. There’s times we’re going to fight like brothers. There’s times when we all agree. There’s times we can look at each other and I think you look at the offensive room right now, we start looking at each other like, ‘Yeah, we’re good to do this.’ And there’s two or three other guys in the room going, ‘What are they talking about? Because they didn’t say anything and they’re [going] let’s put this in, let’s do this, we did this back here.’ So for the three of us, it’s great because we know kind of what we’re thinking and what we’ve done over all the years. …

“I was the only one married in 2001. Billy got married, Danny got married, so all our kids were all born together, so it’s three families that are, we’re like brothers.”

Gonzales seconded Hevesy’s sentiments, saying the term “family” often gets thrown around loosely among coaches, in recruiting, etc., but he feels it’s a very real dynamic that’s developed over his time with Mullen and Hevesy.

And when the call came to return to Gainesville, both used the same term — “no-brainer.”

Meanwhile, in addition to familiarity and shared experience, there’s another common thread that binds the three — confidence and sky-high expectations.

Hevesy and Gonzales were meeting with the local media Thursday for the first time since their hiring, and it’s no coincidence they sounded a lot like their boss.

Hevesy talked about wanting his guys to compete in everything they do, from the classroom to the weight room to the practice field. It was a page straight out of Mullen’s talking-points playbook.

And Gonzales set the bar high for his position group when he said, “I’m as hungry as anybody to have a 1,000-yard receiver here again.” That hasn’t happened at Florida since 2002, for what it’s worth.

That bullish confidence matches the tone Mullen has set from the day he arrived, stating that he has immediately high expectations for 2018 and has reiterated multiple times how he expects Florida to compete for national championships.

After all, the last time those three were here in Gainesville together, that’s what they did, contributing on Meyer’s staff to the Gators’ 2006 and 2008 national titles.

“We left on a really high note and we’re going to continue to bring it back here on a high note,” Hevesy said. “… You can’t ask for anything better because we all know what the ultimate goal is. We have the same goals, the same ambitions in terms of what we’re trying to do with the program. And we’ve done it, whether it was at Bowling Green, Utah, here before, at Mississippi State or now back here again. It’s ‘Here’s what we’ve got to do.’ “

Said Gonzales: “Now it’s just time to go execute, and … the ultimate goal here is to win championships — not just SEC championships but national championships.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
More from the interviews:

Florida OL coach John Hevesy expects injured LG Brett Heggie back for fall camp

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...sy-expects-lg-brett-heggie-back-for-fall-camp

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — When Florida left guard Brett Heggie went down with a season-ending knee injury late last fall, there was no official diagnosis relayed by the coaching staff nor any estimated timetable for recovery given.

New Gators offensive line coach John Hevesy offered some encouragement Thursday, though, when asked about Heggie.

“As far as I know, he should be back for [fall] camp,” Hevesy said. “Now spring, he’s walking around, he’s doing some things, jogging around a little bit right now. So for me, it’s just going to be everyday talking to [the trainer], ‘What can he do every day to get himself ready?'”

Heggie debuted as a redshirt freshman last season, playing in eight games and starting seven before going down with the knee injury at Missouri on Nov. 4.

Heggie had an encouraging first season, which included garnering SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week honors after Florida’s win over Vanderbilt on Sept. 30. If he’s not ready for the start of the season, it could shake things up on the line. Left tackle Martez Ivey moved inside and started the last two games at guard last fall and could potentially do the same in 2018 if Heggie needs more time.

But Hevesy’s response Thursday offered optimism.

“I think obviously the mental aspect of it, he has to be in the meeting rooms now and then [attentive during] spring practice,” Hevesy said. “Like I’ll tell him, he’ll do his rehabs and stuff during practice, but anytime mentally we’re learning something, whether it’s a team period, side drill, stay right behind me. That’s just because obviously you played, but he’s got to learn the system and stand behind me at practice. He’s going to get coached standing behind me as I coach the other ones, but to me, just put as much as I can into him as fast as I can.

“Because I think he has the ability and he has the work ethic. Watching him just do his rehab, he has all those things. Now it’s a matter of just making sure he’s learns it and he’s doing everything properly.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ivey could play G or T:

Florida OL coach John Hevesy: Martez Ivey made right decision to return for senior season

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...rtez-ivey-right-decision-return-senior-season

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — New Florida offensive line coach John Hevesy comes across as a very straightforward, matter-of-fact guy.

As he shared, when he picked up the recruitment of Gators 4-star offensive line commit Richard Gouraige, Hevesy asked the prospect what he knew about him and then encouraged him to ask him any questions he felt he needed to ask.

Meanwhile, when it came to talking with incumbent left tackle Martez Ivey about his decision to return for his senior season or declare for the NFL draft, he laid it out plainly for Ivey as well.

“I talked to him a bunch. I talked to him about four or five times about the whole thing. Not knowing much — I mean, I recruited Martez four years ago — but I sat and watched all of his film, watched every game he played in this past year and then I sat and talked to NFL guys. [Then I told him], ‘Here is what it is, straight line, here’s what my thoughts are just from doing this long enough and what people say and what people do.’ I said, ‘That’s all I can go off of. Ultimately, you’ve got to listen to the right people,’ ” Hevesy recalled Thursday.

Ultimately, Ivey made the decision to return to the Gators even though that meant learning a new offense and playing for a third different line coach in the span of three years.

Ivey’s decision was, of course, a major boost for Florida, as it now returns a three-year starter and anchor on an offensive line that will once again hope for a breakout in 2018.

Ivey, who played primarily left guard his first two seasons before moving to tackle last fall, has made 31 starts over three seasons. He was a two-time SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week in 2016 and earned second-team All-SEC honors each of the last two seasons.

Listed at 6-foot-5, 315 pounds, Ivey faced the same decision his former linemate David Sharpe did after his junior season, when he ultimately opted to enter the draft. So it was far from a sure thing that Ivey would be back with the Gators in 2018, especially having to make that decision in the midst of a coaching transition.

“He talked to coach [Dan] Mullen, he talked to me. Whoever he talked to outside of that, the decision’s got to be made by you,” Hevesy said. “It’s no different when it comes down to recruiting for kids. Make sure you’re talking to the right people, the right information is being given to you. Not from someone that thinks they know, your elementary football coach who has two uncles past that played in the NFL 35 years ago [saying] ‘Here’s what you should do.’

“The agenda’s about your success to go now compared to go a year from now. Not the instant, ‘I’m going to get money,’ because if it’s not there immediately you made the wrong decision. So to me, just give him all the plusses and minuses for him to leave. And I think he made the right decision. I think for him it’s a year to build his body up. He’s been plagued with injuries in his career here. He’s missed a lot of offseason training, the winters and the summers because of those injuries. To me, he needs to embed himself in that and the training room and the weight room for a year to get himself healthy to when he gets an opportunity to go, he makes the best of it.”

Now that he’s answered the question about his immediate future, another remains about where Ivey will line up for Florida in 2018.

After starting left guard Brett Heggie went down with a season-ending knee injury late in the season at Missouri, Ivey eventually moved inside to that guard spot for the final two games.

Heggie is expected to miss the spring, but Hevesy said he anticipates he’ll be ready for fall camp. If he’s not able to handle a full workload at the start of the season, the Gators will have to determine where Ivey is most valuable to them.

“The one thing watching him, he can play both,” Hevesy said. “The biggest thing to me right now when you ask depth chart and position wise, I’ve told them all to just go compete. All I can really see now is competitive level. How do they compete, and that’s in the offseason training [we’re] going to find out their competitive level, their competitive nature, their athletic ability. That’s the first thing I’m looking for now.”

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is good stuff. Thanks for posting it all.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Considering the alter universe football hell of inconsistency we've been through, I mean sometimes looking like we never practiced! I'm liking the fact the leadership trifecta has been together for quite awhile and have actually lived some prime time moments, assistant level or not. The piece for our soul is can Dan & Co. with more star available talent make their brand of teaching explode into being relevant in the East again. I'll dream it can happen within the standard 3 year leash, ahem plan. It's all about the show and some glory. Go Gators!

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I think it's funny that Gonzales was talking about getting a WR over 1,000yds in a season. Gators haven't had one since Jacobs in 2002. If Mullen is successful enough to be here for the next 10 years, we won't have a WR go over 1,000yards for 25 years at that point. Because there's no way we have a WR go over 1,000yds in this offense. There's too many guys to get the ball to between the WRs, RBs and running QB.

veroG8tr

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2014
I get all the “brotherly love” and closeness, but this is also the problem when complacency sets in and the HC waits way too long to make a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.