Good Read About Our Stale Offense

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The McElwain hire has been a complete failure. No different than the last dud.
The similarities are striking. All the signs were there after game 6 last year and his unwillingness to even TRY something, hell anything, different to kickstart a sputtering offense last year told me what I didn't want to know. But like many others I thought more time would help him correct shortcomings that he inherited from the previous goon.......Instead he's still done next to nothing with the offense AND has now almost depleted the only resource that he inherited from the previous staff.....defense. We're wasting precious time with this guy because he doesn't even have a clue where to begin, recruiting, his game management is questionable at best, and player development is minimal to non existent....He leaves play calling to a guy who's playbook would fit on a 3x5 index card and watches as a do nothing DC squanders the last of our NFL caliber talent....we will be a laughing stock within a years time if this keeps up.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mac has got to fix this and fix it soon. Ditch the offense if is doesn't fit the skill set of what you've got. Del Rio and this OL needed or needs a FB, period. Even Meyer had to figure that out in 2006. Figure out who is going to play. But if you're keeping the shirt on Franks, figure out what AA and Trask need from a skill set. You can keep portions of your shotgun spread offense. BUT IF YOU HAVE NO THREAT OF A RUNNING QB, the deception is gone. No matter who it is you know the following:

The OL is getting better but it needs all the help it can get.
A RB would love to have an extra blocker.
Hard to block 6 with 5.
The QB does need a bit more time to get the ball to AC, TC, etc.

Like I said, a lot of this would be helped with a FB. You can still run a wide variety of your offense installed. We're at a point that it's time to just play basic football. We are way beyond the juncture that something has got to be done to help the players you have now. So Mac get it done!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
8?

Go back to the last half of last season and it's more like 14.
I think we all know why the first half of last year didn't look as bad as anything since then, WG.......I've also noticed that the playbook has shrunk since the first half of last season....I wonder if that's just a coincidence?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I think we all know why the first half of last year didn't look as bad as anything since then, WG.......I've also noticed that the playbook has shrunk since the first half of last season....I wonder if that's just a coincidence?
But I thought Mac was the QB whisperer? He's an offensive guru that can win with his dog Claribell at QB .

In actuality Mac clearly can't win unless Tom Brady is his QB.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In a nut shell, what do we do on offense?? NOTHING. No adjustments, no gameplan, nothing creative, NO NOTHING. So we WILL NOT win another game the rest of the year cause our D is too injured and our coaching staff DOES NOT want to do anything with the offense.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The playbook was a about as diverse until the LDR injury. The problem is that we still don't have the offensive line to play the whole play book. Our offensive line at the end of last season, could do about 10% of the play book due to injuries. And our offensive line is leaps and bounds ahead of last year at this point, it's still a below average SEC offensive line. It gets eaten up by any average SEC defensive line. Losing our center early against Arkansas didn't help at all, the one consistent influence was removed. It was hard to watch after that.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Again, having Grier here probably would be better than anything we currently have. However, you can count some/most of those games Grier played as dud offensive performances. Grier's last game, Missouri, we scored 14 offensive points and got shutout in the 2nd half. It was a disaster and we won only because of our defense...and Missouri was bad last year. Every time I read "we looked good w/ Grier" I cringe. It's not true. We looked - a little - better w/ him...but it was still ugly. Fred Taylor Jr. averaged about 3.1 ypc vs. the SEC last year and Grier was average, at best, vs SEC teams. Ole Miss is the last "ranked team" we've beaten. Look at them. They are the bottom feeder of the West. A good win at the time, which may or may not have been so impressive in hindsight. Sure, losing Grier hurt the future development of this team....but he was mediocre, at best, when he was still here.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The similarities are striking. All the signs were there after game 6 last year and his unwillingness to even TRY something, hell anything, different to kickstart a sputtering offense last year told me what I didn't want to know. But like many others I thought more time would help him correct shortcomings that he inherited from the previous goon.......Instead he's still done next to nothing with the offense AND has now almost depleted the only resource that he inherited from the previous staff.....defense. We're wasting precious time with this guy because he doesn't even have a clue where to begin, recruiting, his game management is questionable at best, and player development is minimal to non existent....He leaves play calling to a guy who's playbook would fit on a 3x5 index card and watches as a do nothing DC squanders the last of our NFL caliber talent....we will be a laughing stock within a years time if this keeps up.

This was brought up time and time again. Mac had a month(before the bowl game) to get Treon some new plays and all we heard was nothing could help him. We heard Mac wasn't going to change the offense for anyone. All the excuses. Well, here we are and the same garbage.

Uhhhh...maybe it's Mac.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Mac has got to fix this and fix it soon. Ditch the offense if is doesn't fit the skill set of what you've got. Del Rio and this OL needed or needs a FB, period. Even Meyer had to figure that out in 2006. Figure out who is going to play. But if you're keeping the shirt on Franks, figure out what AA and Trask need from a skill set. You can keep portions of your shotgun spread offense. BUT IF YOU HAVE NO THREAT OF A RUNNING QB, the deception is gone. No matter who it is you know the following:

The OL is getting better but it needs all the help it can get.
A RB would love to have an extra blocker.
Hard to block 6 with 5.
The QB does need a bit more time to get the ball to AC, TC, etc.

Like I said, a lot of this would be helped with a FB. You can still run a wide variety of your offense installed. We're at a point that it's time to just play basic football. We are way beyond the juncture that something has got to be done to help the players you have now. So Mac get it done!
for a guy that loves to run the ball so much especially right up the middle like we do quite often, and he always talks about getting the run game going first to set up everything else you would think he would utilize a power fullback to be a lead blocker. Imo that would help tremendously

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator