Great Article on Signs of Progress for Mullen's Culture Change

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I really enjoyed this article and agree that the signs of Mullen's impact on the team are starting to show forth on the field. Henderson's extreme hustle on the sure UT touchdown play that wasn't was an especially encouraging example that the team is starting to understand the concept of relentless effort. So was the Swain touchdown relative to both Swain and Franks.

On a similar note, as painful as the offense can still be at times, I also find Franks' willingness to be boring and ineffective instead of forcing things he doesn't know will be successful to also be encouraging. It really appears to me that he's at least learned to tuck the ball and run or throw it away when he doesn't see something even when the reason for that is because he is too slow in his reads. If Mullen has been able to teach him to not turn a missed opportunity into a huge mistake, then he has already developed him vastly farther than I would have expected by this point! That also implies there is cause for much more hope for the future with Franks and other future QBs as well because it means Mullen really does have some QB whisperer skills!

In one play, Florida shows signs of Mullen culture change in win over Tennessee

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Mullen gives us hope. When we watch games we see a team that is prepared. Things don't always go according to plan, but like you said about Franks, you don't see these guys compounding mistakes by making game killing mistakes on top of those. I no longer want to gouge my eyes out while watching them play.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Henderson's effort on the "sure touchdown" is what relentless effort is all about. Never give in; never give up; always take it to your opponent. You won't always win but you will always be respected. Go Gators.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
giphy.gif

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen dancing shows he is loose on the sideline and in tune with the team. He is not afraid to have some fun and be seen doing it. Haven't seen that in a LONG time on the UF sideline. Go Gators!!

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Mullen dancing shows he is loose on the sideline and in tune with the team. He is not afraid to have some fun and be seen doing it. Haven't seen that in a LONG time on the UF sideline. Go Gators!!

Well to be fair, they told Mullen he wasn't in charge of selling popcorn when they hired him. That alone should make him happy..

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Relentless Effort Personified...
yes, but my favorite play of the game was the first touchdown after halftime. Watch the blocking on that play. watch Jordan make that quick pull. watch Juwan Taylor do the combo block on The Tackle then climb to the linebacker. that is the way it's supposed to look.

THAT is what we hope these guys can do in the future all the time consistently. sometimes the defense is going to beat you but that is what it should look like most of the time.

we're not always going to get big plays, but we should be able to get plays like that often. Those safeties are going to get tired of tackling Scarlett eventually and some will pop.

If we change our running average from 3-4 yards on first or second down to 7ish the whole complexion of the offense changes.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
yes, but my favorite play of the game was the first touchdown after halftime. Watch the blocking on that play. watch Jordan make that quick pull. watch Juwan Taylor do the combo block on The Tackle then climb to the linebacker. that is the way it's supposed to look.

THAT is what we hope these guys can do in the future all the time consistently. sometimes the defense is going to beat you but that is what it should look like most of the time.

we're not always going to get big plays, but we should be able to get place like that often. Those safeties are going to get tired of tackling Scarlett.

if we change our running average from 3-4 yards on first or second down to 7ish the whole complexion of the offense changes.
Is this the one you're talking about LGBTQ Donkey?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is this the one you're talking about LGBTQ Donkey?

YES! I swear I've been watching the OL some this year and it seems like it is hard to find a play when everyone did their job. They did it there and some of that isn't easy. Even if the safeties hadn't quit an hour earlier, the play goes for a nice gain regardless.

That looks like an old school power to me but who knows. These playbooks today are complicateder. I think a play like that, despite the pulling guard having to find the LB or DE, is easier on our guys than trying to run ozzies or izzies.

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Frank's may go to **** the rest of the year but what Mullen has done with him so far this year is damn near amazing. If he keeps progressing at this rate he may actually turn into a really good quarterback for us. I'm almost optimistic.

leogator

May 5, 2018
YES! I swear I've been watching the OL some this year and it seems like it is hard to find a play when everyone did their job. They did it there and some of that isn't easy. Even if the safeties hadn't quit an hour earlier, the play goes for a nice gain regardless.

That looks like an old school power to me but who knows. These playbooks today are complicateder. I think a play like that, despite the pulling guard having to find the LB or DE, is easier on our guys than trying to run ozzies or izzies.
Actually the Pierce TD is even better example of the OL doing better. Jordan was the pulling guard again. I don't have a clip for that but for me it points out that the much maligned OL is learning how to block.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually the Pierce TD is even better example of the OL doing better. Jordan was the pulling guard again. I don't have a clip for that but for me it points out that the much aligned OL is learning how to block.
Maybe, but that was late in the game.

Teams come out of halftime fired up and hoping to change momentum. that was a dagger to the heart.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
And in case anyone needs a reminder, UCLA is 0-3 with Chip Kelly and Nebraska is 0-3 with Scott Frost. Neither team has shown much to brag about. So yeah, give Dan the Man some time. He is trying to dig us out of a really deep hole created by the two blockheads who preceded him. Support Coach Dan. He IS our coach and that is not going to change anytime soon, so get on the wagon! Support the team. Let's do this, Gators!

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Mullen gives us hope. When we watch games we see a team that is prepared. Things don't always go according to plan, but like you said about Franks, you don't see these guys compounding mistakes by making game killing mistakes on top of those. I no longer want to gouge my eyes out while watching them play.

Amen brother!! :highfive:

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
And in case anyone needs a reminder, UCLA is 0-3 with Chip Kelly and Nebraska is 0-3 with Scott Frost. Neither team has shown much to brag about. So yeah, give Dan the Man some time. He is trying to dig us out of a really deep hole created by the two blockheads who preceded him. Support Coach Dan. He IS our coach and that is not going to change anytime soon, so get on the wagon! Support the team. Let's do this, Gators!

Amen to that too! The only real knock on him so far involves recruiting and, quite frankly, I find most of the arguments against him on that topic to be skewed based on the implication that recruiting in MSU is the same as at UF. If anything, I find the recent trend of high rated recruits showing serious interest in UF to be a very encouraging sign given how much Mullen's shown he can get out of 3 stars at MSU. Imagine what he can do with all the 4-5 stars who are now really starting to take UF seriously again!

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If you read the article you saw this picture at the top of the webpage:
upload_2018-9-24_20-12-7.jpeg

Can anyone tell me what that is behind the left shoulder of the grey haired man on the 2nd row? Just curious

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016

we're not always going to get big plays, but we should be able to get plays like that often. Those safeties are going to get tired of tackling Scarlett eventually and some will pop.

If we change our running average from 3-4 yards on first or second down to 7ish the whole complexion of the offense changes.
Donkey Is that a smirk or a smile you now are sporting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.