Greatest Spurrier Quotes

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks. After yesterday's crushing news, I needed that.

10. "When asked about Tennessee’s failure to make the Sugar Bowl while he was at Florida: “You can’t spell Citrus without U-T.”

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Gosh I'm getting old. I remember driving all night to Jackson, MS to see him play as a sophomore. I always liked his quote: "Tennessee is the champion of Knox county", after being beaten by Memphis State.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
One of my favorites was one of his more recent snipes about them "still doing cartwheels in Knoxville over going 7-6 and winning a bowl game", or something to that effect.

Could always count on him for the best offseason zingers.

Hopefully, he'll accept some cushy job on the SEC Network as an analyst or something along those lines during his retirement.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for sharing that.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
spurrier.jpg

"Welp, I quit. Deal with it!" --Steve Spurrier

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just freaking love Spurrier. Politically incorrect and irreverent, and always ready with the needle. So much fun.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We're gonna pitch it around a little bit.

No one's ever put 50 on Georgia in Athens? Ok lets score another one.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Love his energy and determination.

Is one of the best.

Thanx for all the memories Coach.

IGTBAFG

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not one of his quips, but something he said that meant so much to me.

January 11th 1997, a few short days after we won our first National Championship. They were holding a celebration in the Swamp. It was packed.

Spurrier took the stage.

He always hated it when fans would do the "we're number one!" thing because pretty much none of them were number one. It was something everybody did all the time when a TV camera was on them and Spurrier didn't like it.

He was competitive af. Championships were EARNED, chanting "we're number one" when you weren't just wasn't kosher in his book. Some 4-2 team might pull an upset on a Thursday night and their fans would be holding up their finger claiming they were number one...nonsense as far as Spurrier was concerned.

But we WERE, finally, number 1. It was time.

Spurrier's Dad was a preacher. You could almost hear his Dad's influence as Spurrier addressed the silent crowd.

He held up his finger, indicating number one, then raised it up, pointing to heaven, and had us all chant "We're Number One" loud enough so all the Gators in heaven who didn't live to see the day could hear us. It got real dusty in that stadium, or somebody musta been chopping onions or something, but we all pointed to heaven, and we all chanted, and there weren't many dry eyes in the house.

Alex.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That was a special day Alex.

I have told this SOS quote/story a bunch of times. I don't remember the team or coach I just remember Spurrier throwing deep with two minutes left and running up the score. When asked why his response was something to the effect of well, he remembered back as a Buc that this coach ran the score up on Spurrier's Bucs in 76-77. He hadn't forgotten and that's why he ran the score up.

I think another funny story was about the coach that had the summer clinic on how to stop Spurrier's offense. He ended up score 50+ on the guy and he told reporters after that maybe he should go to his own clinic or something hilarious.

I'm sure I'm a little off on both stories but I;m typing fast in between meetings. If someone has greater details on either story please share.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've never heard the auburn coloring book dig. I like that one.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I will just leave this right here! Thank you SOS for everything you did for Gator Nation!!!!

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We went up to Knoxville in 1996. Huge game. Big revenge game. We raced out to a 35-0 lead and coasted the rest of the way.

After the game, Spurrier said "They said it was going to be loud up there...I have to admit, it was...for pre-game warm-ups".

Alex.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Alabama

On recruiting: "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama ... Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours."

:lol2:

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
t-gator;n296868 said:
I've never heard the auburn coloring book dig. I like that one.

That one was my favorite

7. On a fire at the Auburn library that destroyed 20 books: “The real tragedy was that 15 hadn’t been colored yet.”

I actually remember watching that game. I think it was Auburn LSU and you could see the library in flames while the game was going on.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another comment I always loved was immediately after the Gator Bowl game in 1992. Steve was told by the reporter that the other coaching staff was angry about him throwing the ball deep late in the game.
Without hesitation he said "Yeah, well they were blitzing my quarterback."
Not a big slam or anything just an example of straight talk that he was famous for.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
L-boy;n297189 said:
That one was my favorite

I actually remember watching that game. I think it was Auburn LSU and you could see the library in flames while the game was going on.

I too remember-I think! I do remember seeing it on TV, it was a camera shot overlooking the outside of their stadium, there was smoke, but the game went on uninterrupted.

My only difference was that I thought We were playing AU...maybe not, so long ago. What I thought at the time was damn thats some cold **** there. I mean, out of nowhere, haymaker from the sky!

Oh, I laughed, but man that is just wrong, lol

There has to be a book of SOS quotes out there. He has enough to fill one up, and it would write itself.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Gatorious;n297789 said:
I too remember-I think! I do remember seeing it on TV, it was a camera shot overlooking the outside of their stadium, there was smoke, but the game went on uninterrupted.

My only difference was that I thought We were playing AU...maybe not, so long ago. What I thought at the time was damn thats some cold **** there. I mean, out of nowhere, haymaker from the sky!

Oh, I laughed, but man that is just wrong, lol

There has to be a book of SOS quotes out there. He has enough to fill one up, and it would write itself.

It was Auburn LSU 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SsdtPCgCYk

The addition of Godzilla was a nice touch. :lol:

[video=youtube;2SsdtPCgCYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SsdtPCgCYk[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.