G'ville - Late 70's

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We didn't have much in the way of entertainment back then. We got one local channel and one PBS channel on the rabbit ears. There were times we watched The Jim Baker show because there was nothing else to watch.
But on Sunday Nights was a radio call in show. I don't think it was locally produced. Seems they mostly played oldies. Two songs that I remember that they always played were "Counting Flowers on the Wall" and "Little Nash Rambler".
Anybody know the show I'm talking about?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
We didn't have much in the way of entertainment back then. We got one local channel and one PBS channel on the rabbit ears. There were times we watched The Jim Baker show because there was nothing else to watch.
But on Sunday Nights was a radio call in show. I don't think it was locally produced. Seems they mostly played oldies. Two songs that I remember that they always played were "Counting Flowers on the Wall" and "Little Nash Rambler".

There was a national call in show (Country music based) that came on Saturday nights in Tallahassee, but this was more towards the mid-80s.
Could be the same show though.

Google Mike Harvey and Bob Kingsley - those two have had syndicated shows for a LONG time.
Bob was the guy I tried to emulate when I did on-air work.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't think it was Country Music based though. It just happens those are the two songs that stand out in my mind.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'd remember if it was Wolfman or any "on-air personality". I don' think the DJ did anything that made himself stand out.

"Mack the Knife" was another staple.

So maybe he focused on novelty songs?

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Was UF radio around then? There wasn’t much a choice of radio stations either.

I remember the show, definitely oldies not country, but damn that was a lot of lost brain cells ago.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

I remember the show, definitely oldies not country, but damn that was a lot of lost brain cells ago.
Must have been the only station we could get. I think the schtick was that he would play songs that never got played anymore.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

yeah... when I got to UF in the summer of '82, there was WGGG, WRUF, Kiss 105 (I think) and a country station.
I think I even listened to FM99 Country out of Jax as well.
not a lot to choose from at that time

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Amos and Andy?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Just one guy that I remember. He might not have even been national. I only remember one R&R station (105?) but late on Sunday nights it ran this show. Or it was an AM channel. If you remember it you remember it I suppose.

Kirby

Sep 25, 2017
There was cable radio you could pirate off off the cable splitter. The 70s version of XM

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Just one guy that I remember. He might not have even been national. I only remember one R&R station (105?) but late on Sunday nights it ran this show. Or it was an AM channel. If you remember it you remember it I suppose.

105 became Kiss 105 in ‘81. But… it was WGVL before that. Could have been that station

C6F752E3-2F7C-40F5-AEF7-A8C0D1FE8E10.jpeg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Okay. I definitely did not listen to country. And I remember when 104 was born in 1981. Before that I would have listened to the Top 40 station if that was the only other choice. If I had to guess based on which apartments I lived at the time I would guess it was 1980, Sunday nights, on either WRUF or WGGG

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator