Heggie Named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I thought he had a good game, but SEC OL of the week? Hopefully he keeps improving (we need Bleich to get better too).

Heggie Named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week

Heggie Named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week - Florida Gators

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The Southeastern Conference announced its weekly honors on Monday, as redshirt junior offensive lineman Brett Heggie was named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week for his efforts in Florida's 34-3 win over Tennessee on Saturday.

Heggie, a native of Mount Dora, Fla., notched his 11th career start on Saturday, while grading out a team-high 95 percent for the Gators on the offensive line, including one knock down.

Florida's offensive line accounted for 441 total yards, including 313 passing yards and 128 rushing yards, in Saturday's win. Additionally, the Gators have thrown for 250-plus yards in all four games this year behind the offensive line's performance up front, marking the first time since 2007 UF posted four straight 250-yard passing games.

Florida returns to the Swamp again this Saturday, Sept. 28, hosting Towson in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium for a 4 p.m. kickoff on the SEC Network.

Below is the list of SEC Player of the Week selections for Week 4:

OFFENSE
Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

DEFENSE
Cale Garrett, DB, Missouri

SPECIAL TEAMS
Rodrigo Blankenship, PK, Georgia

OFFENSIVE LINE
Brett Heggie, OL, Florida

DEFENSIVE LINE
Derrick Brown, DL, Auburn

FRESHMAN
Garrett Shrader, QB, Mississippi State

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I like Heggie...always have.

That said:
  • Run blocking stunk
  • Got beat several times
We are coming into the Big Boys...AUB, LSU, UGA...WE MUST get RUNNING GOING

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think Hev needs some sort of swag pancake chalice/chain/medallion or something on the sideline that the offensive lineman should get to put on after they knock someones ass in the dirt.....defensive guys shouldn't have all the fun :lol:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I think Hev needs some sort of swag pancake chalice/chain/medallion or something on the sideline that the offensive lineman should get to put on after they knock someones ass in the dirt.....defensive guys shouldn't have all the fun :lol:
I like the idea of recognizing the OL but please... no more stupid sideline gimmicks. I only “drunked” you because I’m afraid a coach or something will see your idea and run with it...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hmmmmm.... I guess that puts a little wrinkle in the whole "OL is terrible" vs "we are calling stupid ass plays" argument.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hmmmmm.... I guess that puts a little wrinkle in the whole "OL is terrible" vs "we are calling stupid ass plays" argument.
Well which is it? We've thrown the ball a lot more this year than I expected we would based on well.....Mullen. Pass protection(Miami not included) has been pretty decent. I think I actually saw a tiny bit of a push from them on Saturday but I'm convinced it's formation/personnel and not making the unblocked DE stay home by running right at him and forcing him to commit to the QB or RB on the edge.....simple option adjustment.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Anytime a Gator gets recognition it's a good thing and if an offensive lineman gets recognition then that's a real good thing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Never doubted his potential. I was asking if his performance last Saturday deserved the award.
Yes. Rewatch the game, use slow mo and watch the Oline with a few of those plays I posted a few days ago.

The back getting hit in the backfield by the DE isn't on the OL. It's on the QB or the coach for calling it bc he damn well knows no one is afraid of some QBs running.

I only recall one time that Heggie struggled. I was when he had moved to RG and perhaps forgot the play. He has been practicing at LG. Oddly, they had Gouraige in at LG. They are no doubt looking for a better 5.

Most of the time people THINK Heggie screwed up, it was Heggie coming late to help Buchanan, who just gets beaten regularly.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Never doubted his potential. I was asking if his performance last Saturday deserved the award.
I think he's been solid and although we've been disappointed with some aspects of the offensive line so far they only have 4 games under their belt as a unit...no other position group requires the same cohesiveness as the oline….I think this group has solid potential over the next 2 seasons minus a rash of injuries. Gouraige's contribution hasn't gone un noticed either despite some struggles.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yes. Rewatch the game, use slow mo and watch the Oline with a few of those plays I posted a few days ago.

The back getting hit in the backfield by the DE isn't on the OL. It's on the QB or the coach for calling it bc he damn well knows no one is afraid of some QBs running.

I only recall one time that Heggie struggled. I was when he had moved to RG and perhaps forgot the play. He has been practicing at LG. Oddly, they had Gouraige in at LG. They are no doubt looking for a better 5.

Most of the time people THINK Heggie screwed up, it was Heggie coming late to help Buchanan, who just gets beaten regularly.
I like the effort and attitude of Buchanan, but him being picked up by the UK NT and tossed into our QB's lap sticks in my mind.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like the effort and attitude of Buchanan, but him being picked up by the UK NT and tossed into our QB's lap sticks in my mind.
He just doesn't have it. Bases poorly and seems to get tossed around even by guys who arent that strong. He will face some real challenges in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.