Help Napier pick the next OC

Who should be the next Offensive Coordinator for the Gators?

• Joe Brady

Votes: 31 33.7%
  • Steve Spurrier Jr.

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • Scott Frost

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Jeff Scott

Votes: 13 14.1%
  • Other

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Kerwin Bell

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Ben Arbuckle

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Warren Ruggiero

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My fault. Didn't realize there was already a thread about this. Anyone with a problem can meet me behind the Tebow statue at 3pm.
You busy manning the I-75 rest stop until then?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would not be surprised if Napier goes after a Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVey, Matt Lafleur, Mike McDaniel protege we know nothing about.

FWIW…it might not be a sexy hire that would energize the fan base, but it would align with Napier’s vision for the program. And before we dismiss that type of hire out of hand, that is the exact kind of hire that just dominated us in the Kentucky game. Kentucky’s OC came from the Rams.

Todd Monken came from the Browns and the Bucs.

LSU got Joe Brady from the Saints.

Napier could do well to pick an NFL guy with a lot of scheme similarity running the ball, but who is also 10x smarter than he is in playcalling.

I don’t know who the guy is, but I think he hypothetically exists. Napier just has to find him.
Brian Johnson

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Where is Joe Brady coaching?

I think Mertz would do well under him.

Saulgoodman

Sep 26, 2019
I would not be surprised if Napier goes after a Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVey, Matt Lafleur, Mike McDaniel protege we know nothing about.

FWIW…it might not be a sexy hire that would energize the fan base, but it would align with Napier’s vision for the program. And before we dismiss that type of hire out of hand, that is the exact kind of hire that just dominated us in the Kentucky game. Kentucky’s OC came from the Rams.

Todd Monken came from the Browns and the Bucs.

LSU got Joe Brady from the Saints.

Napier could do well to pick an NFL guy with a lot of scheme similarity running the ball, but who is also 10x smarter than he is in playcalling.

I don’t know who the guy is, but I think he hypothetically exists. Napier just has to find him.
Kentuckys OC was there in 2021 before coming back this year. Nothing about Kentuckys offense has impressed me since the "Hefty Lefty" was there decades ago.

Also Brady strikes me as the type that DOESN'T want to recruit and would jump for the NFL at the first chance. I don't want to relive the OC carousel that we had to deal with during thr A$$chump Era whether it's from failure or success. And Brady was at LSU during the perfect year. Everywhere else has been meh.

Would like to take a chance on somebody who is proven at the college level over a span of 5 to 7 years that got to work with multiple QBs and had success with all of them.

Art Briles comes to mind but he is too old. Lots of connections in Texas but we would never go that route due to the baggage, too scared of what the media might say. Kingsbury would be a plus in my mind.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll push the name Tre Lamb just like I did Chris Holtmann in hoops. He’s going to get his chance somewhere in the power five sooner than later. He’s 34, and makes more sense talking in these clips than Billy does talking about offense:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I haven't read this thread, but since I want to stir up some crap, let's bring Charlie Weis Jr. home to where he got his first gig in collegiate coaching.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm right there
Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Interesting. I like the list.
Napier, at least, left the door open over media days. And honestly, I don't think there is much he can say about it during the season. Until proven otherwise I am going to assume that Napier can learn and evolve. So far I'd argue that he has. But the proof will be in the off-season.
Right now there is something to the argument that his offense is limited by Mertz. I don't think we find out until the oline is solid and Langway is the QB. And Napier could make that argument and try to buy himself another year but I think the noise in the system is going to be too loud and he'll have to shake things up sooner rather than later.
Regardless, he needs to win the games we expect him to win. This season. SC, Arky and Mo. for sure. I think FSU is beatable. LSU a wildcard. And Fcuk Georgia.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Our o-line is never gonna be solid if they don't start getting some decent kids to sign. O-line highschool and portal crootin has been trash and it shows.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
After reading the article, my vote is now Jeff Scott. I think he's a perfect compromise for what fans want/hope for in an offense and what Billy is likely comfortable moving towards. Scott's offense is basically an updated version of Billy's anyway with improved play design and route combos that can move faster when needed. Plus, Scott has the experience and resume that Billy can trust so Billy will be more comfortable fully turning things over to him. Throw in Scott's recruiting ties in FL, and this hire would be a home run.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Who are we dumping?
Rob Sale (OL)
Darnell Stapleton (OL)
Russ Calloway (TE)
Billy Gonzales (WR)
Jabbar Juluke (RB)

Austin Armstrong (DC)
Sean Spencer (DL)
Jay Bateman (ILB)
Mike Peterson (OLB)
Core Raymond (DBs)

Is there anything special about Sale or Stapleton? Cuz my inclination is to dump both and get a OC/QB Coach. AND a great recruiting OL coach.
And make one person responsible for STs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator