High Ankle Sprains

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I want to hear about prevention of high ankle sprain - some kind of "angled" tape strapping that discourages its occurrence. Then, some Feldenkrais expert who can correctly apply manipulation massage and strapping tape that supports unto function already existing high ankle sprains.?? Have them soaking ankles in Gatorade. Do both Z & G have the same injury?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Tua's injury sets up perfectly for Bama to do their patented don't-go-to-the-SECCG-but-still-go-to-the-playoffs-with-extra-rest technique.

I too want to know why Tua can get surgery and come back in 3 weeks while Zuniga takes Tylenol and Ben-Gay for it while out 2 months.
Then plays a quarter and is out again.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I want to hear about prevention of high ankle sprain - some kind of "angled" tape strapping that discourages its occurrence. Then, some Feldenkrais expert who can correctly apply manipulation massage and strapping tape that supports unto function already existing high ankle sprains.?? Have them soaking ankles in Gatorade. Do both Z & G have the same injury?
Not many things out there are designed to prevent twisting when a three pound lineman lands on your ankle.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well someday someone's going to at least improve the situation with some invented "gear-gizmo". What goes on now is Trask's knee gets injured, made more vulnerable and then they attach a really obtrusive brace that allows him to play. Guys started wearing one strap-like piece of tape...... now every one wears 3 or 4 strap-tapes here and there on their body. I heard there is a certification course physical therapist need to take to learn the muscle directions they need to place the tape.?? That's the "march" of sports medicine I expect to keep advancing.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don’t recall when Percy got hurt in 2008, but he missed the SECCG and made an heroic effort to rehab so he could return for the NC game.

Injuries vary in severity. I’m sure the medical staff is doing all they can and I don’t think they’d overlook an effective treatment.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
High Ankle Sprain vs. Ankle Sprain: What’s the Difference?

This article from New York's Hospital for Special Surgery explains the difference between common ankle sprains and high ankle sprains pretty good. High ankle sprains involve a different set of ligaments than common ankle sprains; high ankle sprains involving ligaments higher up the ankle involving the ligament connecting the tibia and fibula. An MRI can tell if the ligament is completely torn or is a partial tear. A complete tear probably will require surgery in an athlete whereas a partial tear might only require the same treatment as a common ankle sprain i.e. rest, ice, elevation perhaps physical therapy.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I remember when knees were getting ruined at a terrible rate and our entire off. line began wearing those knee braces. It looked like a group of Forest Gumps with that metal cage around his knees...........may have been the GReat Wall with Kerr and company

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Per a recent article, less than half of NFL teams currently use the tightrope procedure. Think about that for a second. Bama is a win at all cost program.

As I understand it the procedure is not "new" but is gaining traction and attention because of tua. I believe an auburn player had it performed in the early 2000s.

A screw used to tighten the gap to enable healing was not conducive to weight bearing due to the natural movement between the bones. Screws would either back out or break and also require a 2nd surgery to remove them.

Sure the tightrope surgery is reported to promote faster and better healing but I'm not sure it was intended to be used the way bama is using it, with very little rest. Soft tissue still needs to scar down and heal over.

I do wonder if Percy would have undergone it today given the circumstances in 2008

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Rules changes, style of play and different emphasis what calls are made by officials may have an affect on the increase in certain types of injuries teams get.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Injuries are part of the game and those sprain are usually from direct contact. If not the ankle it would probably be the knee or the tibia snapping. Just get a clamp for HD and put in on their leg instead of surgery. Much less invasive.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A syndesmotic ankle sprain is an injury to one or more of the ligaments comprising the distal tibiofibular syndesmosis; it is often referred to as a "high ankle sprain." Syndesmotic ankle injury is much less common than the typical ankle sprain, but is associated more often with significant morbidity and the need for surgical treatment. . An external rotation force applied to a dorsiflexed ankle is the most common mechanism. This can happen when the leg is rotated forcefully against a planted foot or toe.Pain from a syndesmotic injury is usually focused along the anterolateral ankle but may be more diffuse and severe if medial ligaments are disrupted. Athletes with severe injuries are usually unable to continue sport activity due to severe pain with any weight bearing. Common findings in patients with a high ankle sprain include antalgic gait or inability to bear weight, lateral and possibly anterior ankle edema, as well as tenderness over the anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament (AITFL) One of the most difficult aspects of evaluating a high ankle sprain is distinguishing between grade 1 (partial tear of AITFL; treated conservatively) and grade 2 (complete tear of AITFL; generally treated surgically) injuries. Referral to a knowledgeable orthopedic surgeon is indicated for grade 2 and grade 3 syndesmosis injuries and any grade 1 injury associated with a fracture.
Thanks you Sheldon Cooper

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well someday someone's going to at least improve the situation with some invented "gear-gizmo". What goes on now is Trask's knee gets injured, made more vulnerable and then they attach a really obtrusive brace that allows him to play. Guys started wearing one strap-like piece of tape...... now every one wears 3 or 4 strap-tapes here and there on their body. I heard there is a certification course physical therapist need to take to learn the muscle directions they need to place the tape.?? That's the "march" of sports medicine I expect to keep advancing.

Kinesiology tape. Or KT Tape. Stuff is amazing imo although the science is “unproven”. I personally saw the benefits when I was being treated for.... a brutal high ankle sprain.

KT Tape Therapeutic Kinesiology Tape

Elastic therapeutic tape - Wikipedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.