Hold That Tiger, Part I

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good win against a Mizzou team that was pretty stout defensively, but toothless for the most part on O. Second half was a defensive battle with no offensive points scored. Not surprised on our part defensively, but disappointed we were as impotent otherwise. Here are some thoughts and I'll begin with a continuation of the offensive woes subtopic:

*For as good as the OL was against Ol' Sis, they got handled, with a few first half exceptions by the Tigers. Summers looked frustrated as did Mac with this position group. Anytime you have some edge guys unblocked or not chipped, there is assignment issues or poor communication. I'm a little surprised we didn't keep the back (or backs) in more to help protect. I guess we shouldn't be surprised since inconsistency usually prevails when you have to rely on so many young or green players. OL development probably requires more time than any other position group. We'll see how this play within a play develops next week.

*Don't misunderstand, Grier is a good QB that is on track to be great, but he's got to learn, as Jesse Palmer pointed out, that he can't scramble every play into a winner. He's got to start throwing the ball away, not lose yards or risk injury, and snap it again.

*Two pretty good punters on the field tonight. Mizzou's was a little better, but even on our guy's worst contact, he still got a favorable roll. Wish the place kicking was as reliable. Thank goodness it hasn't hurt us thus far, but going like it is, it likely will at some point. Coverage teams have been pretty good of late.

*c2 jr. remarked that Tabor might be better than Hargreaves after his pick 6 (forgive him, but he's going through football withdrawal in his first year at college and is vicariously playing the role of coach). I don't think he's better...yet, but he's pretty special. Good in coverage and route recognition with great hands to boot. Good tackler, though he did miss one tonight when he failed to break down on the receiver. I'll think we'll keep him. Also, because of Hargreaves, he gets more chances to show what he can do.

*And speaking of DB's, how about Marcus May?! Kids growing into a dependable if not formidable safety.

*Defense was superb. Love the growth and maturity they have shown in the last two games. Mizzou wasn't very good offensively, but when you can do the job that is expected and not look past, that's a good indicator of the character and coachability of your squad. These guys are buying in.

*Little surprised we didn't try and attack the middle of the field passing in the second half. Also thought we could have circled a back with a good chance for success.

*Congrats to Taylor on 100 yds rushing, though he had to struggle for that last yard to get back to the century mark after being knocked back after going over.

Another set of Tigers loom. Fournette, as we all know by now is Four-midable! Sorry, I couldn't resist! But I really think we are good enough to slow him down and make the QB beat us, as the commentators spoke toward at game's end. The key will be if we can put the pressure on them with our offense. The OL will be a huge factor. The stage will be the biggest yet. Should be a game worth watching! Go Gators!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty much agree with that, the O-line showed tonight that they didn't magically turn into world beaters. They are going to be great for us, but its still early for them. Not enough time to throw, and no holes to run. They seemed to play better early and fade later....lack of depth causing fatigue? Those last few running plays with KT were embarrassing. Turnstile time.

Surprised we didn't see more screen passes against a rush like that. One thing I've always envied about Bama is their ability to run an effective screen game. On another note, it looks to me like Grier tries to take advantage of 1 on 1 coverages at times but our receivers NEVER beat their man on those go routes. At least that I can remember seeing. Seems like the defenders do such a good job checking our guys that the passes always sail 7 yards long.

Was frustrated a couple times that Callaway didn't catch the punt, instead letting it bounce in front of him and then roll past him. And do we even have a punt block scheme in the playbook? Seems like kind of a waste to play for the return and then not even catch the ball.

All in all, I think we knew after a while they weren't going to score many points against us and played it pretty vanilla. They were 0-13 on third down until second left in the game. Our D is absolutely legit, even with our LB problems. Maye has turned into a force, our CBs are the best in the nation, and our D line is fantastic.

I for one was pretty bored to be honest...but in a good "there's no way we're gonna lose to these chumps" way, and never thought the game was in doubt all night.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
cover2;n295031 said:
(forgive him, but he's going through football withdrawal in his first year at college and is vicariously playing the role of coach).
What is wrong with this?

Thanks for your other comments. Agree entirely, especially with buying in.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good comments and I agree with most. I got bored in the 2nd half but if I ever had any doubts about this coaching staff, just remember the MO game last year. The object is to win and we are 6 - 0!

Next week will be the barometer game of this season, we'll see how this young team responds in Death Valley.......

I think we have a solid chance....!!!!!!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't bored Its not like we weren't trying to score ala Chimp. We just weren't successful Our OL is going to limit us in many ways and in many games.

A win is a win is a win. This was a good win with a very young and undermanned roster.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
deuce;n295049 said:
Good comments and I agree with most. I got bored in the 2nd half but if I ever had any doubts about this coaching staff, just remember the MO game last year. The object is to win and we are 6 - 0!

Next week will be the barometer game of this season, we'll see how this young team responds in Death Valley.......

I think we have a solid chance....!!!!!!!!

This! Does anyone think that last year's regime would have scored 21 points in the game tonight? Ummm no....

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was probably a good result tonight for us. We walk out with a win, and a team that might have had a little hangover from last weeks big win gets their heads back on straight for the big two games in front of us. We put together six pretty darn good quarters of football starting with 15:00 left vs UT, I think we have more of that ahead if we avoid injuries and prep well. 6-0 is pretty nice but we have a pretty obvious ceiling until we get some more experience and depth.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
eudeMaize.png

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n295048 said:
What is wrong with this?

Thanks for your other comments. Agree entirely, especially with buying in.
You're right, Law. Nothing that we all do on here. Just made for a good opener on the subtopic and really is kind of cool that he and I can have these kind of discussions now. He was a QB/DB in high school, so he has a decent understanding of the throw game and coverage fundamentals. I think he would like to coach at some point, so that makes our discussions even better sometimes. He really likes the instincts Tabor displays and I would agree that it helps him to play fast and fluid. I also think folks around the SEC and in CFB in general are recognizing that we really don't have a weak corner to attack. May and Neal are getting better each week and provide what we need ion the hashes.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n295044 said:
Pretty much agree with that, the O-line showed tonight that they didn't magically turn into world beaters. They are going to be great for us, but its still early for them. Not enough time to throw, and no holes to run. They seemed to play better early and fade later....lack of depth causing fatigue? Those last few running plays with KT were embarrassing. Turnstile time.

Surprised we didn't see more screen passes against a rush like that. One thing I've always envied about Bama is their ability to run an effective screen game. On another note, it looks to me like Grier tries to take advantage of 1 on 1 coverages at times but our receivers NEVER beat their man on those go routes. At least that I can remember seeing. Seems like the defenders do such a good job checking our guys that the passes always sail 7 yards long.

Was frustrated a couple times that Callaway didn't catch the punt, instead letting it bounce in front of him and then roll past him. And do we even have a punt block scheme in the playbook? Seems like kind of a waste to play for the return and then not even catch the ball.

All in all, I think we knew after a while they weren't going to score many points against us and played it pretty vanilla. They were 0-13 on third down until second left in the game. Our D is absolutely legit, even with our LB problems. Maye has turned into a force, our CBs are the best in the nation, and our D line is fantastic.

I for one was pretty bored to be honest...but in a good "there's no way we're gonna lose to these chumps" way, and never thought the game was in doubt all night.
Definitely agree about the missing screen game. Also agree about punt returns, the team and when we block or rush and Calloway's decisions. Group-wise, PR is all about effort. We seem to give more on the block call than the "Jesse James!" Calloway broke the cardinal rule a few times by not setting up and fielding the punt and/or trying to chase and pick it up when coverage was upon him. A talented but 18 year old brain at work.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Lots covered here but taking care of the ball on the road cannot be overlooked. Maybe they should have had a few picks but when it was done we didnt lose the ball and they did big time. Must have set a record in the 3rd qtr for punts. Misery def was as good as claimed and they even made adjustments as we did. 6 and 0 is impressive no matter how you dissect. NOW, how do we overcome all that great LSU kharma from their treatment of the gamecocks? I mean they are the feel good story in CFB, The NCAA even approved in RECORD Time the 4net jersey sale for charity. That stadium, historically for UF has never been the scary place it is promoted to be. In fact our record there is very good. I bet lsu comes out throwing and we have some new def schemes for them. 6-0.......this is Spurrieresque.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
One thing that stood out to me was that was almost none of the gesturing or taunting type stuff that our players did a lot of under previous regimes. Our guys made the play, did not call attention to themselves, and got back into position to play the next play. That's part of buying in. It's a good thing.

I was never bored watching this game. It was a punter's duel there for awhile. The punters were able to flip the field. It was field position football. It was like watching a pitcher's duel in baseball.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The offensive line definitely had some communication issues. First time on the road in a while. The crowd noise probably played a big role there. Plus the Mizzou defense isn't a bunch of scrubs. One of the things that has really stood out to me this year is how quickly the coaching staff has cleaned up the stupid penalties. We are historically a terrible team when it comes to penalties and to turn that around so quickly is phenomenal. The only thing that I can really complain about is that the offensive gamelan seemed to lose its direction in the second half. The play calls seemed to be grasping at straws instead of setting things up. All in all it was a good game and I am stoked to be 6-0.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
4 penalties for 30 yards. 37 minutes to 23 TOP zero TOs on the road with a Fr QB. That is big time football. SOME real coaching is going on here.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;295164 said:
4 penalties for 30 yards. 37 minutes to 23 TOP zero TOs on the road with a Fr QB. That is big time football. SOME real coaching is going on here.
I don't think i will be able to hear time of possession without cringing ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.