Houston loses to Navy and SMU, still on the Herman train?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Tell me again how great SMU and Navy are? Let me throw this at ya, other than Houston, who has either of those two teams beaten? NOBODY!

I love you guys. Mac sucks because he hasn't beat anybody. Oh, but Navy and SMU are awesome because they beat Houston, but they've beat nobody else. How great is Houston by the way? They aren't even ranked in the AP anymore. Yeah, Herman's a stud. Go lick his nuts some more.

And who are these other "elite" coaches you keep talking about? The only 2 I know of are Saban & Meyer. Who are they?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Herman hit a rough patch the last few weeks but the guy is clearly a great coach. Way too much overreacting going on in here.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
No one is "pumping" anything about Herman. I'm explaining that it's not a bad loss. Why would anyone think that Houston is all of a sudden a powerhouse? Hell, when McElwain went 10-2 at CSU he lost to Air Force....and STILL got the UF job. Was that "bad" loss? No. It was a conference game. Unbelievable that you can't have a simple discussion about college football....and it has to turn into a pissing contest about how great our new coach is.....
You're right, it's impossible to have a discussion because of this kind of response.

Where in that post did I say that our "new" coach (who's halfway through season 2 by the way) was great? But here you and several others are, felating Tom Herman like he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi, and therefore above reproach for "bad" losses. Navy and SMU are nobodies, that's why they're bad losses.

Houston isn't some kind of powerhouse program, no, but let's don't pretend they didn't beat a pretty good football team in FSU during bowl season, then follow that up by trouncing Oklahoma, who some had going back to the playoff this year. That's why losses to fkin Navy and SMU are bad losses, because of those big wins. If they'd lost to Oklahoma and FSU, would Herman be getting the attention he was getting in the first place? No. That's all I'm saying. Good, up and coming coach? Sure. Bill Walsh 2.0? Maybe an exaggeration for most of us that know these "next big time football coach" types come and go.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You're right, it's impossible to have a discussion because of this kind of response.

Where in that post did I say that our "new" coach (who's halfway through season by the way) was great? But here you and several others are, felating Tom Herman like he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi, and therefore above reproach for "bad" losses. Navy and SMU are nobodies, that's why they're bad losses.

Houston isn't some kind of powerhouse program, no, but let's don't pretend they didn't beat a pretty good football team in FSU during bowl season, then follow that up by trouncing Oklahoma, who some had going back to the playoff this year. That's why losses to fkin Navy and SMU are bad losses, because of those big wins. If they'd lost to Oklahoma and FSU, would Herman be getting the attention he was getting in the first place? No. That's all I'm saying. Good, up and coming coach? Sure. Bill Walsh 2.0? Maybe an exaggeration for most of us that know these "next big time football coach" types come and go.

First off, you implied I was defending Herman at the sake of denigrating our coach. That wasn't the case at all. Go back and read the thread (or at least my comments). I don't think Navy is a "bad" loss. And SMU has a coach similar to Herman, Chad Morris...who is building his program as well. So now that Houston beat FSU and Oklahoma they are supposed to just roll through their conference opponents as if they were Bama playing a bunch of SEC East teams? Those conference games are tough. Like I said, even McElwain during his rock-star season at CSU lost to Air Force. Sure, he probably had a better team....but it's college football, those types of games happen when you have 18-22 year olds playing w/ emotion.

Go read my post on the 2nd page where I said that this is Herman's SECOND season as a head coach....and I'd prefer to see him coach another year or two before offering him up a Texas type job. I used a comparison to an NFL back up QB getting 4 or 5 starts for the injured starter, doing well...and then getting a $20 million contract (you don't have enough track record to know if those 4 games were a fluke or he's going to be the next Tom Brady). Herman can land a big gig next and fail...or be Bill Walsh 2.0. Who knows? But as a fan and as an AD I'd be more comfortable w/ another year or two. McElwain had 3 years. But the way things are in CFB, and the win NOW attitudes....and AD will take a shot at him and hope he turns out to be the next Urban.

It's easy to say the SMU and/or Navy loss was "bad". But again, it's Houston. It's a conference game. He's not coaching at Ohio State and they just paid Houston $1 million to come there and take a beating and go home (like we did w/ Georgia Southern). That would be a "bad" loss. It's Houston. He has them ranked and playing way over their heads. The only non-Power 5 team that has consistently earned that reputation (to be on par w/ a P5 school) is Boise.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
First off, you implied I was defending Herman at the sake of denigrating our coach. That wasn't the case at all. Go back and read the thread (or at least my comments). I don't think Navy is a "bad" loss. And SMU has a coach similar to Herman, Chad Morris...who is building his program as well. So now that Houston beat FSU and Oklahoma they are supposed to just roll through their conference opponents as if they were Bama playing a bunch of SEC East teams? Those conference games are tough. Like I said, even McElwain during his rock-star season at CSU lost to Air Force. Sure, he probably had a better team....but it's college football, those types of games happen when you have 18-22 year olds playing w/ emotion.

Go read my post on the 2nd page where I said that this is Herman's SECOND season as a head coach....and I'd prefer to see him coach another year or two before offering him up a Texas type job. I used a comparison to an NFL back up QB getting 4 or 5 starts for the injured starter, doing well...and then getting a $20 million contract (you don't have enough track record to know if those 4 games were a fluke or he's going to be the next Tom Brady). Herman can land a big gig next and fail...or be Bill Walsh 2.0. Who knows? But as a fan and as an AD I'd be more comfortable w/ another year or two. McElwain had 3 years. But the way things are in CFB, and the win NOW attitudes....and AD will take a shot at him and hope he turns out to be the next Urban.

It's easy to say the SMU and/or Navy loss was "bad". But again, it's Houston. It's a conference game. He's not coaching at Ohio State and they just paid Houston $1 million to come there and take a beating and go home (like we did w/ Georgia Southern). That would be a "bad" loss. It's Houston. He has them ranked and playing way over their heads. The only non-Power 5 team that has consistently earned that reputation (to be on par w/ a P5 school) is Boise.
Yeah I'm familiar with Chad Morris. Kinda blew my mind that he took that SMU job. That's a tough place to win when you're not cheating up a storm. I guess I just don't get the love. Is the guy a good coach, sure he is. Houston has had some coaches that used them as a springboard to a better job.... Sumlin and Briles come to mind. I think if Herman gets offered the Texas job, he'd snatch it up in a minute, and who could blame him? I doubt they go after him now, but I could be wrong.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said, even McElwain during his rock-star season at CSU lost to Air Force.
When did Butters have a rockstar season? Finishing 3rd in the WAC,diluted with terrible directional schools, sure as hell isnt even close to rockstar.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
In his 2nd season Mac lost to 4-8 CU, 3-9 Tulsa and 6-6 SJSU and yet Foley paid $5M to get him here. Herman has done world's better than Mac including Mac's tenure here. Mac went 3-3 against teams with just a winning record in 2014 and we hired him

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah I'm familiar with Chad Morris. Kinda blew my mind that he took that SMU job. That's a tough place to win when you're not cheating up a storm. I guess I just don't get the love. Is the guy a good coach, sure he is. Houston has had some coaches that used them as a springboard to a better job.... Sumlin and Briles come to mind. I think if Herman gets offered the Texas job, he'd snatch it up in a minute, and who could blame him? I doubt they go after him now, but I could be wrong.

Agree, he'd be crazy not to take Texas.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Houstons gonna finish 9-3 and someone is gonna make a run at him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When did Butters have a rockstar season? Finishing 3rd in the WAC,diluted with terrible directional schools, sure as hell isnt even close to rockstar.

Law, I use that term very loosely. It was his "money" season (the season that vaulted him into the upper echelon jobs category, like last year for Herman). Chad Morris probably just made himself a lot of money w/ that win last night vs. Houston (he'll move on to a better job).

This whole thing is a crap-shoot anyway. Look at Saban's record at Michigan State. There was nothing there that really said he'd go on to have the success he had at LSU, yet LSU made the hire.

As a fan of a program like UF, I'm happier we hired McElwain with 3 years head coaching experience and SEC coordinator experience vs. a coordinator who had never been a head coach. UGA has just done it for the 2nd consecutive time. You can argue that Richt wasn't successful, but that's not accurate outside of not winning an NC (that doesn't happen often).

A coach like Herman has the Meyer/Saban tag (from their coaching tree) and he's done well at a lower-level program. He'll be at a Texas real soon, making close to $5 million/year. No doubt. That's just how it works.

So, sorry for the "rock star" comment....but it was more like his "money" season. 10-2 is a pretty good season for a Colorado State. Go look what Bobo is doing out there (falling on his face).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In his 2nd season Mac lost to 4-8 CU, 3-9 Tulsa and 6-6 SJSU and yet Foley paid $5M to get him here. Herman has done world's better than Mac including Mac's tenure here. Mac went 3-3 against teams with just a winning record in 2014 and we hired him

It's a bad comparison, the second tier talent you are going to get at Houston is 1000x better than the second teir talent you are going to get in Colorado. This isn't a knock on Herman or a defense of McElwain... just pointing out that a really $hit comparison. It's like comparing the second tier talent you are going to get at USF/UCF to what you are going to get at Montana State.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's a bad comparison, the second tier talent you are going to get at Houston is 1000x better than the second teir talent you are going to get in Colorado. This isn't a knock on Herman or a defense of McElwain... just pointing out that a really $hit comparison. It's like comparing the second tier talent you are going to get at USF/UCF to what you are going to get at Montana State.

Houston was also an 8-5 team in 2014, so it's not like they were a 2-10 team and he miraculously turned it around. Herman has done an outstanding job, regardless. But this whole conversation is silly just because Houston lost a couple of conference games to not-so-bad teams. Like I said, Chad Morris (SMU) probably just made himself a lot of money by beating Herman/Houston.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Then who's an equal comparison?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you understand that Houston hired Herman in 2014? He's been there less than 2 years....and he lost to a top 25 Navy team and that's a "bad" loss?

You do realize that you could insert Florida for Houston, Mac for Herman, AND say bama, fsu, etc for Navy and you just described our situation to a T. Mac was hired on to take over the dumpster fire that muschamp left and began his tenure with 7 offensive lineman and a few bouncers from the local bars as walk-ons to be able to hold practice.

Look, I'm frustrated as hell and I am not happy with the state of our program. In fact, it pisses me off and I'm sick and tired of watching such inept offense. I'm only pointing out the irony of the situation. The same points you used to defend Herman are the same arguments Mac and company have but people are clamoring for Mac to GTFO.

The truth is next year will be the make or break year for Mac. Hopefully our pitifully young OL will finally come of age and some of the playmakers on O will come into their own. The only problem is, I fully expect his recruiting failures on the defensive side of the ball this last cycle to come full swing and bite him in the arse. So while I expect we'll see a vastly improved offense... our D will be taking a giant step back. And this years strength may be next years undoing.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who added smu to the thread title for click baiting?

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Has anybody thought that maybe Texas already contacted Herman about the job, Herman accepted the job and he has been distracted and therefore his team has been losing? I love conspiracies

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You do realize that you could insert Florida for Houston, Mac for Herman, AND say bama, fsu, etc for Navy and you just described our situation to a T. Mac was hired on to take over the dumpster fire that muschamp left and began his tenure with 7 offensive lineman and a few bouncers from the local bars as walk-ons to be able to hold practice.

Look, I'm frustrated as hell and I am not happy with the state of our program. In fact, it pisses me off and I'm sick and tired of watching such inept offense. I'm only pointing out the irony of the situation. The same points you used to defend Herman are the same arguments Mac and company have but people are clamoring for Mac to GTFO.

The truth is next year will be the make or break year for Mac. Hopefully our pitifully young OL will finally come of age and some of the playmakers on O will come into their own. The only problem is, I fully expect his recruiting failures on the defensive side of the ball this last cycle to come full swing and bite him in the arse. So while I expect we'll see a vastly improved offense... our D will be taking a giant step back. And this years strength may be next years undoing.

I was actually talking about Herman and Houston. All these other jokers/clowns have kept bringing McElwain into this. Itried to talk about Herman, because this thread is about Herman. My whole argument is that Herman was hired at Houston, a mid-major. He won BCS bowl game his first year and has defeated two powerhouse P5 teams. He's a good coach, regardless of losing to Navy and SMU, who are conference opponents and are also decent - on a similar level as Houston - type teams. But because of the expectations he set his first year now all of a sudden it's a bad loss. Had he lost to those teams last year he never would have been in the discussion as one of the next great coaches. And again, my argument is that I'd like to see him coach another year or two before we take his "money" season and roll the dice hiring him at a major program (not like he's coming to UF, but at Texas or wherever decides to open the check book for a guy with only 2 seasons as a head coach). He could be the next Urban....or he could be the next Brady Hoke. Who knows....but this thread is about Herman, not McElwain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.