How does this UT game winner compare to Grier-to-Callaway?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This one felt more like a dagger into the hearts of the Vols... or maybe I'm just pulling for the kid to develop reads to go with that arm :grin:

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Franks' pass was the longest TD pass to win a game since 2002. Just saw this on ESPN. I'm sure someone else has pointed it out already.
This gives me at least some interest in the team. Franks might be a good QB. Certainly haven't had one here that's been quite like him.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Not trolling. Just curious.

Which means I'm trolling. :lol:

For now, this is less a big deal. Grier to Callaway gave 99.9% of Gator fans hope. Everyone was in McElwain's corner. It gave UF fans great hope as Grier's play was the end of a great rally and UF fans felt maybe UF had found a QB.

Franks to Cleveland got UF a win in a game UF should have won. I doubt the way that game went brought very many UF fans around on McElwain or Franks.

If somehow Franks finally become that QB and UF starts having a respectable offense, then it was a really big deal. Even if UF slops its way to winning the East as I think UF will, and FSU and the SEC championship game go the same way as the last two years, then it will not be that big a deal.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
In the callaway game, I thought we won because of coaching. It was the 1st year post-muschamp, and thought we had something special with Mac.

This game, we won DESPITE coaching. Even though our coach can't manage the clock, know when to accept/decline penalties, or call a creative play, we still won.

Calloway game was more satisfying. This game leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
If we just look at the pass play, the Franks-Cleveland play was much more impressive. Grier's pass to Callaway was really no big deal. The yards after the catch were impressive, and those only happened because of Powell's great block of 3 Vols. Franks' pass was timed to hit Cleveland in stride. It wasn't a Hail Mary as reported in the media. I've never seen a 66-yard pass perfectly hit a receiver in stride. The play was so good it actually compensated for sitting through a really crappy game.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The play was so good it actually compensated for sitting through a really crappy game.

A little, but not quite completely. I'm still pissed about all the missed tackles, and all the throws behind the LOS. We need to be more vertical in our passing game. Franks has the arm for it.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Grier to Mary Jane was bigger as that was 4th down. Game's over if we don't convert compared to yesterday when we would have gone to OT if we don't connect for the TD. Both were still fantastic, though.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yesterday was more shocking, Callaway's was bigger because we were losing at that point. Crazy that it was the exact same play call and distance both times.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
A little, but not quite completely. I'm still pissed about all the missed tackles, and all the throws behind the LOS. We need to be more vertical in our passing game. Franks has the arm for it.

We've seen it, and it works. So the players can execute if the right plays are called. That leaves blame fully on MacNuss going forward....thought the OL sure could do better.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As far as Throws the Franks throw was far more impressive... hit a receiver in stride from 65+ yards away. Callaway did most of the leg work on that one. As far as the last 5 minutes of the game Grier was more impressive. Grier was a better QB at this point, but Grier doesn't have Franks arm... then again, not many quarterbacks do.

But really in both games, Tennessee lost the game, more than we won it. Tennessee doesn't know how to defend a lead against us. Makes bone headed play calls. If Tennessee had a real coach they would have been 4-0 against us the last 4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator