How good are our coaches at coaching?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly I think as a whole they are sub par coaches. I think we have some really good ones and I think we have some average ones. Recruiting wise I think they are in the bottom half of the SEC as a whole and here though I don't think we have not one elite or even good recruiter.
You guys can give him dislikes but it's hardly arguable. We just finished the two worst recruiting classes in modern Gator football.

You can hope things get better, we all do, but the record so far is clear at least on the recruiting front. I don't blame Mac. I blame our super special, red tag clearance coaching staff.

That will have to change cause I don't care if your Nick Saban if you have a bunch a average talent you ain't winning no championships
Yeah Saban stated publicly that he left Sparty bc he wasn't even able to be the alpha dog in his own state. Had to split the top recruits with Meatchicken. He also mostly went 7-5 there and the first few years at LSU.

It takes recruits, top recruits and lots of them. Anyone who suggests otherwise has their head in the sand.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
That's a long time. The echo of poor recruiting classes is 2-3 years down the road. Tough to commit 8 years to a guy but that's really what happens. Even re-evaluating after 3 years means you have given a guy basically 5 years of your program.

If last year was the beginning of better things, then we won't have to worry. If last year was as good as it gets, and he pulls another 21-17 stint, I think the decision will be made sooner rather than later. It always is when a new AD is involved.

Honestly don't think it's going to come to that. Mac will get us to Atlanta most years. It's really a question of when does 'bama's deal with the devil end. Nobody is as obviously bad as Muscramp was so quickly. Worst case scenario is that Mac gets us in a Richt scenario if being good but just not good enough and I think that will take another 4-5 years to determine. Regarding recruiting though Mac really needs to pick up a marquee, face of the program, offensive player. We haven't had a star on the team since Tebow and that's been 7 years now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, the Richt type hire is everyone's worst nightmare.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well, the Richt type hire is everyone's worst nightmare.
Yep and I think that's were we will be. Wondering if Mac has Richtitus or not.
Recruits should come if we win. Which means wining at home and beating F$U. And we need to play exciting offense. But didn't a recruit say that Florida isn't winning any championships any time soon. What that means is that we have to be competitive with 'bama in the SECCGs.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly don't think it's going to come to that. Mac will get us to Atlanta most years. It's really a question of when does 'bama's deal with the devil end. Nobody is as obviously bad as Muscramp was so quickly. Worst case scenario is that Mac gets us in a Richt scenario if being good but just not good enough and I think that will take another 4-5 years to determine. Regarding recruiting though Mac really needs to pick up a marquee, face of the program, offensive player. We haven't had a star on the team since Tebow and that's been 7 years now.

Oh, we have him already. ;) We're just one Del Rio major injury away from him.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am sorry but I don't see why everyone is so down on Summers.
I am not saying he is the greatest, I believe the jury is out on him due to the lack of material he had to work with.
Before you rip the guy, take a step back and look at what we called an offensive line last year, it was a complete joke. We had 3 legitimate D-1 linemen and one of them was a true freshman.
If we see the same turnstile OL this year, then fine, but until then give the guy a break.

Comments like this baffle me. Summers first year as OL coach he 4 OL drafted by the NFL and our OL was average at best under his coaching. Then, his poor recruiting left us with OL more suited to the MAC conference than to UF- and, we had the worst OL in the SEC last season. My hope was after FAU's DL completely manhandled our OL in GAME 11, and Mac made the dead fish comment when discussing the piss poor OL play in that game, that Summers would have been fired. Now, he is retained and gets big raise... he needs to have the OL perform this season.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Comments like this baffle me. Summers first year as OL coach he 4 OL drafted by the NFL and our OL was average at best under his coaching. Then, his poor recruiting left us with OL more suited to the MAC conference than to UF- and, we had the worst OL in the SEC last season. My hope was after FAU's DL completely manhandled our OL in GAME 11, and Mac made the dead fish comment when discussing the piss poor OL play in that game, that Summers would have been fired. Now, he is retained and gets big raise... he needs to have the OL perform this season.
I don't necessarily agree with everything you had to say up there, but I do agree that this is the year Summers needs to put up or be moved out. We cannot progress without a functioning O-Line.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, we have him already. ;) We're just one Del Rio major injury away from him.
I'm sorry but no one can be that big of an Applebees homer. He has the right skillset no doubt, but he was a backup at Purdue and now a backup at UF for a reason.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
There's a huge difference between being a good teacher or coach and getting results....I think Mac is a good builder and good teacher however we'll know by the end of next season if he is a long term "great coach"....If his staff doesn't put a push on the recruiting trail there won't be enough left in the tank to fuel any coach to championship level play in THIS conference....

As far as the rest of the staff goes, some will stay, some will go, and more than likely 1 or 2 will be asked to leave. Like I said, Mac is a good builder IMO, all the rest will determine if he will be a good or great coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but John L Smith was one one of the worst coaches I have ever seen.
Poor organizer and CEO but good at making wide open game plans and making in game adjustments.... at least he was. Now I think he's pickled.

My point was that the offense looks more like Smith/Petrino than anything Satan ever put on the field.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I'm sorry but no one can be that big of an Applebees homer. He has the right skillset no doubt, but he was a backup at Purdue and now a backup at UF for a reason.
I feel rather certain he wasn't referring to Appleby :lol:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
If Mac starts to fall on his face, holy crap do we need an amazing AD or we can kiss the good time goodbye.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't necessarily agree with everything you had to say up there, but I do agree that this is the year Summers needs to put up or be moved out. We cannot progress without a functioning O-Line.

Which I believe is exactly what I said in my post.
The jury is out on Summers until this season is over. If the OL sucks we can him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator