How many teams actually cheat in recruiting?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
CBS Sports decided to ask the coaches themselves. Apparently, it's thought that SEC and ACC schools funnel money to players through churches. It's also thought that Bear Bryant would pay for students to attend law school if they promised to work in the NCAA infractions department and be a Bama spy.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...how-many-teams-cheat-commit-major-violations/

Candid Coaches: Revealing how many teams cheat, commit major violations

Are major NCAA violations just accidents or do programs know exactly what they're doing?

Following in the footsteps of our college basketball brethren here at CBS Sports, college football writers Dennis Dodd, Chip Patterson and Barrett Sallee spoke with one-fifth of the 130 active coaches leading FBS teams entering the 2017 season. They asked for honest opinions on everything from NCAA rules to social issues to their peers in the profession. We will be sharing their candid thoughts over a two-week period leading into the season.

Whether your favorite team loses out on a prized recruit or is suddenly more successful on the field than they have been in decades, those following college football always wonder whether the sport is as clean as the NCAA portends it to be or if it just might be dirtier than coaches let on. Granted the condition of anonymity, we asked coaches ...

How many college football programs do you believe knowingly break NCAA rules beyond minor secondary violations?

Teams who knowingly cheat Responses
0-10 percent (0-13 teams) 57 percent

11-20 percent (14-26 teams) 17 percent

21-30 percent (27-39 teams) 22 percent

30 percent or more (40-130 teams) 4 percent

Explain yourselves
  • "Players are smart. When the game is over, they walk through the parking lot. When the tailgate is over, they may have $400-$500 before they get out of there. Players are smart. They may have scored a big touchdown or won a big game. There ain't no question they're getting something on the way. [A booster] is going to go downtown and say, 'I just gave so and so $50 for dinner.' ... I guarantee [that sort of thing] is going to happen at Ole Miss and Alabama and Mississippi State and Tennessee and Texas probably and Oklahoma -- for sure."
  • "I think it's way, way, way, way less than people think. There is that deal in the SEC and the ACC where they're funneling money through ... churches. [But] as soon as you pay some kids, they're in charge of something. Think of some 18-year-old in charge of something. Call me too arrogant to pay some kid. I'm not paying some kid. Think of some kid saying, 'I'm not getting the ball enough.' Let me tell you something, pal ..."
  • "Less than 10 percent [of schools cheat]. In today's world, I want to believe it's a minimum number. I always tell our coaches, 'Sometimes today's friend can be your worst enemy.' I'm not going to put my job in jeopardy to let you meet with a kid an hour longer than we're supposed to. All of the sudden he wants to transfer and he says, 'They did this.' Because of that, there are more teams closer to the book."
  • "Out of the 130 FBS schools in FBS, I would say, in the SEC, 80 percent [knowingly cheat]. Everywhere else, about 20 percent."
  • "[A coach will say to a student], 'I'll pay your law school if you spend your first five years working in the [NCAA] infractions department.' … I know it happens. I know the guy. He's a good guy, but it's 30 years ago, 25 years ago. You want to know everything that goes on. Bear Bryant used to say, 'I want to know everything that goes on.'"
Breaking it down

It seems like coaches are either naive or don't know want to know the level of cheating going on around them. Either way, they are insulated from reality. Most coaches in this survey said they thought intentional cheating -- major violations -- go on at no more than 10 percent of schools. And maybe that's true. There aren't the resources or the will in leagues like Conference USA or the Sun Belt for the $100 handshake.

More likely, the coaches' assessment is probably naive and short-sighted. You have to think creatively. Cheaters do. Check out that quote from a coach who has maintained for years that a law student had his school paid for in exchange for the promise he'd try to be hired by the NCAA enforcement division.

The "mole" then would report back to his school about goings on in enforcement. To believe this -- and the coach swears it's true -- you first have to assume the school in question is a serial cheater. Why go to the lengths of placing a spy in the NCAA? That's next level, double-agent stuff. I suggest you read Nelson DeMille's "The Charm School" for context.

You also have to assume that sort of conduct is the extreme. But it is believable. A few years ago, I did a story on the creative ways schools cheat. NCAA enforcement chief Jon Duncan told me that "tractors, farm implements" can be used as extra benefits. So yeah, it's a bit nuts out there.

In college football, any coach worth his whistle has insulated himself from the knowledge of impropriety. The unspoken directive is, "Just get it done." There's a reason just under half of all coaches surveyed believe there is rampant cheating going on, with one going so far as to say 80 percent of the SEC cheats. Another indicated at least 50 percent of all teams nationally cheat.
The figure I keep hearing from a certain conference is $80,000 to land a top player. That money, as you can see from one coach, can be filtered through local churches. Usually, they are non-profits whose records can't be reached by media or the NCAA. Anyone remember Cam Newton?

There's a lot of SEC references in these quotes. Seems reasonable. That's where football matters the most. Check out the detailed description of players walking through the postgame tailgate getting "$400-$500" just by putting their hands out after a big win.

You don't have to be told the SEC is where the biggest scandals exist. That's why Ole Miss' top 2013 top-10 recruiting class drew so much attention. The NCAA is still sniffing around. Hugh Freeze lost his job during the investigation. By getting so good so fast, a middle-of-the-road program like Ole Miss also got sloppy.

I like the line from a coach who suggested the cheating culture goes back decades. "Bear Bryant used to say, 'I want to know everything that goes on.'" Could that have included one school paying for a double-agent to infiltrate the NCAA? The coach I spoke swears it's true.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you ain't cheating, we can hear the bleating..

Of course most coaches will say that they don't think others are cheating, if 90% said that cheating was prevalent, it would raise eyebrows and put a bigger spotlight on the situation. So they use the standard line.. The 10 - 15 percent that think it, probably run a fairly clean process and know the others DO cheat

Last edited:

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Losers always complain about cheating.

If you read the article (and if the poll can be trusted) 96% of NCAA coaches think fewer than 40 teams actively cheat. Even more shocking is that 57% of coaches think 13 or fewer teams actively cheat.

It appears that it is not as wide spread as many may think.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
"It depends on what your definition of cheat is"

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia Southern for sure!

:bananadance2:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you read the article (and if the poll can be trusted) 96% of NCAA coaches think fewer than 40 teams actively cheat. Even more shocking is that 57% of coaches think 13 or fewer teams actively cheat.

It appears that it is not as wide spread as many may think.
There's a reason why there are only so many good teams...the big programs have big money to spend

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Many probably most teams cheat some. Maybe not buying cars and finding fake jobs for mama, but there are so manynthings that are technically against the rules.

I will say that when I was there, UF players didnt have nice cars, bling and cash inntheir pockets. When someone did show upnw a new car, like Rutledge, people noticed amd players got suspended.

That being said, I also know a good deal about a smaller1Aa school in which the star players always had all the above. It isnt just the Alabammers amd Missippi. I know for sure they are just as brazen at Crackumbus as at Tuscaloosa.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That bagman story posted a few years ago just screamed Alabama to me.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
There's no way Auburn and Alabama don't push the line daily. Ole Miss and Auburn seem like they do the dirtiest things to try to keep up with Alabama's cheating.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
But, at Bama, it isn't cheating. It's a way of life, just the way the world works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator