How many wins do superior athletes add?

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016
Like many of you here, I was not thrilled when we hired Mullen. However, he seems to be doing all the right things right now and I like his enthusiasm. He also seems like the type who’s not gonna bolt because someone else gives him a little attention - he’s in. The remaining concern then is that he was a 7-8 win coach at MSU. The point in our favor though is the idea that we attract a superior athlete to MSU. So I ask, how many more wins will these superior athletes get Mullen here?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Elite like Tebow or Harvin give you 3-4 per year. There is no excuses if he doesn’t win 10+ at UF. I will give him a pass next only because of the shyt show he has adopted.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This reminds me of the OP in the Better Homes and Gardening forum that asked if water and fertilizer might help.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
A talent like Cam probably added 4-5 wins to that Auburn team he was on, they’d been nothing minus him. So probably at least 3 plus a year

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Everyone knows I am not on the Cousin Eddie bandwagon and don;t drink the Kool Aid, but if Cousin Eddie proves me wrong I will say so. but this topic of UF attracting superior athletes relative to lots of schools to me is a bit of a farce. I watch a lot of college football and our players are no more athletic that 12 other schools in the SEC. So why is everyone convinced that Cousin Eddie will get the very BEST players? He may but I doubt it. Dumbo got as many GREAT raw players as anyone and would you say they were unbeatable every year? NO. Everyone has a lot of great players. Talent development is way way way more important now than just getting a superior athlete. We have a lot of good athletes, however they are horrible football players (for several reasons). All the yayhoos who are calling the shows saying how Cousin Eddie is going to have a plethora of talent at his disposal relative to Cowtown to me is just false. did you see MSU this year? They had way better athletic talent than we had, yet within 4 or less hours drive from this place sits enough players who will play at the next level to have a complete team. We have had a lot of very very very good players come to UF in the 2000's, but most of them can be found on every SEC roster. Percy Harvins, Tim Tebow, Leonard Fournette . etc. don't grow on trees. All the hundreds of other guys do and everyone has them. What you do with them is where the money is made!!!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I watch a lot of college football and our players are no more athletic that 12 other schools in the SEC. So why is everyone convinced that Cousin Eddie will get the very BEST players?

We are currently middle of the pack in the SEC. Let's hope that changes.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Players are everything in college FB. And not just having a star like Tebow or DeShaun Watson etc, but more about depth. When you can rotate linemen and linebackers into a game and not lose much production then you are going to do well. When there is nobody playing behind the starters then you are gonna die at the end of games and the end of the season even if you manage to come out of the gate strong.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This reminds me of the OP in the Better Homes and Gardening forum that asked if water and fertilizer might help.
Did you use trend analysis to determine aggregate response to the question? I would think you could pile all the schit up you could get your hands on and adding water would just make it a bigger mess than it already is.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Did you use trend analysis to determine aggregate response to the question? I would think you could pile all the schit up you could get your hands on and adding water would just make it a bigger mess than it already is.
I actually based it on my personal preference for sprinkling the bleu cheese after I pour the dressing.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How many victories will superior players add? = None, they have tutors to add for them.

don;t drink the Kool Aid,
Is that a swipe at me? I didn't drink. I hid in the bushes and flew out of Guyana next day.

Flying? Brings to mind one of my joke-spiels:
"As I sat looking out my window on EL AL Airlines, I watched as my luggage vanished into Finn Air."

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So I ask, how many more wins will these superior athletes get Mullen here?

The answer in college depends on how good your conference is. In a top conference, superior athletes do not add many wins at all if any. That is what drove Meyer out of UF. In the MAC or the Mountain West you can recruit superior athletes and they do give you an edge. In the SEC you can't usually though the SEC is down now, but that is mainly hiring bad coaches. So Meyer retreated to the Big cant count past 10 where a few teams like Ohio State and Michigan are able to recruit superior athletes and get an edge.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Everyone knows I am not on the Cousin Eddie bandwagon and don;t drink the Kool Aid, but if Cousin Eddie proves me wrong I will say so. but this topic of UF attracting superior athletes relative to lots of schools to me is a bit of a farce. I watch a lot of college football and our players are no more athletic that 12 other schools in the SEC. So why is everyone convinced that Cousin Eddie will get the very BEST players? He may but I doubt it. Dumbo got as many GREAT raw players as anyone and would you say they were unbeatable every year? NO. Everyone has a lot of great players. Talent development is way way way more important now than just getting a superior athlete. We have a lot of good athletes, however they are horrible football players (for several reasons). All the yayhoos who are calling the shows saying how Cousin Eddie is going to have a plethora of talent at his disposal relative to Cowtown to me is just false. did you see MSU this year? They had way better athletic talent than we had, yet within 4 or less hours drive from this place sits enough players who will play at the next level to have a complete team. We have had a lot of very very very good players come to UF in the 2000's, but most of them can be found on every SEC roster. Percy Harvins, Tim Tebow, Leonard Fournette . etc. don't grow on trees. All the hundreds of other guys do and everyone has them. What you do with them is where the money is made!!!!!

How about you stop calling him cousin Eddie. He is not your cousin and his name is not Eddie. Now if this is some kind of compliment please explain it, it seems like massive disrespect to me.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Chief, I don;t mean any disrespect to anyone, but Mullen has been known as Cousin Eddie in the world of Gator athletics on the chat boards since his beginnings here years ago. He is (almost) the spitting image of the Randy Quaid character (Cousin Eddie) in the original Vacation movie. Many of us refer to him as Cousin Eddie, just as we refre to lots of coaches by code names. It is all in good fun. Just like when people call me names, etc. I take no offense to it. "Lighten up, Francis" (Sgt. Hulka from Stripes). BTW for reference, Law's avatar or Swamp Donkey, or Swamp Mule or whatever his name is today is a photo of Cousin Eddie!!!!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
How about you stop calling him cousin Eddie. He is not your cousin and his name is not Eddie. Now if this is some kind of compliment please explain it, it seems like massive disrespect to me.

More disrespect than calling UF a lateral move from Miss State? This is what happens when you hire a head coach who along with his wife has taken shots at your school and your fan base. That coach must win over the fan base or a significant part of the fan base. That is on Mullen.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
There is a big difference in impact between talent levels. The guys that make the really big difference for a program are the ELITE players, aka Herschel Walker, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton and others of that top level stature. Those guys are rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator