How many wins do superior athletes add?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How about you stop calling him cousin Eddie. He is not your cousin and his name is not Eddie. Now if this is some kind of compliment please explain it, it seems like massive disrespect to me.
He's ok with Cousin Eddie moniker. Besides, we just gave him 7 million dinero.
B5Vsey3CYAAwQxi.jpg

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Chief, I don;t mean any disrespect to anyone, but Mullen has been known as Cousin Eddie in the world of Gator athletics on the chat boards since his beginnings here years ago. He is (almost) the spitting image of the Randy Quaid character (Cousin Eddie) in the original Vacation movie. Many of us refer to him as Cousin Eddie, just as we refre to lots of coaches by code names. It is all in good fun. Just like when people call me names, etc. I take no offense to it. "Lighten up, Francis" (Sgt. Hulka from Stripes). BTW for reference, Law's avatar or Swamp Donkey, or Swamp Mule or whatever his name is today is a photo of Cousin Eddie!!!!

Thanks for the explanation, I always assumed (incorrectly) that it was something that was negative. I don't do movies other than SF ones.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Careful. Vulcan is gonna put you on ignore

More like Chief puts you on ignore for being ignorant, and arrogant. You are a decent poster so perhaps I will ignore your disrespect and arrogance, but maybe not. It really makes no difference to me or to you.

ncargat1

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member

I can at least hold out hope that we get a better quarterbacks than those two, if not actually better athletes. I do not see that happening, but we can hope....at least for a little while.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't want to try and give an exact number, but I believe you'll have a better opportunity to not only win the ones you are supposed to, but maybe win a couple you aren't. Player development, as @FireFoley mentioned, is a key part of the puzzle. I can't help but believe greater attention will be given in this regard. Along these lines, I think that we saw what the outcome was when we had a roster with quite a few lower rated players and some who arguably should not be playing in the SEC who appeared to also not have been developed to the point of being consistently functional or effective.

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016
I agree with the comments regarding depth and ability to rotate players and it being more important to develop talent once you’ve got it. I think I was mostly wondering what are realistic expectations with Mullen at the helm here. I’d like to believe we can get back to being a 10 win team, I’m just trying to convince myself it’s possible.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All the SEC teams have superior athletes, and (a) the number of them, and (b) coaching them, are the big differences between success and failure. But the truly unique athletes, Percy, Herschel, Wilber, Tim, Bo, etc., the other-worldly, man-among-boys-even-in-the-SEC athletes, they don't come around very often, and they give teams the chance to win championships, even when they aren't better in (a) and (b).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It depends who would have played if they didn't and the overall talent of the team. Our 08 team could have possibly had just 1 loss pre-BCSCG if the ball fell our way with a decent functional QB but I doubt we would have beaten Oklahoma without Tebow and Harvin.

That Auburn Championship team probably loses 3 or 4 games with a decent QB not named Cam Newton because they had holes in other places. The same with FSU and Winston.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator