Hurricane Idalia

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I am still running my generator. I started it at 7am on wed. It is costing me about 80 bucks a day in gas.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I am still running my generator. I started it at 7am on wed. It is costing me about 80 bucks a day in gas.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get pwr restored soon.
I'm looking to buy a dual-fuel that can run on LP.
This topic could be its own thread, discussing pros and cons of the different types.
(actually, I think there is one already in the Lounge)

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
There are thousands of feet of power lines laying on the ground and several smaller poles snapped it two. I dont expect power anytime soon.

Schwifty

Sep 4, 2016
My parents have a getaway in Horseshoe Beach, dock washed away, lower storage rooms wrecked to hell, that whole town got seriously F’d. Heading up there this weekend.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get pwr restored soon.
I'm looking to buy a dual-fuel that can run on LP.
This topic could be its own thread, discussing pros and cons of the different types.
(actually, I think there is one already in the Lounge)

I have one and love it. Only used gas in it once to make sure that worked. The LP option is great; cheaper than gas.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
My parents have a getaway in Horseshoe Beach, dock washed away, lower storage rooms wrecked to hell, that whole town got seriously F’d. Heading up there this weekend.

I just got back from Horseshoe. My son lives in his trailer out there. He took it back yesterday. It looks like a war zone. FEMA, Red cross and others are on site. CLeanup has started. Water is back on. No power yet on the island that I saw.

Detroitgator

Top-notch Сasual Dating - Real Women
Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There are thousands of feet of power lines laying on the ground and several smaller poles snapped it two. I dont expect power anytime soon.
You'd be surprised at how fast they get stuff back up even in horrific conditions. It is crazy how organized and ready they are for this stuff now.

Ivan was 19 years ago, and I mean EVERY road was blocked by trees and poles were down everywhere. Even back then, they were completely staged/ready for this. The first thing that came through were crews to deal with trees on the roads to get roads open. If a tree was blocking two lanes, they would only clear half just to get a lane open even if vehicles then had to weave down the road. They worried about clearing the rest of the road later. Then crews came through to put up temporary pole schit with crews running lines right behind them. They strung lines on literally anything just to get power going again, then crews came after that to fix things properly. It was pretty crazy to watch, and the response has only gotten better over the last 20 years.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I have multiple fam members with 2nd properties in The Hatch and I live in Valdosta. The eye landed just north of the Hatch as a cat-4 and went over Valdosta still as a cat-1...this is a 1st for Valdosta.
Our roads and infrastructure were not ready for this. About 70% of our entire county lost pwr from all the downed trees laying across lines and severe flooding occurred.
Me personally, we are fortunate. Thank God. While we had many trees either pop out of the ground or snap midway up, we have no damage to any structure. However, we have many neighbors that are less fortunate. We were also lucky to only be out of pwr for 25 hrs AND I had a small gennie to run the most important items. But so many others are STILL without pwr.
The worst part of this, for me, was that our pwr came back on with enough time for me to get a shower, make a drink, and settle in for that schitt show of a game last night.
You write this long post, and for some reason shorten the word “power” to “pwr”. No other word, just that one. For the love of God, why? Were those two extra letters just too much?

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Rode out Idalia at Cape San Blas with gritted teeth, but we were just out of harm's way to the west, caught a major break. Coming back to Hudson yesterday the scene at Perry was rough - power lines down for miles due to busted huge trees on them, Perry without power in the middle of Friday whole fleets of electric repair trucks with cranes and augers on both sides of 98 and 19. Old houses and shops smashed to pieces. But the Florida fighters are in place and doing their thing as always. Prayers and best wishes for all that got whacked by this thing; it may not be the last one this year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I just got power! Yee ha!
Old School Reaction GIF

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Rode out Idalia at Cape San Blas with gritted teeth, but we were just out of harm's way to the west, caught a major break. Coming back to Hudson yesterday the scene at Perry was rough - power lines down for miles due to busted huge trees on them, Perry without power in the middle of Friday whole fleets of electric repair trucks with cranes and augers on both sides of 98 and 19. Old houses and shops smashed to pieces. But the Florida fighters are in place and doing their thing as always. Prayers and best wishes for all that got whacked by this thing; it may not be the last one this year.
Glad you were lucky as you were. Hate it for those who got hit hard....been there, done that too many times to count. But I have a question about your post. Trivial, but the curiosity is gnawing at me a little.

"Electric repair trucks"....as in EV's? Non-gas burning vehicles? Or regular gas burning power company trucks?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I drove up 75 this afternoon on my way to Valdosta to help my mom out here.
Loads and loads of trees down along the way, and I know it's not even the worst of it.

We're going to drive around Valdosta tomorrow to see some of the damage. Pretty bad in some areas here.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I drove up 75 this afternoon on my way to Valdosta to help my mom out here.
Loads and loads of trees down along the way, and I know it's not even the worst of it.

We're going to drive around Valdosta tomorrow to see some of the damage. Pretty bad in some areas here.
While driving in Dosta, remember...
Everybody knows what to do when the intersection lights are blinking. Treat it like a stop sign.
Well, you do the same thing to a powerless signal intersection.
Also, remember that the vehicle to your right has the rightaway.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
While driving in Dosta, remember...
Everybody knows what to do when the intersection lights are blinking. Treat it like a stop sign.
Well, you do the same thing to a powerless signal intersection.
Also, remember that the vehicle to your right has the rightaway.
Thanks for the driving lesson?
:lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm going to Perry, FL next week to be the safety officer for the 7 counties we're cleaning up - the boss told me, "We've already had 4 significant safety incidents." lol My football season is essentially over with though, I'll be working 7 days/week 12+ hr days (that "hr" was for Ox). @CGgater is working this as well, hopefully I'll cross paths with him somewhere in one of the counties - just for fun I'll gig him with a safety violation!

Also - anyone familiar with Perry? I've driven through multiple times going to Tallahassee, but have never stayed there.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I'm going to Perry, FL next week to be the safety officer for the 7 counties we're cleaning up - the boss told me, "We've already had 4 significant safety incidents." lol My football season is essentially over with though, I'll be working 7 days/week 12+ hr days (that "hr" was for Ox). @CGgater is working this as well, hopefully I'll cross paths with him somewhere in one of the counties - just for fun I'll gig him with a safety violation!

Also - anyone familiar with Perry? I've driven through multiple times going to Tallahassee, but have never stayed there.
Quiet small town. At least it was when I paid my last visit there 19 years ago.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
@CGgater is working this as well, hopefully I'll cross paths with him somewhere in one of the counties - just for fun I'll gig him with a safety violation!

I’d expect nothing less from a LCDR.

As for Perry, 2 days wasn’t enough to get real familiar with the area. Didn’t look like there’s a whole bunch of options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.