Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Future UCF out of conference opponents:

2018: FAU, Pitt, at UNC
2019: Stanford, at Pitt, at FAU
2020: UNC, at GT
2023: at Texas

They'll drop back to reality with Frost gone. While speaking of Florida schools, remember that Kiffin and FAU travel to Boomer Sooner in their opener in September.....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
P5 + BAMA was my thinking... They still would get in over UCF
47th ranked schedule doesn't cut it.

My God. I was responding to a post that jokingly said there should be a rule that a non P5 team can only get in as a wild card if they’re undefeated. I then made a joke regarding Alabama championships being at risk over that rule.

Nobody has actually said that UCF should get in over Bama.

Geez Louise.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
No they wouldn’t. UCF would have gotten in. Hence the point of that post. :crazy:
Well technically they would have, because when it expands it's going to 8 teams, not 6 or any other oddball number. 5 conf champs, highest ranked group of 5, 2 at large.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
My God. I was responding to a post that jokingly said there should be a rule that a non P5 team can only get in as a wild card if they’re undefeated. I then made a joke regarding Alabama championships being at risk over that rule.

Nobody has actually said that UCF should get in over Bama.

Geez Louise.
sorry, I missed that...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
That's rubbish. The playoff should be the 4 best teams...period. It's a joke otherwise. The conference championship argument is for weak dick conferences to get a back-door invitation to the playoffs without being one of the 4 best teams.
Conference championships are a way for good conferences to separate the wheat from the chaff, but are largely irrelevant for down conferences. As it should be.
That wont change if the format should change to an eight team playoff. 8 best teams only need apply.

Wow I can not believe how some people do not understand their own self interest.

Some day SoCar will win the SEC in football. I doubt it is under Muschamp, but some day that will happen. Of course SoCar is unlikely to have been the pre-season favorite to win the SEC and will probably be a surprise winner. Then the "BEST" four teams that year will be a group like Ohio State, SoCal, Oklahoma and Notre Dame or Washington, Michigan, Ohio State and Texas some of which will not have even won their division.

I assume you will be here cheering on the 4 "BEST" teams in the playoff and SEC surprise champs non-traditional power SoCar being left out? Congratulations in pulling against your own program.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
UCF would have been smoked by Auburn had it been a regular season game. The Barn was disinterested.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I assume you will be here cheering on the 4 "BEST" teams in the playoff and SEC surprise champs non-traditional power SoCar being left out? Congratulations in pulling against your own program.
You assume that all of us are fvktards that want 8 teams playing for a championship (including 5 or 6 jokes which have no claim). No I don't want some shytty for loss team playing for an NC and I don't want some loser azz team that cant even win their division playing for it either.

I'd give the committee some leeway in deciding what number of teams make the playoff, ie if 3 have a claim, like this year, then it's 2 vs 3 with 1 having a bye. Some years 4. I'd have no two loss teams and no teams that aren't conference champions. And I'd give undefeated G5 teams a chance vs #1.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'd like to see a 6 team playoff... all power 5 conference champs and a wild card... if a team like UCF goes undefeated they get in

So UCF would have gotten in this year as a wildcard over Alabama? Therein lies the flaw with your plan.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So UCF would have gotten in this year as a wildcard over Alabama? Therein lies the flaw with your plan.
What's the flaw? That Alabama gets left out? There is no plan that isn't flawed unless you get conference champions only. Remove the subjectivity of it all which is what causes the controversy. You don't see controversy like this in any other sport... just college athletics

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
That's rubbish. The playoff should be the 4 best teams...period. It's a joke otherwise. The conference championship argument is for weak dick conferences to get a back-door invitation to the playoffs without being one of the 4 best teams.
Conference championships are a way for good conferences to separate the wheat from the chaff, but are largely irrelevant for down conferences. As it should be.
That wont change if the format should change to an eight team playoff. 8 best teams only need apply.

Goes back to what I posted in another thread. Get rid of the conference championship games. Have each team play every team in their respective conference. Then you would have a true conference champion. Now expand to an eight (hell, twelve) team playoff. Conference champs get in with a bye.

Conference championship games are getting pointless and will get more so with an expanding national champ playoff.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Alabama lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Auburn lost in the second.

Tough shyt.

You’re missing the point. I’ve stated on multiple occasions that 1) I don’t like the playoffs at all (should be #1 vs. #2 for all the marbles) and going to six or 8 teams does nothing to solve the issues and 2) that neither Bama nor OSU deserved to be the 4th team this year because of their regular season stumbles and because of #1 above. With all that being said, if you’re going to choose a wild card team this year, does anybody in their right mind really think UCF should get the nod over Bama? That’s a joke, an even bigger joke than the clusterfcvk system we have in place. For that matter, using the conference champions only plus 1in a 6 team format is a joke, too. Just look at some of the shytty conference champs that have come out of the Big 10 and Pac 12 in recents years. USC possibly playing for this year’s title under that format...I think not.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
What's the flaw? That Alabama gets left out? There is no plan that isn't flawed unless you get conference champions only. Remove the subjectivity of it all which is what causes the controversy. You don't see controversy like this in any other sport... just college athletics

The flaw is you have a team from a weak conference, playing a weak regular season schedule getting a shot over stronger teams that are disadvantaged by playing tougher competition week in and week out. You’re not removing be any subjectivity because you’re still picking a wild card team...in this case, you’re advocating that UCF be the wild card because they’re undefeated from a mid major conference. The only way to completely remove the subjectivity is to go to an NFL style format, and who the hell wants that? Go back to #1 vs. #2 for all the marbles. Yes, there is still subjectivity, but I think it’s a lot easier to identify the top 2 worthy teams than the top 4 worthy teams. It’s not going to happen but it seemed to work well.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Schedule better Power 5 teams DURING THE REGULAR SEASON AND BEAT THEM...then we will talk about a spot in the playoff

FIFY

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I think it’s a lot easier to identify the top 2 worthy teams than the top 4 worthy teams.

I agree the more teams in the playoffs the greater the controversy around bubble teams. However, if the main concern is making sure the best team actually gets into the playoff (remember undefeated Auburn did not make the playoff in 2004) then a four-team playoff is more likely to work.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I agree the more teams in the playoffs the greater the controversy around bubble teams. However, if the main concern is making sure the best team actually gets into the playoff (remember undefeated Auburn did not make the playoff in 2004) then a four-team playoff is more likely to work.

There are always exceptions, I’ve never claimed otherwise, but from the year 2000 until the start of the playoffs a few years ago, how many times did #1 vs. #2 not work? Once or twice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.