Impact of player losses/departures

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
If he was still here Grier would be eligible to play next week. But Butters decided we didn't need him because he had Del Rio.

Thanks coach! :eek3:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SOS and Meyer neither had the sh8t storm that Mac or even Muschamp had to try to fix.
Both inherited problems areas, not nearly as bad of course, but both immediately set out to fix the program and had the major potholes filled with their second recruiting class.

Chimp and Old Yeller made it worse each year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
SOS and Meyer neither had the sh8t storm that Mac or even Muschamp had to try to fix. They were better coaches by far though. There is no excuse for Muschamp, he took a bad situation and made it worse.

As for Mac, he is not a very seasoned HC, but I think he has a fairly high ceiling. Will he be SOS or Meyer? I kind of doubt it, but maybe he could get close. He has made some missteps. He was a cycle late on LB's, which we may get lucky that Johnson, Reese, and Moon can step up next year. The appear to be making strides, but we need 2 more that are dependable. We fell behind in DT recruiting, and that is getting fixed this cycle, but development can't be made up. The OL started great but only 3 last year and it's flimsy this cycle. He still has to address his assistants. Nord is not cutting it, Summers isn't much better, and neither coordinator is killing it by any means.

I'm not ready to throw Nuss away yet. He has a subpar OL, QB position is better but still shakey, and a young receiving corp. If next year isn't substantionally better, Mac could fire him at any point and take over play calling. As for Collins, I'd be happy for him to be gone. Even if that just means promoting Shannon (who was a good D coordinator at UM) and hiring a good young assistant who can recruit.

One thing is for certain, Mac needs to step up his game, but he has already exceeded expectations. We won the East and are in play to do it again.

Exceeded expectations? The East was terrible last season and this season compared to the West. It wasn't him doing anything special. Heck the East is like 2-19 against the West since 2015 so far.

Thank about that for a second the East is such a joke right now its 2-19 against the West the past 2 seasons and has lost the last 9 matchups.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Exceeded expectations? The East was terrible last season and this season compared to the West. It wasn't him doing anything special. Heck the East is like 2-19 against the West since 2015 so far.

Thank about that for a second the East is such a joke right now its 2-19 against the West the past 2 seasons and has lost the last 9 matchups.

Last year people expected us to be 3rd in the East at best, and we won. So yeah, he exceeded expectations. You measure expectations from the beginning of the year not hindsight 20/20. But hey you're the expert I guess.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Last year people expected us to be 3rd in the East at best, and we won. So yeah, he exceeded expectations. You measure expectations from the beginning of the year not hindsight 20/20. But hey you're the expert I guess.

Disagree - I will say he met expectations record wise at 10-4 just looking at the record only but with how bad we looked against the good teams at the end made it not feel that way at all and didn't project good for the future. It was kind of like 2012 but without as many big wins. You just know it looked worse than the final record.

Never said I was an expert I just said the East was trash last season and winning it didn't mean a whole lot about the direction of the program.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

If anyone wants to know what "sunshine pumper" is....read this.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree - I will say he met expectations record wise at 10-4 just looking at the record only but with how bad we looked against the good teams at the end made it not feel that way at all and didn't project good for the future. It was kind of like 2012 but without as many big wins. You just know it looked worse than the final record.

Never said I was an expert I just said the East was trash last season and winning it didn't mean a whole lot about the direction of the program.
Not going to look up the prediction thread, but I doubt that many said we would win 10, especially with Treon playing half the games.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Whether he's a pumper or not, some of you guys are horrrific at debating. The East didn't just magically become a joke overnight. It has been a joke for much of half a decade. So even with that being the case, most STILL expected us to be scrapping for .500. So yes, Mac did in fact exceed expectations by sweeping it and going 1-1 against Lsu and OM. Yes it was ugly. But I was here in July 2015 and I can tell you 90% of this board would've taken a win over ut, uga and getting back to Atlanta with a 10-2 regular season record.

As I said, if you want to debate the direction of things, recruiting, etc., that's fine. I'll even join. But that doesn't mean the guy hasn't done some things well up to this point. Dismissing that really diminishes your argument.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014

There was no magical formula for play calling that could have made last years offense any better.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The problem with my hindsight expectations is the way my Gators finished the last 3 games.
My unacceptance is the knowledge that all the Gator teams that have captured my past
"proud-of"sense, any of those Gator teams would put this 2015 team to shame.
Crying Gators or lying Gators, that's the choice Mac left us.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The East has been terrible for about a decade. But outside of our 08 and USCe mini resurgence, what about the East has been great compared to what is going on in the West? The West is better, completely top to bottom better than the East right now and has been for about a decade.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think the worst team in the west would probably be the a contender for the east championship.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There was no magical formula for play calling that could have made last years offense any better.
Exactly. The magical formula would have been recruiting a dozen OL 3 and 4 years ago.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Imo, when people bring up spurrier and meyer and how they seem luckier or things went their way, part of it is probably due to the fact that the cards they were handed were probably better to start off with than Mac's was, but also their coaching styles/ plan led them to winning early in their tenures here. Mac hasn't done terribly, but has definitely not seen the immediate success like the other two in my opinion because his plan is to truly mold UF into a sustained powerhouse for many years and it will take a few years to do so. For instance, last year Mac didn't try to change much on offense to adapt to treon, he said whatever and was more focused on implementing his playbook throughout the team, so that they would understand his style and gain continuity for this year. To me, it doesn't seem like mac wants to adapt much, but simply wants a certain type of player to play a specific role. Its a more rigid system, which means it will take a little longer for the true success to come for Mac.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics