In-Depth Article on OL Disaster 2010-2021

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
This article from Bill Sikes details the failure to recruit quality and quantity OL since 2010. Its a very thorough illustration of flaws for that position group in our program which I bet would have parallels in other position groups (S & LB for example) if the analysis were done.

And he sketches out the radical changes afoot under Napier to effect real change. No assurance of success of course, but the effort is underway.

Blocking Progress: Why Billy Napier faces a 12-year offensive line problem at UF - Read and Reaction

Bottom line: We failed to recruit an adequate number of OL year after year and we recruited far too few that were top-10 at their positions. And Hevesy made a bad situation worse. He was recruit-repellant. Good to see it laid out in detail.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just more detail of what anyone with eyes could see....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yep. I was going to post it but it was all fairly obvious. Accurate but obvious. We've been discussing Oline recruiting since Chump.
If you'd rather listen to Will read it:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Yes - and that detail sketches out why you cannot rely on 3* and especially not if you don’t bring in a herd of them.

And at the end - if you didn’t see it skip down to it - he details what Billy is doing to shore it up a bit immediately and set us up for much better recruiting. We need to see “done” rather that “gonna” but I like the approach underway.

In general, I like to see them recruit a team each year. A QB, a RB, 5 OL, a TE etc. across all 22 positions.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This article from Bill Sikes details the failure to recruit quality and quantity OL since 2010. Its a very thorough illustration of flaws for that position group in our program which I bet would have parallels in other position groups (S & LB for example) if the analysis were done.

And he sketches out the radical changes afoot under Napier to effect real change. No assurance of success of course, but the effort is underway.

Blocking Progress: Why Billy Napier faces a 12-year offensive line problem at UF - Read and Reaction

Bottom line: We failed to recruit an adequate number of OL year after year and we recruited far too few that were top-10 at their positions. And Hevesy made a bad situation worse. He was recruit-repellant. Good to see it laid out in detail.

thanks for sharing. The crux of our offense’s problems was pointed out early in the article:

the cumulative impact of Hevesy’s terrible recruiting had become obvious by this fall. The coach signed only 1 top-100 OL signee since 2018 (Georgia had 10 during the same timeframe) and none of his recruits had become conference-elite players.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the more useful charts would be the number on the roster by year, the OL roster's average ranking by year, and then maybe the OL roster's average experience by year.

I also think we hit bottom for the OL right after chimp. When you have only 6 healthy guys and can't even scrimmage, that's worse than where we were last year. We haven't climbed much at all from that bottom, but it isn't worse than that now.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
It seems to me that ALL coaching had become lazy and indifferent. Oline, Dline, WR, LB, secondary, ST. There were some exceptional individual player efforts, no doubt, but as a team, they reflected the personality of the coaching staff. Not sustaining blocks, missing assignments, DL not getting off blocks, very late recognition of where ball was, blown coverages, lazy route running and so forth. The laziness extended to recruiting, starting with Mullen they all were more or less going through the motions.
First and foremost:
upload_2022-2-8_9-4-56.png
During pregame warmups FL / Ga last year, Gators were shuckin n jivin, sloppy warm up shorts & tees, doing some tribal hip-hop crap to loosen up...while on the opposite side, Ga players full game unis, all precision. I hated to see it and FL players played as sloppy as they had warmed up. Screw the Bastard Mullen, he did great damage while trying to get fired and collect the moolah.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
What I don't understand--and never will--is how three seperate coaches (two from the Saban tree no less, one a Meyer disciple) so thoroughly ignored the Offensive Line. Muschump might not have had much use for flashy offense...but to implement his "plan" of winning with a dominant defense and a ball-control, TOP-focused offense...you need a dominant OL. And he barely showed any interest in it. Butters came in to having 6 healthy OL in his first spring...and right off the bat could see where a glaring problem was...yet, barely did anything different.

Mullen wanted a run-focused option offense...and fuchin hired Hevesy.
:what:

It just doesn't make sense.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the more useful charts would be the number on the roster by year, the OL roster's average ranking by year, and then maybe the OL roster's average experience by year.

I also think we hit bottom for the OL right after chimp. When you have only 6 healthy guys and can't even scrimmage, that's worse than where we were last year. We haven't climbed much at all from that bottom, but it isn't worse than that now.

Agreed

That’s when Butters was forced to play Mason Halter at right tackle, a grad transfer from Fordham I believe it was. Halter did not disappoint. He was every bit as bad as one would have imagined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator