Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At my grandmas funeral, the funeral home director decided that “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head” was appropriate on a clear day in early May.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’d like “We Are The Boys” played at my funeral.

Is that appropriate or inappropriate?

Alex.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I’d like “We Are The Boys” played at my funeral.

Is that appropriate or inappropriate?

Alex.
According to Mrs G., very appropriate. "We are the Boys" was the first song she taught our kids. How often did she have them sing it? So often that F-L-O-R-I-D-A was one of first words, if not the actual first, that they knew how to spell.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Misogynist old fart. Probably racist and patriarchal too. Surprised they haven't banned the song or changed the words to we are folks from old Florida, where the disenfranchised are the fairest and the men are all pigs of any ole state down our way. But, still, very appropriate. Have the crowd sing the Alma Mater too.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Misogynist old fart. Probably racist and patriarchal too. Surprised they haven't banned the song or changed the words to we are folks from old Florida, where the disenfranchised are the fairest and the men are all pigs of any ole state down our way. But, still, very appropriate. Have the crowd sing the Alma Mater too.

Speaking of which...when were "daughters" added to the alma mater?

UF was a boy's school for a long time. Was the alma mater written after UF went co-ed or was the line "all thy loyal sons and daughters a joyous song shall raise" edited after the fact???

Alex.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

My Old Kentucky Home​

"My Old Kentucky Home," originally titled "Poor Uncle Tom, Good Night!," is the state song of Kentucky.

Original Lyrics (composed by Foster):

Verse 1:
The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,
‘Tis summer, the darkies are gay;

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

My Old Kentucky Home​

"My Old Kentucky Home," originally titled "Poor Uncle Tom, Good Night!," is the state song of Kentucky.

Original Lyrics (composed by Foster):

Verse 1:
The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,
‘Tis summer, the darkies are gay;

State Song of Florida (original lyrics)

Way down upon de Swanee Ribber,
Far, far away,
Dere's wha my heart is turning ebber,
Dere's wha de old folks stay.

All up and down de whole creation
Sadly I roam,
Still longing for de old plantation,
And for de old folks at home.

Chorus
All de world am sad and dreary,
Eb-rywhere I roam;
Oh, darkeys, how my heart grows weary,
Far from de old folks at home!

2nd verse
All round de little farm I wandered
When I was young,
Den many happy days I squandered,
Many de songs I sung.
When I was playing wid my brudder
Happy was I;
Oh, take me to my kind old mudder!
Dere let me live and die.

3rd Verse
One little hut among de bushes,
One dat I love
Still sadly to my memory rushes,
No matter where I rove.
When will I see de bees a-humming
All round de comb?
When will I hear de banjo strumming,
Down in my good old home?

Alex.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Is the State Song of Florida still Suwanee River? "Way down upon the Swanee Riber, far, far way. Dats where my heart am turnin' eber, down where the old folks stay... All the world am sad and dreary, eberwhere I roam. Oh, darkie, how my heart grows weary, far from the old folks at home." We used to sing this at football games right after standing for Dixie.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Is the State Song of Florida still Suwanee River? "Way down upon the Swanee Riber, far, far way. Dats where my heart am turnin' eber, down where the old folks stay... All the world am sad and dreary, eberwhere I roam. Oh, darkie, how my heart grows weary, far from the old folks at home." We used to sing this at football games right after standing for Dixie.
It is still the State song but in standard English and with a few changes (no darkies or longing for the plantation).

However, they added a second song which is the official State Anthem. Presumably a little less racist than the old one. So now we've got two songs. Not sure what the state anthem is.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.