Insurance to cover 1.8 million in lost ticket revenue for cancelled Idaho game

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2014/09/15/340449.htm

The University of Florida’s Athletic Department is scheduled to collect $1.8 million under a Lloyd’s of London insurance policy that covers the loss of ticket revenue in the event a home game is cancelled.

The University of Florida Gators were scheduled to play the University of Idaho Vandals on August 30 in what was to be the Gators season home owner in Gainesville.

Heavy rains and lightning initially pushed back the starting time from 7:00 p.m. to around 10:00 p.m. when Idaho finally was able to kick off to the Gators. However, before another play could be called, lightning once again forced a suspension in play. UF and Idaho officials eventually agreed to cancel the game.

Although both universities could have potentially played the game during a bye-week on October 25, officials from both schools decided not to.

Idaho officials said it could not reschedule due to the logistics of having to travel and because doing so would force their football team to play nine games in a row. Florida officials said that playing October 25 created a conflict with exam week, which they would not do.

UF Athletic Director Jeremy Foley told reporters that the university has had an insurance policy in place for decades to cover loss ticket revenue in situations like the one with Idaho.

Foley said that before each home game the university provides the insurer with an estimate of any potential losses.

For the Idaho game, UF had collected $1.8 million in ticket sales including from the some 40,000 fans that actually attended the game. The university is currently refunding those and other ticket holders.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We had a lot more tickets sold than that Fever, Also at the kick off the announcers were saying that people were still coming back into the stadium. They pay off the number of tickets sold.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, I'm sure this means everyone can expect a check for their travel expenses & hotel charges....... :lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And I received my refund. Actually... I just rolled it directly into the Kentucky game tickets.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What about season ticket holders that didn't make them game. They don't get a refund?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm surprised they didn't refuse to pay and use the "you could have rescheduled for later in the year" excuse.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n51627 said:
I'm surprised they didn't refuse to pay and use the "you could have rescheduled for later in the year" excuse.

Me too but it was Lloyds so it doesn't surprise me too much.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n51637 said:
Me too but it was Lloyds so it doesn't surprise me too much.

You must know something about them that sets them apart from other insurance companies. In my experience, insurance companies will go out of their way to find an excuse to not pay.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n51647 said:
You must know something about them that sets them apart from other insurance companies. In my experience, insurance companies will go out of their way to find an excuse to not pay.

It just seems they don't fight over stuff as bad as some others do in situations like this.

Gator_Chompz

Founding Member
Marine 4 Life
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah the email I received from the ticket office said I would receive $25 per ticket refund to my credit card I use for my season tickets. So yeah $50 bucks sucks a$$. Barely covers my gas and also makes me believe they are making money on us.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lloyd's will fight just like the rest Fever, just because they've been around a long time doesn't change the fact that they're an insurance company. As a matter of fact they're around BECAUSE they don't just pay out for no reason, when Gainesville has over 1100 lightning strikes and the rain storm is on national tv NO insurance company would argue to much.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator_Chompz;n51790 said:
Yeah the email I received from the ticket office said I would receive $25 per ticket refund to my credit card I use for my season tickets. So yeah $50 bucks sucks a$$. Barely covers my gas and also makes me believe they are making money on us.
That's the face value of the ticket. How do you expect them to figure out what each individual spent that weekend and refund them? I mean, sure it would be nice...but come on, that's freaking impossible!

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n51842 said:
That's the face value of the ticket. How do you expect them to figure out what each individual spent that weekend and refund them? I mean, sure it would be nice...but come on, that's freaking impossible!
I love this place :lmao:

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Is there a policy in place to pay the remaining contract of an unnamed UAA employee, should his services be deemed unnecessary? If so, please tell me the premiums have been paid.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n51874 said:
If they showed up to work, they got paid.

Is everyone smoking dumb crack today?

Nope, no dumb crack here. I was referring, in general terms, to the possibility that the UAA might have a similar policy to protect it against a large payout of a contract that might have to go unfulfilled.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n51865 said:
Is there a policy in place to pay the remaining contract of an unnamed UAA employee, should his services be deemed unnecessary? If so, please tell me the premiums have been paid.
I certainly hope so.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n51647 said:

They are different, but then again their prices are also a little more of a premium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator