Interesting Fact

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Bear Bryant coaching football at Union University (1935)

This school is in Jackson Tn and no football today. I found it interesting and something that I would not have believed possible.

Bloviate!!!

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n138933 said:
Did you have to yell the fact to us?

No it was a cut and paste and was not all caps. Sorry if you were effected in some way.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n138941 said:
No it was a cut and paste and was not all caps. Sorry if you were effected in some way.

I am messing with you Vulcan. It is all good.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n138942 said:
I am messing with you Vulcan. It is all good.

No problem, you noticed that I was sorry. I usually am when something might have offended or in any way effected negatively people. Now one I don't worry about and it is not you. Thanks for clarifying.

Did you find it unusual that he coached at a school that has no football today and not within my living here over 30 years?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My cousin is part of their administration and he brings this fact up every now and then. I still find it hard to beleive.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Lambuth University is also in Jackson, Tennessee. Hugh Freeze was the head coach at Lambuth for a couple of years, and Lambuth also no longer plays football. Lambuth was a small private liberal arts college affiliated with the Methodist Church which closed due to financial difficulties. The school was rehabilitated by the University of Memphis and is now known as the University of Memphis--Lambuth Campus.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My dad played for Bryant when he was an assistant coach for the North Carolina pre-flight Cloudbusters during WWII while in flight school in the navy. Said he was a real a$$hole.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Well, at least Alabama is consistent.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
divits;n139260 said:
My dad played for Bryant when he was an assistant coach for the North Carolina pre-flight Cloudbusters during WWII while in flight school in the navy. Said he was a real a$$hole.

Interesting. Bryant served in the navy during WW II and after being discharged coached some of the navy football teams. I knew a lady whose ex-husband played for Bryant at Kentucky and she said her husband said the same thing about Bryant as your dad. You knew Bryant had to be a great coach because he won an SEC Championship at Kentucky and dfeated the number one ranked Oklahoma Sooners that year in the Sugar Bowl.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n138948 said:
Did you find it unusual that he coached at a school that has no football today and not within my living here over 30 years?

Yeah, that is pretty unusual.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Funny thing about bear Bryant, he looks good in a cam Newton Jersey

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Okeechobee Joe;n139255 said:
Lambuth University is also in Jackson, Tennessee. Hugh Freeze was the head coach at Lambuth for a couple of years, and Lambuth also no longer plays football. Lambuth was a small private liberal arts college affiliated with the Methodist Church which closed due to financial difficulties. The school was rehabilitated by the University of Memphis and is now known as the University of Memphis--Lambuth Campus.

Quite true I was here when Freeze was coach and Lambuth was trying to encourage males to attend by having a football team which was very foolish. They had a lot of issues and the local and state government got U of Memphis to open a portion of the campus by the old fashioned way (pay them). This is working out better than I expected but time will tell.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did you know Tampa U. once played football and beat several highly rated teams.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
deuce;n140105 said:

Watched them play in the Tangerine Bowl too many years ago to remember the exact year. I believe John Matuzak played for them then.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Tampa was great back in the day. Lets just say their entrance requirements were not up to UFs or other Div 1 teams. They beat lots of big time teams. They had Matuzack, Leon Maquay Freddie Solomon ( a great QB for them) and many other talented players,,

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n140114 said:
Tampa was great back in the day. Lets just say their entrance requirements were not up to UFs or other Div 1 teams. They beat lots of big time teams. They had Matuzack, Leon Maquay Freddie Solomon ( a great QB for them) and many other talented players,,

Soloman, I believe switched to WR in NFL.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
deuce;n140105 said:
I was born in Tampa and lived my early years down the street from Tampa Stadium. We used to go watch them when the Gators were on the road. I remember Freddie Solomon and John Matuszak. Both guys went high in the draft (Matuszak was a #1 pick I think), and had solid NFL careers. It was fun, but I always couldn't wait to return to Florida Field to see Reaves, Alvarez, Ortega and Nat Moores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator