Interview: Jarvis Moss

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great interview. About an hour long. If you have the time to listen to it, please do. You won’t be disappointed

I didn’t know he was so sick his first 2 years here.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I listened to the Reidel Anthony one as well. Listened to that one last week. That’s a great listen to. I’ll post that one.

The reason these interviews are so good is it’s basically the players talking for about 90% of the time.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Moss had a bacterial infection in his hip that they didn't discover. Dude drop a ton of weight and was half dead. Crazy.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Moss had a bacterial infection in his hip that they didn't discover. Dude drop a ton of weight and was half dead. Crazy.
I remember the story. The zooker thought he was lazy in the weight room, ready to get rid of him, but he was working hard and didn't understand what was wrong. Urbs showed up and had the team docs look him over and they found a staph infection on his pelvis, I think. No idea how it got there, but he healed and started to beef up. We all saw what happened next, and so did troy smith.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I remember the story. The zooker thought he was lazy in the weight room, ready to get rid of him, but he was working hard and didn't understand what was wrong. Urbs showed up and had the team docs look him over and they found a staph infection on his pelvis, I think. No idea how it got there, but he healed and started to beef up. We all saw what happened next, and so did troy smith.

You beat me to it. Probably not as much a knock on Zook as it was one of the good Meyer stories. He listened to this kid who at times would actually cry to his coaches. One foot out the door and Meyer dug a little deeper, leading to a great ending for all.

Also, the infection was from a half time cortisone shot during a HS game. Apparently the needle went in too deep and hit his bone which was why it was so difficult to detect.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
The 97 FSU game was probably the loudest start to finish...but I can't recall a single moment/play that had as loud of an eruption as that one

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The 97 FSU game was probably the loudest start to finish...but I can't recall a single moment/play that had as loud of an eruption as that one

I’ve always said any greatest moment in terms of noise has to be defensive(or STs here) with the game on the line. I was there for ‘97 but not ‘06. The ‘91 fsu last pass and Stewart’s pick-6 of Burrows in 2018 are right there as well. Same setting in all of them.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You beat me to it. Probably not as much a knock on Zook as it was one of the good Meyer stories. He listened to this kid who at times would actually cry to his coaches. One foot out the door and Meyer dug a little deeper, leading to a great ending for all.

Also, the infection was from a half time cortisone shot during a HS game. Apparently the needle went in too deep and hit his bone which was why it was so difficult to detect.
He actually spent the majority of the interview talking about this. Urban Meyer actually ridiculed him and tried to kick him off the team. Charlie Strong is the one who got urban Meyer to look into it.

He had staph in his pelvis. He was on antibiotics for months.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I was in the SEZ locker room putting Gatorade and towels in every locker cause it was late 4th quarter when I saw that dumb polock kick the FG and do the chomp. As I was rolling another cart full of gatorade by the TR office and saw Quez catch the pass and take if down to the 20. I left the gatorade and went back to the sideline to watch the ending.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
He actually spent the majority of the interview talking about this. Urban Meyer actually ridiculed him and tried to kick him off the team. Charlie Strong is the one who got urban Meyer to look into it.

He had staph in his pelvis. He was on antibiotics for months.

I guess nobody was gonna paint urbs in a bad light back in ‘06… Good for Charlie! Moss clearly paid him (and Gator Nation) back for his support!

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I was in the SEZ locker room putting Gatorade and towels in every locker cause it was late 4th quarter when I saw that dumb polock kick the FG and do the chomp. As I was rolling another cart full of gatorade by the TR office and saw Quez catch the pass and take if down to the 20. I left the gatorade and went back to the sideline to watch the ending.
Awesome story man....were you with them for the natty the year before? What did you think of SOS?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Awesome story man....were you with them for the natty the year before? What did you think of SOS?
No I came in right after that. SOS was the man. I used to work the HS camps in the summer for some extra cash. 5 day camp but really 2-21/2 day camps. QB's would show up in the second part of the week and that's when Spur would show up. I remember he would walk up and down the line at the beginning of camp and watch the guys throwing back in forth to one another. This one kid was huge 6'5"-6'6" and when he saw Spur he started chunking it. SOS walked up to him and said "son you ever thought about playing TE?", "no sir been playing QB all my life". "Well, you ought to think about it if you want to play pro ball". I spent most of my time when I was on the practice field with Stoops in the DB group and that dude was intense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.