Is Mullen really 2-15 all time vs ranked teams?

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
When Mullen got hired.. I was definitely in the 'unimpressed' camp. I'm perfectly willing (and hoping) to admit that I'm wrong if proven so.

However. I posted a lot of these stats as reasons why I wasn't thrilled. I was met with 'well, that was MSU.. imagine what he'll do with Florida talent!'.

We. Shall. See.
The problem is he's bringing the MSU level talent here while the Florida talent goes elsewhere

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The against the spread numbers show otherwise than being a spoiler (but not that we’ll be contenders unless we get talent). As a favorite (or more talented/home in most cases) Mullen has the best record ATS in the SEC since 2009 when he went to MSU. It’s by a big margin both percentage wise and average number of points over the spread line (3.6). So he wins big when he should win.

But, as an underdog, Mullen at MSU was only 48% ATS, 8th in the SEC. So he loses about the amount you’d expect ATS and by a bit more points than average.

Their OOC schedule was god awful. He snacked on creampuffs during his time at MSU. 9 years is a lot of data.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Their OOC schedule was god awful. He snacked on creampuffs during his time at MSU. 9 years is a lot of data.

That theory actually doesn’t explain his ATS numbers as a favorite though. Overall ATS vs out of conference games (fav and dog) he is mediocre and middle of the pack in the SEC (I can’t isolate for when he’s a favorite OOC). But, overall as a favorite (SEC and OOC) he is far and away at the top of the SEC. Again, that won’t matter if we don’t recruit more talent, but it does suggest he can exploit advantages when/if he has them.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My expectations are tempered because we've sucked a$$ for a decade basically, the championship culture and swagger has been extinguished by inept adult leadership, both mentally-physically we've shrunk over the years, we have played like 3 schizophrenic personalities instead of a unified team, a comedy of errors drama fest making it easy to recruit against, Motel 6 and YMCA facilities to offer and irrelevant for a decade in terms of kids growing up idolizing Saturdays grid iron heros. I'll be satisfied with Mullen in year one if most of those things show noticeable improvement. Then, I'll be looking for in roads into the Gators suck propaganda on the trial. Just saying.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
That theory actually doesn’t explain his ATS numbers as a favorite though. Overall ATS vs out of conference games (fav and dog) he is mediocre and middle of the pack in the SEC (I can’t isolate for when he’s a favorite OOC). But, overall as a favorite (SEC and OOC) he is far and away at the top of the SEC. Again, that won’t matter if we don’t recruit more talent, but it does suggest he can exploit advantages when/if he has them.
There's no ATS for a coach, only straight up. And unfortunately it looks like Mullen straight up sucks.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Ok fair enough - do you get blasted before you’ve even had a chance to play a game, let alone bring home a trophy?

Not always.

But, if your historical record as a head coach is mediocre, you have a reputation as not a great recruiter, you’ve ran off the best recruiter on the staff (sorry Leo, but only you see this as Seider leaving wholly on his own), and currently are getting your a$$ beat in recruiting by every rival (plus Duke and Wake Forest), then absolutely yes.

Mr.Breeze

Jul 18, 2018
What's your nic at Swamp Gas?

I say that because you said "here"...compared to where?

“Here” means here - this message board, where I’m a newbie. Never said anything about Swamp Gas.

I’ve lurked a while before joining, and got to say y’all apparently have a couple of serious trolls that have set up shop “here”. All this trashing of Dan Mullen while he works to breathe some life into this corpse called Florida football is asinine. And destructive.

Kelly and Frost weren’t coming here. Who was Stricklin supposed to bring on board as our next HBC? Mullen ain’t perfect and neither was Kelly or Frost. From purely a credentials perspective, It can be argued that Mullen was the best candidate of everybody out there. I don’t get the logic of trashing him in front of players, recruits, and their families 2 months before the season kicks off.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
“Here” means here - this message board, where I’m a newbie. Never said anything about Swamp Gas.

I’ve lurked a while before joining, and got to say y’all apparently have a couple of serious trolls that have set up shop “here”. All this trashing of Dan Mullen while he works to breathe some life into this corpse called Florida football is asinine. And destructive.

Kelly and Frost weren’t coming here. Who was Stricklin supposed to bring on board as our next HBC? Mullen ain’t perfect and neither was Kelly or Frost. From purely a credentials perspective, It can be argued that Mullen was the best candidate of everybody out there. I don’t get the logic of trashing him in front of players, recruits, and their families 2 months before the season kicks off.

SkinkGC Hall of Fame

Dan Mullen has a ton of potential and between his 4 years as our OC and 9 at MSU, he has proven to be worthy of the position - especially given that neither Kelly nor Frost was coming to UF. I’m not the slightest bit convinced they’d be better hires than Mullen either. So Coach Mullen deserves our support as he works to get this program off its back. Trashing him at this early point is destructive on more than one level.

Go Gators

Should we call you Skink?

Last edited:

Mr.Breeze

Jul 18, 2018
SkinkGC Hall of Fame

Dan Mullen has a ton of potential and between his 4 years as our OC and 9 at MSU, he has proven to be worthy of the position - especially given that neither Kelly nor Frost was coming to UF. I’m not the slightest bit convinced they’d be better hires than Mullen either. So Coach Mullen deserves our support as he works to get this program off its back. Trashing him at this early point is destructive on more than one level.

Go Gators

Should we call you Skink?

That’s Clinton Tyree in the Carl Hiaasen novels, right?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Breeze, I don't care where you came from. Stay a while and post. If some of these guys are too much, just put them on your ignore list.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
To a certain extent I agree with Breeze. Ripping Mullen at this point is ridiculous. Let's let him coach at least two games before we call for his public execution.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
For example, this is a bullish!t post

Breeze, Mullen was not my choice. I wanted Frost. I never believed Kelly would come here and I was right. I wasn't happy at all when they announced him. Since then, I believe he has done many good things and I am pulling for him to succeed. The problem I see is the recruiting just isn't adding up as of yet and if it doesn't fall into place soon we wont have any real targets left and will be forced to take the scraps....its a little scary even though its still early. I don't think Mullen sucks but I am not convinced we have a championship coach in place either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator