Is the SEC East essentially over?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looking at the schedules of Tennessee and Georgia and the tiebreaking rules I don't see us coming out on top in any 3 way 2 SEC loss scenario. Tennessee would have the edge over us in all of them it appears. If we were lucky and our 2nd loss was @ Arkansas and Tennessee lost to Georgia as one of their 2 losses they would still have the tiebreaker over us because they catch Bama and A&M this year which would have a better combined conference record than our western opponents of a down LSU team and Arkansas.

Since we wont be winning any tiebreaker scenarios against Tenn at 2 SEC losses I just don't see us winning the East right now.

I guess there is the prayer scenario we run the table in our remaining SEC games and Tenn loses 2 SEC games which is a likely possibility but with 4 remaining SEC games which are probably really dangerous looking at us now I don't see that happening even though I won't rule it out totally until we get a 2nd SEC loss.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Who cares? You really want to go up against Bama or A&M with that team we trotted out there last night?

The more Mac loses the sooner we get new blood.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thumbs up on the first and thumbs down on the second.

Like last year, we are not there.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who cares? You really want to go up against Bama or A&M with that team we trotted out there last night?

The more Mac loses the sooner we get new blood.

Well if we somehow miraculously did get our stuff together and stayed at 1 SEC loss it would probably mean we have a little bit of offense going into the game unlike last season. I am starting to think this defense is not nearly as good however.

"The more Mac loses the sooner we get new blood" :lol2:

I may board that train if the recruiting doesn't come through this signing class.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
No, Tennessee will drop at least 2, quite possibly 3, conference games this season. The question is whether we can limit our conference losses to 2 or less. If so, and the other loss is to a team other than UGA, then we've got a shot to win the East.

We also need UGA to beat TN this week.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
UcheaT will lose their next three, which will make yesterday's loss look even worse in perspective.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Yes. Absolutely. In fact, the season in its entirety is over. We should just forfeit all remaining games.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
UcheaT will lose their next three, which will make yesterday's loss look even worse in perspective.
I don't think they'll lose to GA, but I guess it's possible. The only thing we can control is ourselves. Win out and we're still in good shape. Is it likely? No. Is it possible? Sure it is.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As fans, we've got to do a better job of doing a better job and fix the things that we can fix...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I read your whole post but I could get past that part. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:. I know its possible that Umass could win out and grab the NC also, you know, in theory.

SGG

Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I read your whole post but I could get past that part. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:. I know its possible that Umass could win out and grab the NC also, you know, in theory.
That's why I said possible. I think we have zero chance of it happening. Just beat UGAY and don't get embarrassed by FSU.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I have a hard time getting excited about winning the East. Big Whoop. The benchmark used to be win the conference. As far as I'm concerned it's still the benchmark.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
As I pointed out yesterday, we've only won the East once after a loss to the vols. To be honest, I'm not even sure I want to go to Atlanta that way. Not to mention it would basically involve us winning out, which isn't likely. The season is far from over. But our relevance in the East race almost certainly is.

GolfinDog

Banned
BANNED
Jul 21, 2016
As I pointed out yesterday, we've only won the East once after a loss to the vols. To be honest, I'm not even sure I want to go to Atlanta that way. Not to mention it would basically involve us winning out, which isn't likely. The season is far from over. But our relevance in the East race almost certainly is.

It's UT's to lose. After watching those two halves yesterday, Ga can't run with either of those two teams for an entire game. As an outsider looking in, UT is probably as good as they played in the second half, and UF is as good as they showed in the first half. UGA is still a good notch or two below.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
If we back into SECCG based on losses by UT and UGA, it will give Mac three more years. It would look silly to fire a coach who got us to a Championship game for two consecutive years.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have a hard time getting excited about winning the East. Big Whoop. The benchmark used to be win the conference. As far as I'm concerned it's still the benchmark.
I agree with you, but it (winning the east) is a necessary first step.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I think TN is the better team, but I can see them having a big let down next week against UGA. I don't see them beating Bama or A&M. I didn't think TN was good and after yesterday I still don't think they are good. Yesterday was their national championship team and Butch and his staff still couldn't get his team to come out focused and ready. We completely dominated them up front on both sides of the ball and their WR's couldn't even catch routine passes. That tells me they aren't very good and the coaching staff isn't very good. Props to them for turning it around in the second half, but I think that had more to do with Nuss crapping the bed and several moronic defensive lapses in the secondary. I think TN will absolutely lose two SEC games this year, possibly three. The only remaining SEC game that scares me is the away Arky game. LSU looks horrible, UGA has no defense and a mediocre offense, Vandy and USCe are woefully bad. It is very possible that we run the table in our remaining SEC games if we clean up the secondary, keep the offense rolling like the first half of last night, and stay relatively healthy. I'm not saying all of this is likely, but it certainly is a possibility from what I've observed so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator