Jags fire Urban Meyer

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
What are you saying?
He took his kickers leg out in some mafia style hit to make a point to his entire team?
It's bullsh!!t, entirely bullsh!!t that wouldn't have been spoken and damn sure not gone national if the jags were even 7-7.
That's not my point. I have no idea what inspired Urbs to kick the guy or how hard he actually kicked him. I just don't think there is ever a good time for a coach to kick a player. I'm not much of an NFL fan, but it wouldn't matter to me the Jags were undefeated or winless. (And FWIW, I never even heard of this kicker before the story came out.)

From reading your post, I got the impression your take was it less of an issue since it happened in the off season. ("The 'kick' took place in the offseason. Not the regular season and not the preseason, but the friggen offseason") Sorry if I got that wrong, but am trying to figure out your point about it being the offseason.

No idea how good this info is, but in a story in this morning's Wall Street Journal, a source somehow affiliated with the Jags owner said the kicking incident was not a factor in Urbs getting canned.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
No idea how good this info is, but in a story in this morning's Wall Street Journal, a source somehow affiliated with the Jags owner said the kicking incident was not a factor in Urbs getting canned.
I sure hope it wasn’t. If they were SB contenders we would have never heard of this. Actually, the kicker would have probably told the story in a way to show what a great leader he is.

Lambo was getting in on the attention. He’s a douche

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope it wasn’t. If they were SB contenders we would have never heard of this. Actually, the kicker would have probably told the story in a way to show what a great leader he is.

Lambo was getting in on the attention. He’s a douche
Wimps like to pile on after the fact. No risk at that point.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Wimps like to pile on after the fact. No risk at that point.
I couldn't care less about Urbs getting fired or about the kicker crying, but I bet the owner interviewed each and every player privately digging for "cause," and the kick was the strongest thing he dug up. Hence, it going public now.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
GiGi gonna release her kraken!

Urban Meyer's daughter vows 'war' after Jaguars fire coach: 'I think you just released the kraken in me' | Fox News

"The enemy wants us to crumble & crawl into a hole. But I think you just released the kraken in me," she added. "This isn’t about peoples opinions. I don’t care. But when there’s lies & ppl full on after my family… Then I have a problem & I won’t stay quiet."

Honestly he really should sue for defamation/wrongful termination if any of these things are untrue.....I am not saying Urban is Mother Teresa but this reeks of a coordinated hit job to get rid of a guy who wouldn't coddle overpaid divas.....the Lambo story especially sounded like quite convenient timing

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
That's not my point. I have no idea what inspired Urbs to kick the guy or how hard he actually kicked him. I just don't think there is ever a good time for a coach to kick a player. I'm not much of an NFL fan, but it wouldn't matter to me the Jags were undefeated or winless. (And FWIW, I never even heard of this kicker before the story came out.)

From reading your post, I got the impression your take was it less of an issue since it happened in the off season. ("The 'kick' took place in the offseason. Not the regular season and not the preseason, but the friggen offseason") Sorry if I got that wrong, but am trying to figure out your point about it being the offseason.

He was really good the last couple years, he sucked this year....claimed mental health was the reasoning....translation is he got cut and did the hit piece as revenge

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lambo hit job.

857506f3-bfde-4a0f-8228-3418ad9bed07.JPG

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Id like to see the response from all these adults here of the opinion the kicker should just suck it up and quit being a btch, if their boss walked up and kicked them.

Talking about not being a btch, and saying he should have just tolerated it and done nothing in the same breath :lol2:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Well and let's be real....winning covers up a lot of issues....if we were 11-2, the grinder girl and these other issues are swept under the rug....but when you are 2-11, it becomes a reason to fire you
I agree, but you’re probably not a winner in the NFL if you have these issues.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Id like to see the response from all these adults here of the opinion the kicker should just suck it up and quit being a btch, if their boss walked up and kicked them.

Talking about not being a btch, and saying he should have just tolerated it and done nothing in the same breath :lol2:
I don’t have a problem with the way he says he handled it at the time. The problem I have is he’s a punk, pussy little bitch for telling it to the media NOW.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I think I’d have to see it to judge, in the context of it happening on a practice field, whether it crossed the line.

Meyer, when you get down to it, has a throwback mentality to coaching football. I’ll bet if you canvassed the sport, you’d find countless examples of player-coach confrontations that wouldn’t come close to flying in today’s hyper-sensitive workplace environment. It is what it is.

Did it warrant the kicker calling his lawyer? Puhleeze. He’s had months to ponder telling on Meyer. He didn’t. Instead, he waited until he had a huge media tailwind. He’s a putz. Non-story.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

It would probably depend on how many of our members were at one time kickers.

Like @78 stated, I’d like to have seen it. I also can’t help but wonder what set Urbs off at that point. It apparently wasn’t even pre-season yet; why so angry? As I noted previously though, nothing can justify that kind of behavior in an allegedly professional environment.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Did it warrant the kicker calling his lawyer? Puhleeze. He’s had months to ponder telling on Meyer. He didn’t. Instead, he waited until he had a huge media tailwind. He’s a putz. Non-story.
Hard to say if it warranted calling his agent, but from everything I’ve ready, he told him right away. I have not seen anything that tells me the kicker was the one who stirred all this up months later. My instinct is someone in the organization was looking to dump Urbs and pointed reporters in the right direction. As Urbs had cut the guy (not without justification btw), he no doubt was happy to tell the story.
I guess I spent too many years in DC, but this smells like an inside job to dump Urbs. (Look at all the inside the org stuff which put Urbs in a negative light.) He gave them plenty of ammo; it just took someone to hold the reporters hands and get all the negative info out and all at once.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Refusing to call certain position players by their name. The kicking incident. Brutally calling out his own assistants while haughtily reminding everyone of his own resume. I think you can logically assume that Meyer was a bit sensitive to the idea of his own quirky motivational reputation preceding itself. A lot of people questioned whether the mind games schtick would work in the NFL. It didn’t.

Maybe, intentionally or not, he allowed a little more testosterone into his thinking than he should have in an effort to mark his territory. When in reality all he had to do was win more games than he lost and his team would gravitate to him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Heard Fox is considering hiring him back for their college gameday. Bet all hell breaks loose if they do.

You can bet Fox will roll out the Brinks truck to welcome Meyer if it comes with the promise of inviting controversy, as it certainly will. The network caters a fine line between entertainment and “news.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.