Jeff Driskel looks forward to beating Bama

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is being blown out of proportion. This is exactly what I'd want my qb to say.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n16805 said:
One statement is basically saying it would be cool if it happened, the other is saying he expects it to happen. Couldn't be more different
Pumper!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bet Driskel looks forward to beating just about anybody in the SEC in 2014.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think this game is going to surprise people. I'm not going to predict a win for the good guys yet, but I will predict that Bama will be a drastically different team this year. I don't think people realize just how good of a quarterback AJ McCarron was for them over the course of the last few years. Whether you wanna call him a game manager or not, it's gonna be very hard for any Bama quarterback to duplicate that kind of success in the same timespan. There will definitely be growing pains for the new starter at QB and we're the first major challenge they will have all season.

Like us, The Tide have incredible depth at the running back position. Our run defense must be stout in this game. If we can force a turnover and get an early lead, we might be able to force them to play catch up and temporarily abandon the running game, which should play into (what should be) the strength of our defense. In terms of attacking them offensively, I think Auburn and Oklahoma created the blueprint for how to beat Bama last year. Saban has been one of the most vocal critics of up-tempo spread offenses. I believe this is the case because he knows that this style of offense is the worst possible match up for the kind of athletes he recruits on defense, particularly in the front 7. He tends to favor bigger, physical linebackers (typically 240 lbs and up) opposed to faster, agile guys and it's hard to substitute and rotate D-lineman when the opposing team is rapidly running play after play. I hope that conditioning will work to our advantage in this game. Tired teams tend to make more mental mistakes.

But ultimately, we will need Jeff to make some plays with his ARM to beat Bama. I hope his decision making has improved since we last saw him. I'm optimistic that Roper's system is better suited to maximizing Jeff's potential. We will know a lot about him and the kind of season this team can have after this game.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Talking doesn't mean much. I looked up the ESPN quarterback rankings for the 2011 class. Driskel was number one, Alabama's probable starter, Jacob Coker was 71st. Instead of talking, I'd like to see Driskel give a performance on the field that measures up to the hype. If Coker outperforms him, it's just another example of why getting excited over some hot shot high school player is an invitation to be disappointed. An interesting aside is that Nick Marshall was rated the 31st best quarterback, so maybe Malzahn is not the genius he is depicted to be.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n16907 said:
Talking doesn't mean much. I looked up the ESPN quarterback rankings for the 2011 class. Driskel was number one, Alabama's probable starter, Jacob Coker was 71st. Instead of talking, I'd like to see Driskel give a performance on the field that measures up to the hype. If Coker outperforms him, it's just another example of why getting excited over some hot shot high school player is an invitation to be disappointed. An interesting aside is that Nick Marshall was rated the 31st best quarterback, so maybe Malzahn is not the genius he is depicted to be.
No you should get excited about every big time recruit you get because the chances are they are going to be the studs...yes there will be busts and diamonds in the rough but that's what you get when you are scouting players. It's unbelievably hard for the NFL to scout college players correctly now imagine trying to scout high school kids where the guys being scouted are normally playing against kids that have no business being on the same field as a true top skilled recruit.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze said:
Sorry, I was wrong. Coker was 70th. Another guy you may have heard of, Johnny Manziel was 39th.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz said:
"Couldn't think of a better way to start the SEC schedule than a win at Alabama on the road." Is not the same as "I look forward to beating Bama"
Yeah yeah yeah, I wanted to use the headline for the topic but it was too long. I had to come up with something. Sorry you don't approve. :lol:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp said:
I look forward to beating bama (or LSU, UGA, SC, FSU, etc) as well! :thumbup:
SC will be the hardest game, followed by fsu and UGA. LSU is beatable this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The last time Driskel played Bama they tore him apart on his second or third running play.

If I were him, I'd do my talking with my arm and not my mouth.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If you think about it, bama is due for a down year.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Last year was a down year for Bamma. This year is their "oh ****, the dynasty is over" year. We can all thank little Nicky for hiring Lame Kiffin. Disaster follows him around.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n16990 said:
It's hard to have a down year when you have the #1 recruiting class every season.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n16998 said:
It's hard to have a down year when you have the #1 recruiting class every season.

I'm guessing they display that trophy at Walmart, too.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n16998 said:

True, but their recruiting rankings won't win them games alone. The star rating of a recruit is often based on his measurables and potential. And while we all know Saban is probably the best coach in the business, not all kids will succeed in his system or respond well to his coaching. Sure they'll be able to handle the lesser teams on talent alone, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a few games this year. As far as I've heard, they're still in the midst of a quarterback battle and they need someone to fill that huge void in leadership that McCarron left. If they aren't solid at QB this year, it may very well be a down year for the Tide.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n16998 said:
We recruited like that prior to to 2010. Every great run ends eventually. .

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
heversle said:
oxrageous;n16998 said:

True, but their recruiting rankings won't win them games alone. The star rating of a recruit is often based on his measurables and potential. And while we all know Saban is probably the best coach in the business, not all kids will succeed in his system or respond well to his coaching. Sure they'll be able to handle the lesser teams on talent alone, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a few games this year. As far as I've heard, they're still in the midst of a quarterback battle and they need someone to fill that huge void in leadership that McCarron left. If they aren't solid at QB this year, it may very well be a down year for the Tide.
A few games? I'll take that bet...define a "few" and any amount you'd like to lose...errr....wager.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;17141 said:
oxrageous;n16998 said:
We recruited like that prior to to 2010. Every great run ends eventually. .

Nobody's ever recruited like Bama's recruited. The closest was probably USC in the mid 2000s. I'm surprised they haven't done more with it. They have 3 NCs but should only have 2. They should've never been able to play for the 3rd. And only 2 SEC championships total. Puts SOS's dominance in perspective.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It astounds me that people are saying Bama should've done more with it. Three championships in four years is more than any school could dream about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator