Jeff Driskel transferring to LA Tech

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This^ Those of you with far better football acumen than I possess (which is most of you!), I would love to know how much of the bust that Driskel was is attributable to his own undoing (he just really never had it) and how much was due to WM's poor player development/poor offensive philosophy. This kid was the say all-end all coming out of high school, no?
No he wasn't. He was given 5 star by some, 4 star by others. All said he needed work on (shocker) reading defenses and pocket presence.

He had some shocking fundamental issues such as failing to keep his eyes up on his WRs. Those are middle school level fundamentals. Once you look down at the line there is almost no way to recover and try to check progressions with 23 other bodies moving full speed in all directions.

He has never had any touch on his throws, just tries to rifle it, not giving his receivers a chance to run under it, and we've all seen his accuracy issues.

He looked totally lost and like a basket case project as a freshmen and never changed a bit (at least during when he wasn't wearing a red no-contact jersey). It's hard to fix anything else when he has the eye issues. It's like trying to teach a kid to hit a softball when he won't keep his eyes open.

He was a run first guy in high school and that's his skill set plain and simple. Unfortunately as a runner he's fast but not particularly shifty and not powerful. He takes a lot of hits. He could never be that Tebow type to run the ball 30 times a game.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Trenton Brown -@ZachAbolverdi: RT @PAUL_74_BUNYAN: S/o to Brissett and T. Murph for leaving and showing why they should've been playing ✊✊✊

CharlieG

Oct 5, 2014
I wish Jeff the best, no matter which path he chooses.The young man gave UF 4 years of blood, sweat and tears. It just didn't work out for him (or UF). Was it mental ability, poor line play or lack of coaching, I don't know (probably a combination of many things). He gave his best, never got into trouble and was always a team player. Good luck Jeff and GO GATOR!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
williston_gator;n138024 said:
Trenton Brown -@ZachAbolverdi: RT @PAUL_74_BUNYAN: S/o to Brissett and T. Murph for leaving and showing why they should've been playing ✊✊✊

I'm certainly no fan of the ability to publicize our dirty laundry, but it seems too common a sentiment among the players to not be somewhat true. I've been on record saying that Brissett did nothing that indicated he was a significant upgrade in his few chances late in 2012, and truly think that the overall system and philosophy was the real issue. But part of me wonders how the past few seasons would've gone if we he'd stayed and actually progressed. I'm personally of the opinion that we win a few less games in 2012, but lose a few less games this year and last.

Either way, all the more reason we need a clean slate. I said following the Ala game that our whole football team was toxic and needed to be cleansed. Comments like Brown's only reinforce that idea.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's hard to guess what would have happened in 2012. It was a championship defense. All we needed was any semblance of offensive output to win yet we chose not to. Could we have beaten Ugly with a real QB? That 2012 Ugly defense was turrble but not turrble enough to allow Duhriskel to score.

Forget Brissett, if we had played even Tyler Murphy in 2012, I suspect we win the east. Even the option stuff ran better with any other person on the field.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I hope its not a race thing when all is said and done. Especially if Grier ends up truly winning the starting job.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n138040 said:
I hope its not a race thing when all is said and done. Especially if Grier ends up truly winning the starting job.

I don't think it will be if grier is truly playing better. If they are both struggling to move the ball and grier gets the job it could

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n138040 said:

Read somewhere last week that McElwain had reached out to Harris, so my take is the QB battle will likely be wide open.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n138053 said:
I don't think it will be if grier is truly playing better. If they are both struggling to move the ball and grier gets the job it could

This. The other players just want to see the best people starting. Special treatment breeds locker room dissension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.