Jesse said this...

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
During Saturday's UF vs. MO game, Palmer said, (paraphrasing) "Yes, the Gator line is young, but this far into the season, it is time for them to show some improvement, to step up and do their job."

Are these guys really that bad, or is it inept coaching?

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
One doesn't exclude the other. I'd say both. How many gassers do you think Saban would've had Sharpe running after all those false starts? Wait.....don't answer that. His ass would be on the bench and Saban would pull up another from his 4 deep position.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just remember that's coming from a Canadian, so you know it's bad

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I'm not so sure why Ivey was so highly rated out of high school. He played for Apopka but what a lot of people don't know is that team has a run only offense and has had it for years. They literally have like 6 plays the run (no pun intended) and that's all they do. The run it to perfection and just stomp everybody they play. The kid had zero practice doing pass protection during high school. On top of that much of his competition was inferior so of course he was going to look amazing on tape.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not so sure why Ivey was so highly rated out of high school. He played for Apopka but what a lot of people don't know is that team has a run only offense and has had it for years. They literally have like 6 plays the run (no pun intended) and that's all they do. The run it to perfection and just stomp everybody they play. The kid had zero practice doing pass protection during high school. On top of that much of his competition was inferior so of course he was going to look amazing on tape.

Yeah. That's the reason they thought would be a good fit at guard to start. Sharpe has been a disappointment to say the least.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
One doesn't exclude the other. I'd say both. How many gassers do you think Saban would've had Sharpe running after all those false starts? Wait.....don't answer that. His ass would be on the bench and Saban would pull up another from his 4 deep position.

The Great Satan has depth. Compare http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/alabama/89923 and http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/florida/90498 The preponderance of frosh backups at least tells me that the problem is being addressed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
During Saturday's UF vs. MO game, Palmer said, (paraphrasing) "Yes, the Gator line is young, but this far into the season, it is time for them to show some improvement, to step up and do their job."

Are these guys really that bad, or is it inept coaching?

How "wise" are the coaches. When I attended UF in '63, I had to take Phys-ED. In the gymnasium
I always saw huge Linemen at the Pommel Horse & Parallel Bars. Talking to them I learned that their
coach instructed them to take gymnastics as a credit course. They praised how such apparatus strengthened
and co-ordinated arms power with maintaining body balance, Also, some said coach insisted they enroll in
Ballet class. Think about it. In Ballet the task of the male is to catch the rocket-leap of the female without
showing the least off-balance twitch by the male body allignment. All such was "coaching out of the box".
We got any wise coaches ?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
On a somewhat positive note did anyone else see what Taylor did to Vandy's DB? That's what 300# plus OL are supposed to do to LB's and DB's......Sharpe completely whiffed on his chance to bury a DB for the 2nd game in a row while Jesse slobbered all over him and we lucked out with a good spot on a WR screen to get the 1st down...

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Apopka runs the single wing. You run the same run plays over and over but you execute it perfectly. No false starts. You try to get four or five yards every carry. You move the chains and march down the field. You play field position football. This is the General Neyland style of football. This is football with a strategic focus. If you like old school football Apopka is your team.

Coaching teaches execution, but you have to also have players who want to learn execution and who stay focused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.