Jimmy Dubose

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The honorary Mr Two Bits on Saturday. He was a hero for me in college. Our first 1000 yd rusher, In 75 had over 200 yds rushing in the win over the Nulls,,,,,,,,,,34-8. When he got going we were chanting Doooooooooooooo
Rivals thought we were booing,. Great gator from the 70s. He and Tony Green were GREAT Rbs with so much talent.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The honorary Mr Two Bits on Saturday. He was a hero for me in college. Our first 1000 yd rusher, In 75 had over 200 yds rushing in the win over the Nulls,,,,,,,,,,34-8. When he got going we were chanting Doooooooooooooo
Rivals thought we were booing,. Great gator from the 70s. He and Tony Green were GREAT Rbs with so much talent.

His era - I was in junior high - is when I started coming into real awareness about sports and became a true Gator. I remember Kentucky had a star All-SEC RB back named Sonny Collins. Someone had a banner that said, “Jimmy Du & Sonny Who?” As I recall they each got 62 rushing yards that day. Not sure what year that was, but probably 1975.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If Dwayne Schintzius was the Mullet then Jimmy D was the Afro.He's bald now, Great runner and personality.

35-dubosejimmy.jpg

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
IMO, Mr. Dubose is one of the most under-appreciated players in UF history. He ran with great power and very good speed, and was one the first great players in the "new" era of desegregation in the SEC. He may not have been UF's best back ever, but he was certainly one of the most important "game changers" in UF football history. James Jones was another seemingly forgotten Gator great, who absolutely deserves to be remembered with tremendous respect. Both these men exemplified UF's legacy of excellence in athletics and character that includes the likes of Emmitt Smith, Danny Wuerffel and Tim Tebow.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember the chants of Du Du Du Du so well. And those tear-away jerseys of that era. :lol:

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I’m on record as not being a fan of the whole “honorary two-bits” thing and I still feel the same. Having said that, Jimmy Dubose was/is a great Gator.
:chomp:

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Yes. I'll never forget Vandy game, my junior year, 1975. I believe the week after that FSU game (we played them in the middle of the season most times back then). Vandy kicks off deep. We get ball at 20. First play, Jimmy Du dives into line, finds a hole, he's gone. 80 yds later and only a few secs into the game, we're up 7-0. I believe we won something like 35-0.

Funny thing is, my friend and frat brother Art from CT was bent over (so as to hide what he was doing from security) pouring bourbon into our cups. He looked up to find out what the fuss was about. "What happened?" :scratchhead: :lol:

Dubose was a really special player. Along with, as pointed out above, Tony Green. However, as devastating an attack as it was, we're not going back to the wishbone.

BTW, that 1975 team missed a perfect regular season by just FOUR points. Lost 8-7 to Lou Holtz coached NC State (yes, that's right) in Raleigh, I think it was the 2nd game of the year, and 10-7 in famous "Appleby to Washington" halfback pass to Georgia.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
BTW, that 1975 team missed a perfect regular season by just FOUR points. Lost 8-7 to Lou Holtz coached NC State (yes, that's right) in Raleigh, I think it was the 2nd game of the year, and 10-7 in famous "Appleby to Washington" halfback pass to Georgia.
Dickey was close.......I remember the Appleby pass I was cursing Dooley.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator