Jonathan Martin and Political Correctness In Sports

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I want to zero in on the political correct hot button of “bullying”. I was driven into a rant about this after recently discussing the Martin case as it occurred in Miami with my son. My mind was just blown to think that a 6’5”, 312 pound man would cry to anyone and especially the press about being bullied. This is the NFL for christsakes!! Think about it!

Almost every youth in America experiences bullying at one point in his life unless he is the bully himself. AND almost everyone knows that it will continue until the bully is faced down and made to quit bullying of fight. We also know that not all bullies are cowards or softies – the one in my neighborhood was a tough customer. He used to chase me home practically every day until my mother caught me in the act of fleeing. She made it clear that I would get twice the whipping at home if she caught me running again. I still remember the incident well. The next day I was in full flight when I spotted my mother outside watering the grass. I stopped so suddenly that "Larry" tripped over me and fell flat on his face. I pounced on him and we both threw a couple of lame punches and the fight was over. He never chased me again. That story has been repeated in numerous TV themes and stories and is generally the case.

You see, those espousing PC principles believe that violence never solves a problem which is patently absurd. Many times violence or at least the threat of violence is the only thing that works. I haven’t got time for examples but you don’t need to hear them from me.

That brings me to this wuss Martin. All it would have taken for him to alleviate the problem was to punch Incognito in the mouth. I’m not saying he wouldn’t have gotten his ass kicked but it would have sent the correct message and the bullying would have stopped, if indeed that’s what it actually was in the first place. If he was afraid to try that approach he should have waylaid him with a chair or some other object.

Now I ask you. Wouldn’t you have been humiliated for anyone to hear you complain to anyone about being bullied – especially in the national press? This clown does not deserve to belong to the NFL fraternity and I agree with former Florida and Miami linebacker Crowder—that he will never last.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure I agree with your entire premise but I do agree with this PC BS. I'm so tired of everyone having to watch what they say. We're raising such a generation of nancies. As far as Incognito, he's a piece of **** and there's no excuse for his antics. He's a grown man and if he doesn't know how to act then he should be jettisoned. When I was a kid I was small-ish until about 10th grade. I'm 6-3 and 200lbs or do right now (and almost 40 ys old) so I'm obviously not a runt any more. But I was in a lot of fist fights. Literally almost a hundred. Similarly my mother locked the door and made me face my bully. I was about 12 and he never bullied me again. When I was about 9 or 10 I fought another kid that bullied me and threw him in a thorn bush and bruised him up. He never did it again.

But there are countless times where I confronted and got my ass kicked. But I was a military brat so we constantly moved and the bullies would eventually be out of my life. As far as kids are concerned I think it's important to face your bullies but I think it's just as important for parents to remain vigilant and intercede when applicable.

When my my kids were 4 and 6 an older kid picked on my 4 year old at the Y. The 6 year came home upset and I explained they're brothers and their job was to protect each other. It happened again a week later and my 6 year old pushed the older kid to the ground when he confronted the 4 year old. It never happened again. And they've never been in a confrontation since.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I never had to throw a punch to end a fight. I usually picked up something fairly heavy and threw it at them, or picked them up and threw them into something hard like a tree or a wall. I was pretty strong as a kid, my dad worked my @ss off on the weekends cutting down trees to clear off our property. Bullies never expected me to be so strong because I was and still am a short guy. Just showing the willingness to end it yourself is usually more than enough to deter bullies. Running away only invites further bullying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.