Justin Fields decides to remain a leghumper

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Regardless of whether we pursue Fields or not, he is dumb IMO for sticking with UGA. That kid Fromm is the real deal and Eason is a more than capable backup and would be starting on most teams. If Fields goes there he isn't gonna play for 2 years at least.

Mullen has to sell the kid not only on early playing time, but that he is building something special here, and fast. Fields probably has fantasies of being the national championship quarterback. We need to make him believe that's more probable here than there.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen has to sell the kid not only on early playing time, but that he is building something special here, and fast. Fields probably has fantasies of being the national championship quarterback. We need to make him believe that's more probable here than there.

When they're about to play for a title? Good luck with that.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I were a QB I'd rather play for a team than watch my own team win a championship from the bench.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I didn’t say to not recruit any QBs. For sure, we need some spread style QBs. But this idea of going all in on Fields when we have a another elite signal QB and basically telling him to suck it up or GTFO is ridiculous.

And by the way, I don’t think the staff is doing that. They’ve already gone up and visited corral. And I think they are handling this delicately. I’m sure that they are telling him that we don’t have any QBs on the roster at all for him to even compete against. And that iron sharpens iron (Meyer-ism).

The irony is that the initial rationale used for Fields coming here instead is the logjam at QB in Athens. But then we’re expecting Corral to just deal with the competition or pound sand.

Again, a perfected roster doesn’t happen in one cycle. The embarrassment of Riches uga is enjoying is because of landing a great QB in ‘16, ‘17 and ‘18. Not 2 or 3 in one class. And to give you an idea of how destitute their situation was before, they started Faton Bauta against us, who was their safety. Two seasons later and they’ve methodically gone from awful to set. It just doesn’t always happen overnight, and definitely shouldn’t be forced. We needed, and had, 2 RBs in the ‘12 class. Trying to force the issue with Marshall, we ended up with only one. Can’t afford that again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When they're about to play for a title? Good luck with that.

It's an uphill battle, for sure, but Mullen has some hardware of his own to tote around. Maybe he can get Tebow to tag-team.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It's an uphill battle, for sure, but Mullen has some hardware of his own to tote around. Maybe he can get Tebow to tag-team.

I hope so. Sec Champs and playing for it all. That's what we used to sell here.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The reality is this has suddenly become a decidedly different Florida team in terms of offensive philosophy from the one Corral committed to. We know it, he knows, everyone knows it, which is why he paid a visit to Bama and why we're out talking to dual-threat recruits. Both sides feel it's in their best interest moving forward.

Commitment and loyalty still matter, but winning matters even more. We need the best dual-threat QB we can find -- now.
His visit to Bama was before we hired Mullen.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
We scored 62 on Western Carolina and 42 on UCF to pad the numbers.

SEC and FSU scoring numbers: 21, 26, 28, 23, 17, 21, 25, 17, 21, 38. Off the top of my head, there were at least three defensive/special teams touchdowns in there. That's not a good offense.

Yep. We also had a lot of plays work (see the LSU game) because no one knew how to attempt to defend Tebow yet. We played some great defense that year and had a few timely plays. Reggie Nelson may have been the MVP that year.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was in between Mac and Mullen, a time of uncertainty. Mullen's hire only adds to it.

What are you talking about? He has reconfirmed his commitment.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't pay attention to any of the talk. It's Dec. 3.

So if you don’t pay attention to any of the talk, what exactly are you commenting on? What do you have to back up that he’s decided to look elsewhere and will be moving on with his commitment?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The irony is that the initial rationale used for Fields coming here instead is the logjam at QB in Athens. But then we’re expecting Corral to just deal with the competition or pound sand.
I'd be fine with us cutting ties with Corral and getting a 3 star QB that fits the offense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Who gets an elite QB And then tries to recruit another elite quarterback in the same cycle?
Well, a program who changes coaches and offensive philosophies in the middle of the cycle. We should just shove a QB who doesn't fit the system in there because he didn't decommit during the transition?

I hope Corral stays and competes, and beats out the competition and wins the damn Heisman for us. I also hope Mullen gets as many elite QB's in here as possible to try and do the same thing.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was in between Mac and Mullen, a time of uncertainty. Mullen's hire only adds to it.
And he’ll be gone, just as soon as Mullen gets one or two new commits

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So if you don’t pay attention to any of the talk, what exactly are you commenting on? What do you have to back up that he’s decided to look elsewhere and will be moving on with his commitment?

J, I never positioned this as having an inside. My "inside," if you want to call it that, is 62 years on the planet, most of which I've been a fan of college football and the last 20.5 over which I've personally overseen the goings-on of my own millennial, a kid who changes his mind on an almost daily basis.

Fields may very well be cemented at Georgia. I'll only feel certain of that if he enrolls early or on NSD.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

It's no different than the market. Location/location/location. I can make more for your portfolio being in the right three-star fund than the wrong five-star fund.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We scored 62 on Western Carolina and 42 on UCF to pad the numbers.

SEC and FSU scoring numbers: 21, 26, 28, 23, 17, 21, 25, 17, 21, 38. Off the top of my head, there were at least three defensive/special teams touchdowns in there. That's not a good offense.

I wouldn't say that when we were # 2 in total offense in the SEC behind LSU in 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.