Kids these days will never know….

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I doubt kids today could figure out how to ride a swing at all. It would require putting their phones down and actually going outside and assuming some small significant amount of risk.
FIFY. The risks we took "playing" are roughly the same as being deployed to Syria.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The number of Showbiz Pizza tokens I put into that thing....

EDIT: we even stood at attention as kids for the playing of the national anthem! I can still hear in my head the voice of the guy singing it and we'd sing it too :lol:

Can you still hear the simulated crowd noise?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, since you mentioned the National Anthem and standing etc. I was attending ROTC summer camp the first time I saw "Patton" in the base theater. The opening has the General walking in and someone calling the room to attention. The whole audience, admittedly a lot of kadets, popped to attention and stood there until George C. Scott said as you were. Back in those days, the movies at the base always opened with NA and of course everyone stood.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, I changed my avatar. My FIL flew the B-17 and got shot down over Germany. Spent 2 1/2 years in a POW camp. My father was a flight engineer in both the B-17 and B-29 and of course y'all are aware that I piloted the BUFF. Saw this picture today and thought it was apropos.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, since you mentioned the National Anthem and standing etc. I was attending ROTC summer camp the first time I saw "Patton" in the base theater. The opening has the General walking in and someone calling the room to attention. The whole audience, admittedly a lot of kadets, popped to attention and stood there until George C. Scott said as you were. Back in those days, the movies at the base always opened with NA and of course everyone stood.
yep on the AAFES theaters...

Also, into the early '90's, I will admit to watching TV late at night in our apartment in Gainesville after having consumed alcohol and standing at attention when a broadcast channel would go off the air.

Quietest packed AAFES theater I was ever in: earlyish 1987 at Grafenwhor Training Area in Germany, at the theater in the training area (not main post nice theater which was off limits to us people actually training at Graf) watching Platoon with about 700 other dudes in dirty uniforms.

Loudest packed AAFES theater I was ever in: summer 1985, Disney Theater at Ft Knox. OSUT was 16 weeks long, and we were treated nearly the same on the last day as on the first day. 16th Cav (unlike 15th Cav) got ZERO privileges during the 16 weeks... in the mess hall, no soda drinks and no short order food (no hamburgers type stuff), no going to the PX other than as a platoon to get toiletries and stationary under the watchful eye of DSs. But on the night after our Phase II testing, DS Lamboy said in his heavy PR voice, "Fuk it, we're going to the movies" and we watched Rambo II that night. The next morning sucked.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, I changed my avatar. My FIL flew the B-17 and got shot down over Germany. Spent 2 1/2 years in a POW camp. My father was a flight engineer in both the B-17 and B-29 and of course y'all are aware that I piloted the BUFF. Saw this picture today and thought it was apropos.
Good stuff.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Your dad wasn't eaten by German cannibals was he?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Were either of them part of the 100th or the 8th?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator