Kids these days will never know….

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
1709777930764.jpeg

I was searching for a photo of Ed McMahon and Publisher’s Clearing House to post, however the internet is saying he never worked for them. He worked for American Family Publishers instead. Who? I could have sworn he handed out the big checks for Publishers Clearing House

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nalt trying to tractor-shame @Altitude Gator when we know this is what he tends to his garden plot with back in the Red Hills…Psychologists refer to this as a form of “Penis Envy!”

IMG_0351.jpeg

:lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Area codes
How so? Now the thing we still had as kids that you'll never hear again is stuff like "Logan 5-1234" for a local number that started with "565" or Crescent 4-1234" for a "274" prefix number... I remember "Tyler" and a few others too. This is a Bevedere commercial...

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How so? Now the thing we still had as kids that you'll never hear again is stuff like "Logan 5-1234" for a local number that started with "565" or Crescent 4-1234" for a "274" prefix number... I remember "Tyler" and a few others too. This is a Bevedere commercial...

The cell numbers given out now are all over the place!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

I liked how they were also often area specific. For example, I grew up in Alexandria, Va., the old part of which is dominated by a Masonic Temple, on a high hill, meant to mimic the lighthouse of Alexandria, Egypt - one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Accordingly, everyone in my neighborhood had a phone number which started with “Temple Six” (836).

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's a no-no. You've got a coke machine with coke products (coke and diet coke), pepsi products (mountain dew), and 7up products (7up and sunkist). Coke won't let you put other company's products into their machines.

Alex.
You used to find a lot of machines set up that way (late 60’s - early 70’s when I was young). Don’t know but just guessing that some of the stores and places that had these machines either owned them and maybe stocked them. Every little country store at that time usually had a Coke box that looked like a chest freezer and you’d open them up to get a drink and there’d liable to be Cokes, RC’s, Mountain Dews, Nehis, Royal Palms, and who knows what in the vending racks. Surely as things progressed and the soft drink market intensified, Coke and Pepsi got out of the business of sharing space in their machines.

One other little related historical tidbit…when shade tobacco was big in Gadsden County, a lot of the labor used in the growing and harvesting lived on the different farms and a few, with the help of the farm superintendent would arrange to have a Coke machine set up on the porch of the house they lived in. These became little money-makers as the other tenants would come and buy soda waters and Coke would add them to the route and make a weekly drop. Coke’s marketing strategy at the time was to make their product available wherever and whenever to everybody they could. It was a great company and made a lot of people in Gadsden County rich by way of early investment opportunities when it was just getting started. Times have certainly changed…

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You used to find a lot of machines set up that way (late 60’s - early 70’s when I was young). Don’t know but just guessing that some of the stores and places that had these machines either owned them and maybe stocked them. Every little country store at that time usually had a Coke box that looked like a chest freezer and you’d open them up to get a drink and there’d liable to be Cokes, RC’s, Mountain Dews, Nehis, Royal Palms, and who knows what in the vending racks. Surely as things progressed and the soft drink market intensified, Coke and Pepsi got out of the business of sharing space in their machines.

One other little related historical tidbit…when shade tobacco was big in Gadsden County, a lot of the labor used in the growing and harvesting lived on the different farms and a few, with the help of the farm superintendent would arrange to have a Coke machine set up on the porch of the house they lived in. These became little money-makers as the other tenants would come and buy soda waters and Coke would add them to the route and make a weekly drop. Coke’s marketing strategy at the time was to make their product available wherever and whenever to everybody they could. It was a great company and made a lot of people in Gadsden County rich by way of early investment opportunities when it was just getting started. Times have certainly changed…

The coke button on that machine is for coca cola classic so that would have been mid 80's to early 90's. That's during the "no pepsi products in our machines" era.

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The coke button on that machine is for coca cola classic so that would have been mid 80's to early 90's. That's during the "no pepsi products in our machines" era.

Alex.
Could be that it was purchased privately and set up to operate and be stocked by the owner and not on the Coke route. A note about the “Coca Cola Classic”…I recall when Coke changed the recipe. Seems like there was some concern about the original formula having “narcotics” in it even if that wasn’t necessarily the reason officially given for the change. I remember taking the first sip of the New Coke and thinking “dang, this tastes like a Pepsi!” It wasn’t too long after that they went back to a taste closer to the original, but the formula had been changed. For a while when I was growing up, my grandmama had a case of “short cokes” dropped off about every two weeks. Those were the best tasting Cokes there ever were as far as we were concerned.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

Alex.
We had tons of private vending machines around where I grew up. There was no telling what would be in there when you walked up.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Bud.....Miller.....Coors..... :dunno:
Ready room in a flying squadron. After a day of ferrying senior officers around (T-39 Saberliner), if you had any crew duty day left the first thing you did, before checking in with MAC/DOOF, was pop a top on a brew. That way they couldn't send you out to spend the night in Omaha. Or OKE City.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator