Kinda harsh Tom Jones article...

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
29 games of reality have occurred.

You can hope for donkey to change his stripes all you want.

Swamp Donkey nails it here but I do want to say this. Mac has been watching this guy [Franks] for over a year. If he had any football sense at all he needs to figure out how to get the ball into Franks' hands and in a position to sling that ball around, get the ball into Toni and Davis' hands more and get Cleveland into a rhythm of cleaner and crisper routes. . He'd better do it NOW. What the hell has been holding him up? Fear of a questionable offensive line that would get skill players hurt? That's the only thing I can think would be the reason. Franks is a play maker. We now know this. Cleveland, Davis, and Toni need to be centerpieces of this team skilled player wise. But like Swamp Donkey has pointed out we've had 29 games to watch the Gators evolve only to remain stagnant doing the same thing offensively over and over again and expecting different results. So I'm not going to hold my breath waiting to see if Mac/Nuss have epiphanies. That's usually reserved for thinking people.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Wow, Let's see if I can clean this up:

1. UF's pick 16 was returned all of 16 yards. It was on the third play of a "drive" that netted UTn -1 yards. So yes UF's defense was right back on the field, but not after a long drive by UTn.

2. UF certainly did not lose 102 yards due to fumble. Neither fumble was returned at all. Of course a fumble through the endzone is a touchback so UF lost 19 yards due to that. So UF gained 83 yards on those fumble plays. Without those yards, UF well might have lost that game.

3 I have no problem declining the penalty. I just did not work out, but there is no guarantee you stop them for two plays after a short penalty.

4. The clock management in the last minute was an issue to me.

Here is a link to the play by play:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400933856

if you would like to check out the details of the UTn drive prior to the pick six.
Well, that 102 yards of offense did us no real good, so yes, IMO, they cost us 102 yards, at least one touchdown, and contributed to defense being gassed at the end of the game.

As for the pick 6 (not 16), a 3 and out puts your OFFENSE on the field. A pick 6 puts your DEFENSE on the field. Yet another reason for the defense being gassed.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well, that 102 yards of offense did us no real good, so yes, IMO, they cost us 102 yards, at least one touchdown, and contributed to defense being gassed at the end of the game.

As for the pick 6 (not 16), a 3 and out puts your OFFENSE on the field. A pick 6 puts your DEFENSE on the field. Yet another reason for the defense being gassed.

Sorry for the typo, but I was responding to a poster claiming "Defense ended a long Tennessee drive with a pick 6..." So while your statement is correct it is irrelevant to the idea that the pick six was after a long drive.

Also the fumbles led to two one play drives. Those can hurt your tire your D, but the yardage was still there and UF was in a much better position than say a fumble at the LOS in each case. UTn had to gain back those yards in each case. The difference between say a bad 28 yard punt and a 74 yard punt that rolled into the endzone is each of them would have come after at least two more plays without the fumbles. So the D lost 4 plays of rest.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WTF does he know?

92df52cf5d67b83799c3a62467aef329.jpg

My first reaction too. FWIW, when I was a young lad in Philly I had an Italian nanny who was as dumb as a bag of hammers and homely as sin. She was absolutely destined to be a life long spinster, stricken with acute acne and brillo pad hair. She made the perfect Tom Jones fan from what I could see from the audience on his show. Once a week she would corral me to watch this undulating idiot's variety show while she swooned endlessly. I have to admit, I did like his tune "What's New Pussy Cat," especially the french waltz feel of it and the ridiculous blaring trombones. It sounds like the theme music you'd pick if you took the Bellevue psych ward out for a day at the circus. Here's a video of him on his variety show. Thankfully, he's not baring his glistening chest hairs in his open shirt, which was something he did often. Oh, and get it right, you idiot Welshman, that was NOT a Hail Mary:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That 102 yards plus a 63 yard bomb certainly helped disguise yet another day of offensive flaccidity.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Ah, the tried and true "big plays don't count" argument. Last time I checked, the plays were made and the yards count.

The yards before the fumbles count in the stats but the scoreboard doesn't care about stats. Bottom line is, if you lose possession of the ball, you can't score.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ah, the tried and true "big plays don't count" argument. Last time I checked, the plays were made and the yards count.

380 total yards and 20 offensive points (which include the big plays) is nothing to brag about. That's statistically worse than Mac's previous two games against UT. Not that I think you were bragging. I simply think the continued frustration about the offense and coaching is valid.

The yards before the fumbles count in the stats but the scoreboard doesn't care about stats. Bottom line is, if you lose possession of the ball, you can't score.

I understand that we probably get more yards and points if it weren't for the fumbles, and you don't think this is the coaches' fault because the coaches didn't fumble the ball. But we've now had 5 fumbles lost in just 2 games. If the fumbles continue, then this is on the coaches because they need to be teaching and practicing ball security.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If a running back has 5 yards on 20 carries and then has a 95-yard run to reach the century mark, would you say he had a good day?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
380 total yards and 20 offensive points (which include the big plays) is nothing to brag about. That's statistically worse than Mac's previous two games against UT. Not that I think you were bragging. I simply think the continued frustration about the offense and coaching is valid.

I understand that we probably get more yards and points if it weren't for the fumbles, and you don't think this is the coaches' fault because the coaches didn't fumble the ball. But we've now had 5 fumbles lost in just 2 games. If the fumbles continue, then this is on the coaches because they need to be teaching and practicing ball security.
well we got about 70 yards of offense off of 1 play that resulted in the ball in the other teams hands so I'd say it's a wash.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If a running back has 5 yards on 20 carries and then has a 95-yard run to reach the century mark, would you say he had a good day?
That was Jeff Demps vs Tinerc one year IIRC, though I think it was 5 yards on 22 or 24 carries and one long TD.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
380 total yards and 20 offensive points (which include the big plays) is nothing to brag about. That's statistically worse than Mac's previous two games against UT.
That's considered an explosion around here lately.

Anything more than 6 points is an exceptional day and we overcame the adversity in the OC box.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thread title reminds me of one of my favorite standup gigs.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Imo that's still a bad day because it sounds more like the defense was out of place rather than it being the rb who did something right. It could be that it was a corner blitz and we ran the option and it was an open field for 95 yards. 20 carries for 5 yards sounds like a terrible rb

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
How is this new information? We've been a bad offensive team for close to a decade which is why touchdowns feel like goals in soccer.
Actually, our offensive TDs have been even more scarce than soccer scores, more like hen's teeth. All the exhilarating TD did for me and most, probably, was to make us hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator