GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you don't know about this, you need to. Kodi and its Genesis add-on. Connect it to your computer and connect an HDMI to your TV. Will change your life.

You can YouTube it. Took 10 minutes for me to download it and set it up.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What are you connecting to your TV?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Computer by HDMI. Kodi is a free media viewer software.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Had to look it up to find that Kodi is the old XBMC software. For those unaware, back when it was XBMC it was top notch for getting access to all kinds of online viewing. Very slick, good healthy interface, and I think it even had apps for your mobile device to control it during playback. Runs on nearly any operating system. Tbh, though I consider myself technologically inclined, I couldn't spend the time to really get it how I wanted nor become dependent upon it for all it had to offer. Still, looks like under the Kodi name they have continued to make it better and better...and still free. I also recommend it for those with the time and inclination. It isn't super involved, but if you are comfortable with your computer and can spend a little time it can open a lot more media up for you.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
GatorJ;n259572 said:
If you don't know about this, you need to. Kodi and its Genesis add-on. Connect it to your computer and connect an HDMI to your TV. Will change your life.

You can YouTube it. Took 10 minutes for me to download it and set it up.

Is this like a free version of Roku?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
MidwestChomp;n259699 said:
Is this like a free version of Roku?

Just set up Roku a couple of weeks ago - not too bad but that was for the TV in the main room.
For my office PC - might just have to try the Kodi thang -
Is it like Roku?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Gatordiddy;n259720 said:
Just set up Roku a couple of weeks ago - not too bad but that was for the TV in the main room.
For my office PC - might just have to try the Kodi thang -
Is it like Roku?

How do you like Roku? I've been tempted for a while to try it.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
MidwestChomp;n259737 said:

It seems (in my very limited use) that it's essentially a gateway to content - (e.g. Netflix, Amazon, Google Play, etc) but you still have to have an account with those respective services.
So to me it's more of a gathering of disparate entertainment sources into one interface from which you can create channels - which is kind of handy.

That's why I'm hoping that Kodi might be a little different in that it might offer some free stuff that Roku doesn't.

I can design IT data centers - But I'm the type of guy who has to hand his phone to one of his kids and say "please figure out why I can't do xyz".
So I may not be the best source on this topic :(

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n259737 said:
Like Diddy, I am not technically inclined. I use my smart phone (2 year old android) to talk, text and take pictures, that's about it. We use Roku for Netflix and Amazon access. We pay close to $10 per month for each, but I think we get our $$ worth as we watch several shows/movies on both and there's lots of cartoons/movies for the boy to watch as well. We rarely watch regular TV anymore. We like it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a roku. A roku has apps that stream content. Such as Netflix, HBOGO, Amazon, HULU, etc...

This is a bit different. The Kodi software is a media viewer. Like Itunes. BUT 100X more robust. The Genesis Add-On allows you to stream other types of media. Such as movies just released in theaters, All-NBA pass,etc.. No downloading of content. Only streaming. Attach the computer by HDMI to your TV and download the KODI remote to your phone to control the software remotely on your TV. Aside from the remote control app, the whole process was 10 minutes. It took me about 30 minutes to figure out the remote control setup.

Here's a youtube on Genesis and Kodi:

[video=youtube;aYedxLmZQPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYedxLmZQPo[/video]

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n259816 said:
I have a roku. A roku has apps that stream content. Such as Netflix, HBOGO, Amazon, HULU, etc...

This is a bit different. The Kodi software is a media viewer. Like Itunes. BUT 100X more robust. The Genesis Add-On allows you to stream other types of media. Such as movies just released in theaters, All-NBA pass,etc.. No downloading of content. Only streaming. Attach the computer by HDMI to your TV and download the KODI remote to your phone to control the software remotely on your TV. Aside from the remote control app, the whole process was 10 minutes. It took me about 30 minutes to figure out the remote control setup.

Here's a youtube on Genesis and Kodi:

[video=youtube;aYedxLmZQPo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYedxLmZQPo[/video]
Will it help me get Gator games on my computer so i don't have to rely on ESPN/SEC Network?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
True Detective and GOT on it.

I'll work on the ESPN thing this weekend.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n259681 said:
Computer by HDMI. Kodi is a free media viewer software.

Got it. Not a big fan of having to connect my Laptop, or desktop, to my TV. Kodi needs to be available for download on my appletv and that would make more sense.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;260338 said:
Got it. Not a big fan of having to connect my Laptop, or desktop, to my TV. Kodi needs to be available for download on my appletv and that would make more sense.

There's a reason it can't. I think people are missing the point of what Kodi is. I'm trying to be as clear as possible without actually saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.