Lack of Speed

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Our offense has been void of speed since the Demps and Rainey left. It hit me when Brandon Powell got on the field for the first time in a couple weeks. He looks faster than anybody out there and we havent had that in a while. Other than the obvious flaw at qb we need to recruit more speed guys. Right now all we have is Powell, DRod when Driskel can get him the ball, and Debose who couldnt catch a cold. Speed kills.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n78428 said:
Our offense has been void of speed since the Demps and Rainey left. It hit me when Brandon Powell got on the field for the first time in a couple weeks. He looks faster than anybody out there and we havent had that in a while. Other than the obvious flaw at qb we need to recruit more speed guys. Right now all we have is Powell, DRod when Driskel can get him the ball, and Debose who couldnt catch a cold. Speed kills.

That's when DRod is going all out, there was at least one Go Route Saturday night, he was half assing his run.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
8802Gator;n78428 said:

That's when DRod is going all out, there was at least one Go Route Saturday night, he was half assing his run.

Can you blame him. He out runs Driskels underthrows everytime.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n78476 said:
Can you blame him. He out runs Driskels underthrows everytime.

I would say until Saturday night, it was teh other way around... Driskel usually overthrows guys by 10 yards. If you are going on a Go Route, and you have to break from the DB, Go. There is not excuse for half assing a Go route.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n78480 said:
I would say until Saturday night, it was teh other way around... Driskel usually overthrows guys by 10 yards. If you are going on a Go Route, and you have to break from the DB, Go. There is not excuse for half assing a Go route.

There's no excuse for our coach full assing every game.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Why people here would prefer overthrowing a deep ball versus an under throw is beyond me. Nobody catches an overthrow, it's a waste. 2 of the 4 possible outcomes trump that on an underthrow, one being the same outcome. PI, completion, incomplete, int.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That's what Muschamp wanted. He didn't want speed. He wanted big physical players that would grind down opponents and win 14-10. It's been his blueprint since he took the job. Only recently did he sort of discover that his whole concept was flawed--especially considering the speed we have in this state and region--and decide we were going to switch to more of an up-tempo spread team. In short, it's his fault that we only have a few fast guys.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n78505 said:
There's no excuse for our coach full assing every game.

already comented on that, but that is a different thread... stay on topic or Ox will tell you to.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n78509 said:
Why people here would prefer overthrowing a deep ball versus an under throw is beyond me. Nobody catches an overthrow, it's a waste. 2 of the 4 possible outcomes trump that on an underthrow, one being the same outcome. PI, completion, incomplete, int.

Who said they prefer it?

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014

Robinson doesn't fight for the ball either. He doesn't appear to have any killer instincts when it comes to receiving. Again, that goes to coaching. Either you go all out or you sit.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator said:

Robinson doesn't fight for the ball either. He doesn't appear to have any killer instincts when it comes to receiving. Again, that goes to coaching. Either you go all out or you sit.

I disagree. You cant coach a killer instict. Some have it some dont. I will say that if they do half ass it out there I want them to sit. Dunbar needs to sit immediately.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n78554 said:

I agree that he doesn't fight for the ball. That is NOT all on coaching!!! Everyone wants to blame everything on the coaches and not everything lies at their feet. You can teach, train, drill, practice and emphasize the right things in the right way, but you can never control another person's thoughts or actions. Coaches are absolutely the ones we look to in order to teach, train and even motivate the players. However, in reality they can't MAKE the players do anything - including want something badly enough.

This talk of go all out or sit makes for great message board bravado. ...but if you were the coach and Percy Harvin won't go all out but Quinton Dunbar will, who are you going to play? Furthermore, what if D-Rob gives 75% and Andrades gives 70%, Debose 65%, Pittman 73%, Showers 85% but is less talented, and Thompson doesn't know the playbook? What do you do then? These are hypothetical, but reality is often much more complicated than the simplistic "answers" everyone here seems to have.

Oh, don't forget, that along with winning football games, our coach claims, and I hope it's true, that he's trying to also build young men. So teaching and motivating kids who've always just won with superior athleticism to be hard workers to is part of what's going on here.

Sorry for ranting and it isn't aimed at you necessarily :suspect: KC, but I'm just tired of reading oversimplified solutions. I agree that D-Rob doesn't fight for the ball and I'm glad that you pointed this out. I think it gives context to the oversimplified "Driskel sucks" swell on this board.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator;n78428 said:

Debose has shown he can make great catches. He hasn't had many chances in a looooooooong time. I worry more about his boneheaded plays (like the personal fouls) and knowledge of the playbook / route-running.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Robinson, Powell and Debose are the only 3 offensive players with elite speed. Everyone else sucks.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Original DC;n78773 said:
Robinson, Powell and Debose are the only 3 offensive players with elite speed. Everyone else sucks.

Let me preface this by saying I love any player that chooses to play here. But that's the point I was making the other night. Outside of a few here and there, our entire lineup is comprised of plan-B and plan-C guys. It's just reality, and the coaches essentially say that when they choose to pursue certain players more than others, or suddenly go after someone only once one of our commits has bolted.

We didn't want Worton. We wanted Lane. We didn't want Powell. We wanted Cook. We didn't want McAlister. We wanted Leonard Williams and/or McCord. Again, I'm not knocking the players. But we are not as talented as out championship teams have traditionally been, and that's on the staff for failing on the recruiting trail, most often due to players not being sold on the product or the direction of things.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n78781 said:
Let me preface this by saying I love any player that chooses to play here. But that's the point I was making the other night. Outside of a few here and there, our entire lineup is comprised of plan-B and plan-C guys. It's just reality, and the coaches essentially say that when they choose to pursue certain players more than others, or suddenly go after someone only once one of our commits has bolted.

We didn't want Worton. We wanted Lane. We didn't want Powell. We wanted Cook. We didn't want McAlister. We wanted Leonard Williams and/or McCord. Again, I'm not knocking the players. But we are not as talented as out championship teams have traditionally been, and that's on the staff for failing on the recruiting trail, most often due to players not being sold on the product or the direction of things.
I agree with this point. While most of the time the second guy is close to or as good as the target, this is not been the case here, especially on the O-line. Not getting guys like Theus and Tunsil have left us with..........fill in the blank.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n78781 said:

Which brings up point #2. Just what are we and who are we at this point? We've never established an identity under Muschamp. That can't help recruiting.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n78796]

Which brings up point #2. Just what are we and who are we at this point? We've never established an identity under Muschamp. That can't help recruiting.[/QUOTE]

This is the point I mentioned last week. Muschamp stated what he wanted our indentity to be (prostyle offense/4-3 defense based on a strong front 7), and hired two coaches that fit that indentity. Then Weis left and he hired Pease who is more of a spread guy, Quin left (4-3 based on a strong front 7) and he promoted Durkin. Pease didn't fit what we wanted to do, so we got a guy who goes further away and more spread in Roper. This team has no indentity, and we are not hiring coaches that fit the indentity that the head coach said he wanted to make. Thus we also have recruited a bunch of mismatched talent, since he has been here.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n78796]We've never established an identity under Muschamp.[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure about that 78.....In a lot of ways we are starting to resemble a big steamy pile of :kiffin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator