Little Bits & Small Pieces: Florida vs Charlotte

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Checking in with everybody, post-Charlotte and having only followed on WRUF (only thing available out here in the sticks), reading the stat lines, and seeing a few highlights. Emphasis on “few” but the one-handed grab by Ricky Pearsall should get a ton of play. Pretty amazing.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t give a brief update on my goings on, having missed an article on the win against UT, but I wound up in the hospital in Tallahassee with a bowel obstruction from a hernia related to a past operation. That led to an eight day stay with a surgery in a couple of weeks to repair the hernia with the mesh deal, so more time in the hospital is expected (not eight days again, I hope). Wrapped around all of this is a new chemo regimen that I had just started, so there’s more juggling going on here than is optimal, but we’re making it work. Doc says my heavy lifting days are over and I should be able to resume playing golf in a couple of months. And I’ve still got my boyish good looks…!

Now back to Charlotte. On the heals of a great win that featured a very good defensive effort and a well-executed offensive game plan (even if it was very controlled and run heavy), you were probably a little underwhelmed at the 1 TD, 5 FG performance by the offense that hiccuped more than it roared. Personally I’m not too surprised, considering the overall maturity of the team and maybe more importantly, the piecing together of the OL due to the suspensions from the end of UT. Listening to the pre-game, Billy alluded to Charlotte’s roster being somewhat unique in that they had something like 60 portal players on the roster that no doubt included plenty of experience with some talent mixed in. I don’t believe he was trying to build in an excuse in the event that we struggled, but I think he understands that our Gators are still in an infancy of sorts. They made great strides last week, but they haven’t arrived…they’re still traveling. So yesterday’s malaise really shouldn‘t come as a huge surprise.

* At least we seemed to have settled on a kicker. Smack’s long FG was impressive and going 5/5 on a day when the offense sputtered in the red zone was a good thing. I remember thinking when the first guy chili-dipped his first attempt in the UT game that if he was the best we had, it was going to cost us down the line somewhere. Truth of the matter, you PK is only as good as his last kick, but I’m glad Smack has gotten off to the start he has.

* Mertz got banged up a few times, but he keeps getting back up and completes a bunch of passes, albeit not as many long and over the top as we’d all like to see. I believe I heard Sean Kelly say during the broadcast that if he completed 70% tonight, he would tie Kyle Trask’s record of 4 games in a row at 70 or better. 20/23 got that taken care of. I like that Mertz can be the technician / game manager that we need at this point but also throws accurately and to our players and not the other team. Billy got pretty harshly panned for his portal misses at QB, but Mertz isn’t working out too badly. Just hope we can keep him healthy.

* If it weren’t for that pesky TE and the mobile QB, the defense might have pitched a shutout and held the 49ers to around 100 total yds. I coached with a guy one time that would always say in a situation like this that “If ‘if’s’ and ‘buts’ were candy and nuts we’d all have a Merry Christmas!” The perspective is that we’ve got guys on that side of the ball that are playing with relentless effort, responding to their coaching, making more plays than they miss. We’re heading in a good direction.

UK on the road will be a test, though I’m glad it’ll be during the daylight. I watched them play the previous week and their QB has an arm, but doesn’t seem to be much of a threat to run. They had a good back and their line got a push and gave the QB time in the pocket. I think it was Akron they were playing, so they didn’t have too much trouble. Feeling like a return to UT form by the O, line in particular is a must along with pressure on their QB and minimize receivers getting a step behind the coverage. Of course, the D front needs to keep controlling the LOS. Their gap control technique thus far has been pretty dang good. Here’s looking for a great football game next Saturday against the Cats!

Go Gators!

:chomp:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Glad to see you’re feeling better. I know you still have a long way to go, but it looks like you’re headed in the right direction!

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Your write up was measured and spot on. Our D is a different animal which seems to play with the passion and intensity of the new DC. Several on here have commented on how refreshing it is to see them properly lined up and talking amongst themselves to make sure all are in the correct position. What a difference a year makes.

The O last night was about what I expected when I learned we were without 3/5ths of the starting OL. Glad we got through it and keep the fingers crossed we do no get hit with the injury bug in that room. Mertz is better than I expected and throws really well on the run which I believe will be a possible highlight reel by the end of the season of him saving plays with the combination of his ability to flee a crumbling pocket and hit a receiver in stride while running for his life.

Special teams aren't really special. However, 5 for 5 is a home run for any FG kicker and his KO's are massive. I believe we will return a punt for a score with 1 or 7 back there.

Overall the coaching was another mixed bag. Thrilled with where we are headed on D, absolutely believe we need a dedicated game planner calling the shots on O and not BN. He needs to go to a clinic and learn how to manage TO's and some semblance of a two minute drill. Good gracious we are pitiful in clock management.

The youth, talent and enthusiasm has me pumped to head to Lexington and reassert our dominance over the Cats.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Prayer GIF by Beats 4 Hope, Inc.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome back Cover, I am glad you are doing better and I pray that all goes well for you as you make your way back to health.
Sounds like things are looking good for you and our Gators so Godspeed.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So if its any of my business, whats the chemo for?
I’m in year 12 of being diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Had a stem cell transplant at Shands under the care of Dr Jan Morab, who was phenomenal. Been on two different oral regimens and the most recent, Revlimid (Lenolidimide) lasted almost 6 years. Luckily during the span since diagnosis, the number of different treatment options has advanced greatly. I would have to look the name of the drugs up as I don’t yet have them committed to memory amidst all the other medical hubbub going on, but I’m two weeks in where I go every Friday and start with a dose of Dexamethasone (steroid) followed by an injection of Velcade, an injection specifically targeting the myeloma, and another injection for potential bone issues.
This whole process will last 18 wks, tapering down to once every two weeks toward the end. Then if all goes well, I will go for injections once a month for however long.

I also changed from Shands to Mayo. As mentioned earlier, Dr. Morab was the absolute best, but he retired and moved to NC to be near his son and grandkids. The guy who i was assigned to was a non-starter from day 1. In fact, after introducing himself the first thing he wanted to know was if I’d been vaxxed (nope) and then spent time on that sales pitch. He finally told me I looked to be doing fine and didn’t really need to see me for another year instead of the biannual visits I was accustomed to. Finally, the last visit with him was left with “there’s really no need for you to come but maybe in two years!” I finally got the message and when my myeloma markers spiked and my local hematologist sent word that I needed to get word to Shands, I cued up Patty Smyth / Scandal’s ”Goodbye to You” and called Mayo. Got set up with them, evaluated, plan in place to be administered by the folks in Tallahassee. Very pleased, haven’t looked back.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I’m in year 12 of being diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. Had a stem cell transplant at Shands under the care of Dr Jan Morab, who was phenomenal. Been on two different oral regimens and the most recent, Revlimid (Lenolidimide) lasted almost 6 years. Luckily during the span since diagnosis, the number of different treatment options has advanced greatly. I would have to look the name of the drugs up as I don’t yet have them committed to memory amidst all the other medical hubbub going on, but I’m two weeks in where I go every Friday and start with a dose of Dexamethasone (steroid) followed by an injection of Velcade, an injection specifically targeting the myeloma, and another injection for potential bone issues.
This whole process will last 18 wks, tapering down to once every two weeks toward the end. Then if all goes well, I will go for injections once a month for however long.

I also changed from Shands to Mayo. As mentioned earlier, Dr. Morab was the absolute best, but he retired and moved to NC to be near his son and grandkids. The guy who i was assigned to was a non-starter from day 1. In fact, after introducing himself the first thing he wanted to know was if I’d been vaxxed (nope) and then spent time on that sales pitch. He finally told me I looked to be doing fine and didn’t really need to see me for another year instead of the biannual visits I was accustomed to. Finally, the last visit with him was left with “there’s really no need for you to come but maybe in two years!” I finally got the message and when my myeloma markers spiked and my local hematologist sent word that I needed to get word to Shands, I cued up Patty Smyth / Scandal’s ”Goodbye to You” and called Mayo. Got set up with them, evaluated, plan in place to be administered by the folks in Tallahassee. Very pleased, haven’t looked back.
Appreciate the explanation. Having dealt with cancer for several years now I am always curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.